Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • Blues Rock thread!
  • Rio

To counter the old classics I give you those old codgers Back Door Slam:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoUDjFMgUKM&feature=related[/video]

yodagoat
    Free Member

country southern blues count?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaBsaj8BHDg

Trampus
    Free Member

Taster.

failedengineer

Rory Gallagher. Or what about another dead person, Steve marriott?

DezB
    Free Member

Any of you old fogies remember the Lime Spiders?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UodZ_fFyO8

glenp
    Free Member

As an unashamed fan of this music genre (with strict limitations) I think there is a very good reason that SRV is put forward the definitive blues-rock guitarist. Lots of people will pick the same track, but SRV’s Little Wing is just sublime, imo.

Plus of course you could also sensibly cite just about any modern rock band, since it all stems from the 60’s “white boy blues” movement – Cream, Led Zep etc etc.

Couple of excellent british bands that are well worth seeing live –

The Hoax will hopefully play again soon-ish The Hoax three man one guitar thing

Plus Larry Miller Larry Miller live – who is not only a terrific guitarist, but also exceptionally personable, entertaining and likeable. And a massive Rory fan too.

Gee-Jay
    Free Member
    nickc

Plus of course you could also sensibly cite just about any modern rock band, since it all stems from the 60’s “white boy blues” movement – Cream, Led Zep etc etc.

define Rock?

you could also argue that an awful lot of bands started just because they didn’t want to sound anything like Clapton, Led Zep etc etc

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

I completely with glenp. Big fan, along with R+B and soul.

Got to also include the Rolling Stones – very blues influenced to the point of ripping off a lot of older stuff. Probalby more successful bands have their roots blues than any other influence

Moe

Young bloods in the genre and most definitely not stale:

Oli Brown

Aynsley Lister

Joanne Shaw Taylor

Ron Sayer

Everyone to their own but music should be explored beyond your ‘favorite’. Closed minds cause wars!!

nickc

Capt the Rolling Stones aren’t blues ‘influenced’ band they’re a blues band end of. And lets be honest here, anything past about ’75 as far as their output is concerned is shit.

Successful bands of 30-40 years ago have a blues influence, not so much these days

glenp
    Free Member

Virtually everything on the rocky side of the Beatles from 60s and 70s would fall more or less in the rocky blues category. It was a great British movement too. Things have morphed over time, sure, but look at the Led Zep example to see how it typically goes – basically just very extreme beefed-up electric blues… and then they fleshed it out and diversified.

It is quite funny – I’m now 45, and I go along to a gig in this category and I’m still the youngest one there!

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Blues Rock thread!’ is closed to new replies.