Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Bluddy roadies
  • GlenMore
    Free Member
    NZCol

Great article.

Philby

Hope I'll be doing something similar when I'm that age!

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

I like the idea of 'Drum Up' style of cycling. I like the philosophy of it and the down to earth the ethos of where it originates. Working – middle class people heading out into the countryside in bunches, on their only form of cheap transport, to commune with nature and each other's company. I'm not sure how well it fits with expensive carbon fibre race bikes and modern sponsored clothing, which take their cues from a completely different arena. Fire, smoke and sausages wrapped in tin foil vs Bianchis, Rabobank and Sram Red. There's definitely a place for this style of social cycling and it won't die out, in fact I believe there's a growing cycling movement now that will soon also re-embrace this form of low-impact recreational activty again. I just don't think it'll take place on ultra-modern bikes. 🙂

senorj

Great article.
    What an inspiring bunch.
    There was me at 6am cursing the weather and having
    "maybe I won't ride later" kind of thoughts.
    But after reading about the old fellas I'm definitely off for a spin.
    In the mud.

I echo Philby's sentiments too.

J.

simonk
    Free Member

+1 Philby

What a well written peice that will keep me smiling for weeks, was lovely to see an article in a paper that is not branding cyclists as dangerous.

Simon.

stratobiker
    Free Member

Well posted GM.
    Great article.

Long may they continue.

They build 'em tough in Scotland don't they.
    SB

samuri
    Free Member

That's a fair bit about drumming up in Robert Millar's biography. Interesting reading.

carlphillips
    Free Member

i loved that article, in my job i see too many people suffering ill effects of old age so its nice to read that some lucky ones still have good health and are really enjoying themselves.

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

Fantastic article, we have loads of "old lags" in our club that are around that age, their fierce competative edge is still with them when they are in sight of the "boundary sign" 😯

That article will keep me going when im having a grim day at work and realise their is more to life than the 9-5 rat race im in.
    😀

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Hope I'm still sending 20 footers when I'm 80 😀

mt
    Free Member

Makes you understand how easy it is for most of us now.

AlteredCarbon
    Free Member

Excellent article – thanks for posting that link up.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Loved that, scuttles off to shed in search of dixies for Lochnagar weekend.

JoB
    Free Member

no_eyed_dear – using a bike to "commune with nature and each other's company" hasn't disappeared at all, the cost of the bike is irrelevant and it still continues with ultra-modern bikes, the machine is merely the catalyst

Stu

Great article – thanks for sharing.

jackthedog
    Free Member

A delightful article.

oldgit
    Free Member

I like to read this when I'm feeling hard done by, when the weathers bad and everything is stopping me from getting out on the road in the latest kit on the latest bike.
    http://www.northwoodwheelers.org.uk
    'open road' is my favourite.

2tyred

Brilliant stuff.

Always love seeing old guys out on the road, weathered faces and legs carved out of wood. Seen more miles than I could imagine.

ourmaninthenorth

oldgit – good link.

Wonder if they'll reference that in Rouleur? 😛

whytetrash

love this …cheers fella, makes you sad that these traditions are dying out….may get a campfire going on a night ride one of these days…bit wet for it tonight mind!

stucol
    Free Member

So enjoyed that article. 43 and i must be an old fart as i well remember Drum ups with the Eagle Road Club/CTC Glasgow East.

And "Habble" had nearly forgotten that one.

Many a happy time running like hell to avoid an exploding tin of baked beans secreted in the fire !

CTC used to list the drum ups in the annual handbook issued by the local DA.

Beith rocking stone, Pulpit rock ( Ardlui), Beecraigs Wood, Dumgoyne, Fintry Glen, Ardochrig, Corrie woods (Kilsyth), Finnich Glen and so many more around Glasgow.

Went back to the Glasgow CTC about 10 years ago and was saddened to hear they just go to cafes. What i ask, is wrong with sitting inside your cape in front of a blazing fire while its pissing down ?

That said, i cant resist hot choc and banoffe pie at the Hub these days !

hh45
    Free Member

Great article – Tim Hilton in his book 'One more kilometre and we're in the showers' talks about the mass appeal of riding in the 30s and 50s before cars became common place. Sleeping in hay barns the night before races and the sheer epicness of people with really hard manual jobs who still did 15-20 hours of riding every week.

HeatherBash
    Free Member

Parallels to the Glasgow climbing scene of the same era.

ourmaninthenorth

Sleeping in hay barns the night before races and the sheer epicness of people with really hard manual jobs who still did 15-20 hours of riding every week.

Mrs North's PhD supervisor told me a story of her father, an old school roadie of the 50s and 60s, who thought nothing of riding from London to Birmingham, spare wheels attached to the handlebars, to compete in a time trial. He completed the race, and rode home again.

We may be getting faster on our bikes, but as a people, I really do think we're getting soft….

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Bluddy roadies’ is closed to new replies.