Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 1,169 total)
  • Trouties New Light is on the way ( Update to all interested folks who emailed me
  • wors

so work has gone on hold for that project

🙁

trout
    Free Member

Dont look so sad Wors .

It will be for sale when it returns from its holiday probably for a good price 😆

wors

yay! email me when you decide how much, im away for a week or so but will be looking to buy something when i get back.

CountZero

Hey Trout, was thinking about the light earlier today, and I had an idea re: the mount. How about a fixing point on either end? That way, the user can choose which side of the stem they can mount the light, or, for a super-secure mount in more extreme conditions, where the bike could be chucked down the trail, a mount on both sides, so the light can only move bacKwards and forwards, with no leverage on one end risking breaking the bracket or bending it, or ripping the mounting bolt out of the light unit.

trout
    Free Member

Good thinking XIPE TOTEC 😀 though you are one day behind Paul from http://www.kadel.co.uk the friendly cnc man who suggested that and it will be mountable either side of the light . But thanks for the feedback

it is also quite a strong mount so will just spin on the bars in an over the bar experience

CHB

Trout, how do you like montys design?
    I think its great (usually kiss of death design wise!).
    If I could get a line version of that converted into AutoCAD would that be of interest?
    The team with AutoCad is different to the design team.

trout
    Free Member

CHB

I think it is pretty cool too and Thanks for taking the time to do it

CHB

trout, have mailed you PDF of montys design? What do you think? CAD version tomorrow hopefully.

trout
    Free Member

Thanks CHB your a star This place is great

forwarded it to Paul and here is his reply

Hi Chris – Troutie,

Looks good – I like it.
    If you get your contact to send it to you in dxf format if possible. Then if you e-mail it to me I will have a go and see how it looks.

Not too sure about the shading I might have to just do the lines.

is the file format possible

Luminous
    Free Member

Hi.

I've scanned this thread but I can't find a price for this light. So, how much ?.

Sorry if its already been posted.

🙂

L.

TheDTs
    Free Member

I have a laser engraver at work, It marks annodised ally really well. I'm quite happy to offer my services for the logo marking.

trout
    Free Member

Luminous

I have just realised if I had posted the price on here it would have saved me a whole load of typing answering the how much is it mails DOH

I hope the stw mods dont mind the price being put in as I will be sending some beer money on later.

Here goes and if it is out of order please delete it mods.

it can be had as a diy kit with everything needed to build it except some thermal epoxy adhesive and a small ammount of clear silicon for £145 plus pp
    the yet to be made bar mount will be extra but just how much I dont yet know.

or a built up head with either a standard 2.5 dc connector or just a cable to add your own type of connector
    for £175 plus PP
    same goes for the mount as above

there are slots for a velcro strap to helmet mount it and I am looking at sourcing some

and batteries can be had from smudge

TheDTs
    Thank you for the offer and if we get stuck that would be a great backup

postierich
    Free Member

Mods

his price is out of order delete please untill it becomes reasonable 😉

trout
    Free Member

OK I will amend it to a reasonable price

Light head for £250 😈

CHB

Trout, should be able to get in any format requested. Don't forget to give Monty credit, its his design! All I did was persuade a nice guy at work with chocolate (not easy when you work for a company that makes cake and coffee!).

CHB

Trout, you have mail with all desired formats. Monty, if you would like a PDF copy of your design, email me in profile and I will send this evening.

Luminous
    Free Member

Trout.

Ah, I see, it wasn't just a case of post a figure. You're right of course, I too think that we should ackowledge STW and their forum 🙂

Slots for velcro straps seem a good idea, bet one could helmet attach one of your lights using a simple strap arrangement.

Cheers

L.

Solo
    Free Member

Err. For less than £200, to get a light using the latest LEDs, thus getting loads of lumens for your GBP, sounds good to me.

I don't want to get bogged down in the pros and cons, but wouldn't spending similar if not more money on an established brand see you end up with older LED tech ?.

Anyway, theres still the cost of the batt and charger to consider too.

Smudge. What are this years prices for a battery & charger to power this Trout light ?.

Ta.

😀

Solo.

Dimmadan
    Free Member

Are we going to see a full kit price posted?

Fully built light, with bar and helmet mount
    complete with battery and charger.

Basically one complete package like most manufactureres offer as standard.

I for one am not happy doing my own build and don't trust that I will select the right charger, battery or connector.

And I bet I am not the only one!

Gary_M
    Free Member

Just got a battery from Smudge this morning (thanks btw) for trouts light when it arrives.

Cost was £46 for a 14.8V 2.6Ah battery plus £23 for a charger. This will give around 2.5hours on full power (full being 2000ish lumens). There is also a 14.8V 5.2Ah battery at £83, plus £23 for a charger. You would need to add postage on to this.

This is my 2nd smudge battery and I'm very, very impressed with the quality.

So to recap for under £250 you're getting the best light/battery combo available with insane amounts of power on max from two very helpful, decent guys.

And it's even going to have a fancy laser etched fish on the side.

Basically one complete package like most manufactureres offer as standard.

But what other sellers are offering a light/battery combo of this quality throwing out anywhere near 2000 lumens for £250. The lupine betty for example is £650 and thats 1500 lumens.

You really can't expect to have it all.

Maybe trout should stick it in a fancy box, throw in some instructions and charge £500.

marsdenman
    Free Member

PAGING MR TROUT…….

Velcro cable ties any good….

allthegear
    Free Member

@marsdenman – I hope so, there's a big box full of 'em near my desk!!! 🙂

Swiftacular
    Free Member

The lupine betty for example is £650 and thats 1500 lumens.

According to the latest Light & Motion advert, the betty only kicks out under 800 lumens.

trout
    Free Member

CHB And MONTY You are stars Thank you for your efforts Files gone to the cnc shop just now
    also thanks to the others who offered their help or ideas .

Dimmadan when I posted the thread there was not a price as I didnot know any prices for the parts

now we are nearly there with a figure of £250 pluss PP for a light / battery / charger .

yes the mount is not yet in the mix but will be once the cnc shop have got me a price sorted out

also nearly half the Folks who have sent deposits are wanting to reuse their existing batteries so they are just buying the light and mount .

It is a unique hand built light for a price well under it true value if the major lights prices are owt to go by
    Thanks Gary-M
    nicely said

Thanks marsdenman will have a look there .

nockmeister
    Free Member

Are these going to be a limited run…er it's going to take me a generate the pennies. Are the colours now fixed, any chance of a red un??

Fantastic looking bit of kit Trout!

trout
    Free Member

Thanks Nockmeister

You will be ok Paul the cnc is a good guy and there will be more available and I think Red is doable too

Luminous
    Free Member

"But what other sellers are offering a light/battery combo of this quality throwing out anywhere near 2000 lumens for £250"

Hopefully there will be another soon……..

L.

Luminous
    Free Member

8)

L.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Luminous thats hardly the best way to endear yourself to the stw masses. It's all about trust.

trout
    Free Member

Luminous
    Now you have put your card on the table you may as well tell us about what it is going to be .

BigJohn

I've just done a textual analysis on Luminous's posts.

It shows a remarkable similarity to some other posters. Fruit, Neil@Superstar etc.etc.

CountZero

Anyone seen the new light On-One are touting? P7 SSC all in one using AA's – £199, going up to £299. Makes Trout's light look like the bargain it is. And yes, I know it's not a self-contained unit, but for the money I can more than live with that, and I'll continue to use my DX P7 torch, with the same lumens, that cost me £28. Trout's self-contained unit should undercut that by a significant margin as well.

Luminous
    Free Member

Gary_M.

Thanks for your post. Thats exactly what I didn't need. I'm trying to fulfill a desire to make a bike light and you are shooting me down before I get off the ground. What have I done to you ?.

Chris. This is a prototype, the production model will be more refined. Both should produce a similar output to yours.
    YOU HAVE MAIL……

Thanks.
    L.

sv

Mods should delete this now, we know Troutie and his abilities/quality products and where to find him. Along comes a newbie and jumps on the back of somebody elses work. Certainly a 'TB' type.

smudge
    Free Member

Hi yah 🙂
    sorry for not being on for a while but snowed under at the minute, Only been back from hols a week ago, tonnes of emails gotten through 8O. Thank you for all you're kind comments. daughter's just started secondary school and have been converting our loft into a study room for her …. and me 😉

Thanks for letting me know you got it ok garry, but remember those prices arent fixed so to speak and are dictated by the Exchange rate.

But I think i'm now up to date on emails so if anyone is awaiting for a reply please email me again.

….. popping back into the loft to do a bit more wiring.

Luminous
    Free Member

SV. You couldn't be more wrong. I helped Chris in his earlier days and my light should be of sufficient quality, once its finished. Chris is a good man who has come up with a really good design in the 6 LED light he has developed.

As for being a "newbie" I've been making homebrew lights since RDH's thread. I've never had a failure, I use IP67 rated components and Mill-spec stuff and I am an Engnieer by profession, designing cars and planes, thanks.

I am a single person who is capable of putting together a light that other may wish to use. Whats wrong with that ?.

L.

Dimmadan
    Free Member

I wasn't having a go or trying to wind people up. Just wanted to know how much cash i need to put by in this months paypacket for a complete kit for when they are ready.

CountZero

Luminous, if that's a self-contained light, that's good competition for On-One's LUU light. Personally, I think the more one-man operations producing top quality lights at really affordable prices, the better. There are plenty on here who were hyper-critical of people who bought the DX light, ignoring the fact that for many, that's all they can afford, and that's fine, but no-one should be criticising the homebrew crowd. The more the merrier, I think.

Luminous
    Free Member

Xipe Totec.

Thank you so much for expressing a fair and open minded opinion on someone attempting to join the scene.

I am some way behind Trout in terms of reaching "job-1", but I'm going to give it a go anyway and all I might have hoped for is that the STW massive may have receive my potential arrival with a neutral and open minded view. IF this light makes it into production, then it will stand or fall on its merits, I expect no favours.

The pic I posted is of a prototype. If testing in the coming weeks doesn't meet my exacting standards, then this light will not be offered for purchase.

I have supported Trout on here for a long time, I didn't think that because I wanted to do something myself, that people would be so hostile.

In the meanwhile, for those ordering the Trout light, I'd like to point out that I've purchased batteries from Smudge and I really can't endorse his work too much. The advice and service is fantastic. If you buy a Trout light ( and I certainly see the attraction ) continue the wise choices you are making by buying a batt set-up from Smudge.

L.

CHB

Luminous, I wouldn't fret!
    The STW lot are still raw from Fruits cynical use of alternative usernames (aledged?).
    I suspect in hindsight Trouts topic was not the ideal launch platform for ya, much better to start a fresh topic!
    Other than that I agree that the more good quality homebrew the better.

Best of luck

CHB

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 1,169 total)

The topic ‘Trouties New Light is on the way ( Update to all interested folks who emailed me’ is closed to new replies.