Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Blorenge, Brecon Beacons.
  • nickegg
    Free Member

Has anyone on here done the route in MBR?

We're going tomorrow but just wondered if anyone was familiar with the area around Blorenge/Abergavenny?

Thanks

Nick.

smiffy

The Blorenge is not in the Brecon Beacons!

It is very wet there now; the best time to ride it had passed, unfortunately.

You will find the actual Beacons far more winter-friendly.

If you do go to The Blorenge, be sure to have a pint a The Lamb and Fox at Pwll-Du, I'll probably see you there.

psling
    Free Member

Whilst the Blorenge may not actually be in the Brecon Beacons it IS within the Brecon Beacons National Park, so nickegg isn't entirely incorrect and smiffy isn't entirely correct 🙂 I would however concur with everything else that smiffy says 😉

nickegg
    Free Member

Thanks for that but i'm not afraid of water/mud 😉

Any other suggestions of routes that are of a similar length then?

smiffy

Similar length to what?

nickegg
    Free Member

Nevermind 🙄

smiffy

Not sure what the rolling-eye image means; I'd like to help, but you'll have to clarify your question. You refer to a publication I haven't read, so I can only give you some suggestions if you say what "similar length" you're looking for.

anokdale
    Free Member

I live down that way and there will be better rides at the moment, as smiffy says it will be wet and that run is not the best at this time.

Concur with his location to have a pint though.

smiffy

Whereabouts Anokdale?

I'm Llanelly Hill.

anokdale
    Free Member

Smiffy – Between Grosmont and Cross Ash, i do my off road stuff over on the Black Mountain side with the odd trip to the FOD.

Rickos
    Free Member

I've done that route in MBR and it's OK, but at the end you still have to lose a lot of height on road which is a shame. It's OK as routes go – took me about 2 and a quarter hours at a pootle and a stop or two to look at the views. I'd prefer to do something else in the area before that one though. There's lots to choose from so check out http://www.mtb-wales.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Subjects&file=index&POSTNUKESID=1e001f93cb77ad84955667bf1e960511

nickegg
    Free Member

Well…just got back from riding my Orange on the Blorenge! and we loved it.

We rode along the canal from Lanfoist to the old railway line at Govilion, then up to the Tyla and up around the side of Gilwern Hill and up the road to Keepers Pond, round the side of Blorenge and down the bridleway to the woods. That bridleway was great, far more technical than anything round here and not that wet. Far less so than most of our local muddy bridleways!

The singletrack around the edge of Blorenge was great too, although the climb out of the punchbowl was tough, only mananged to get to the first corner.

You do lose height quickly on the road but i can't see an alternative on the OS map unless when you get out of the punchbowl you head up onto the road and up to the parking opposite carn-y-gorfydd. There's a bridleway there (down to craig-yr-hafod) that might be worth doing??

I'm sure there's better in the area but that was our first proper ride in the Beacons area.

We're after some more technical riding having got abit bored with our more local trails. Looking forward to finding more good stuff in the future.

Ambrose

Anokdale- do you mean Black Mountains or Black Mountain? They are quite a long way apart 😉

anokdale
    Free Member

Ambrose – well spotted, Mountains, walked the "mountain" a few times never rode it and i will not be on the Mountains for another week due to work. 😥

To the OP glad you had a good time

cubemeup
    Free Member

anyone rode this latley?
    looks a nice loop

valleydaddy
    Free Member

shock MBR repeats a route a year later!!

Chris is a good loop worth a go imho

cubemeup
    Free Member

i think it would be ok for a group ride 18km

valleydaddy
    Free Member

indeed it would if you did the same as MBR this month and start/end at Big Pit the cafe would be a goor refuel point 😀

cubemeup
    Free Member

im up for that
    what forum are the boys using or shall we just arrange it on our facebook page?
    bikeradar seems a bit clicky

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Blorenge, Brecon Beacons.’ is closed to new replies.