Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Bloody lorry drivers
  • petec
    Free Member

Look at that Chimney Stack.

Both the house on the left and the pub on the right are Grade II listed.

And not only that – HGVs are banned in the village, for that very reason.

woody2000

More likely “bloody sat nav”!

But still, that’s a mess no doubt. Foreign plates – can we blame Brexit?

aP
    Free Member

You need to be more Daily Mail – “Bloody foreign lorry drivers”.

binners

I feel your pain

We live on a tiny, narrow road, single file traffic, on a 25% gradient. The amount of wagon drivers who just blindly follow their sat nav and get completely stuck is ridiculous. One even tried it in the snow last week, resulting in the road being closed for hours as the police tried to dislodge the bloody thing, as it wheelspun sideways on the bloody steep ungritted hill.

At what point do you stop following what the screen says, actually look up, apply a bit of common sense, and think “theres no ****ing way this is going to fit up/through/down there?”

matt_outandabout

Parked on double yellows now as well. 😉

Drac

The Sat Nav didn’t drive it there.

stumpy01

Yep.

Pain in the arse near us….

There’s an ancient bridge over the river just down the road from us with a 7.5T limit – signs on the approach but you still get HGV’s oil tankers & all sorts going over it.
    It’s a narrow bridge & there’s a t-junction over one side of it. The HGVs can’t swing round the space available without hitting the bridge as the arse end of the trailer swings out….

This is the bridge:

and this was the damage the last time a lorry driver decided it’s be alreet to ignore all the signs….

EDIT – my pic of the bridge has the bollards up from where they were repairing that very damage!!

johnners
    Free Member

You can’t blame the satnav, the driver drove the wagon into there. Alarming lack of spatial awareness in an HGV driver considering some of the impressive manoeuvring* I’ve seen them pull off.

* took me 4 goes to spell that correctly!

weeksy

It’s a horrific turn at the best of times, i hate coming down there in the car with motorbike on trailer behind me and taking a left…. I hate coming back too actually and coming from Benson and then going up the hill…

petec
    Free Member

scuppered my drive home. And the drive out this evening to the boy’s football training.

He must have got it under the bridge at pangbourne, and over the 7.5T weight limit at Lower Basildon.

Tis a tight left coming down. And great fun when the combines come down.

Funnily enough, the chap who campaigned for traffic lights in the first place was Bomber Harris, late of the parish.

timber

We have great trouble explaining to lorry drivers that access to our sites is big enough. The sites that aren’t big enough we have great trouble stopping the timber wagon drivers from proving otherwise. Do far we’ve never had to help a timber lorry out, but have had to pick up the back end of a 7.5ton lorry in a yard we can turn a tractor and trailer.

votchy
    Free Member

Parked on double yellows now as well.

Its ok, he has his hazards on so exempt from parking restrictions 😉

phiiiiil

To steal a computery phrase

PEBSNAW

Problem Exists Between Sat-Nav And Wheel?

D0NK

The Sat Nav didn’t drive it there. what he said, to paraphrase my mum “if the satnav said jump in a fire would you?”. We’re back to idiot driver who happened to be driving a lorry (Fixed so as not to upset the perfectly sensible lorry drivers out there)

whitestone
    Free Member

We live at the end of the tarmac section of a very steep green lane (it was originally the farm access track and was adopted by the council/HA some time in the 1970s). Despite the HA erecting a no through road sign at the top of the lane we still get people following their sat-nav. The latest conversation after they had turned round in the yard went like this:

Me: “Where are you trying to get to?”
    Her: “Wiltshire Drive, XXXX”
    Me: “Following your sat-nav?”
    Her: “errr, yes”
    Me: “Did you not see the sign at the top of the lane?”
    Her: “Yes, but I didn’t think it applied to cars.”!!!!
    Me (after rolling eyes): “At the top of the lane turn right …”

The problem with common sense is that it isn’t common.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Funnily enough, the chap who campaigned for traffic lights in the first place was Bomber Harris, late of the parish.

Sir Arthur ‘Bomber’ Harris? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sir_Arthur_Harris,_1st_Baronet

Or Essex native Steve ‘Bomber’ Harris? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Harris_(musician)

petec
    Free Member

The former. Long term resident of Goring (so not quite Streatley I admit…)

Even longer term resident now of course

RoterStern
    Free Member

Plates look like Polish plates. IME the standard of driving from a truck with Polish plates is mostly appalling.

GrahamS

There’s an ancient bridge over the river just down the road from us with a 7.5T limit – signs on the approach but you still get HGV’s oil tankers & all sorts going over it.

Less of a problem on our local bridge:

Her: “Yes, but I didn’t think it applied to cars.”!!!!

Eh?? Who did she think it did apply to then??

whitestone
    Free Member

No idea, I think it was just the first thing that blurted out of her mouth before her brain could be found.

GrahamS

whitestone: my advice is to make sure that the road is recorded correctly on Google Maps (right click and “Report a Data Problem”) and also on OpenStreetMap (use the Add Note button, or join up and fix it yourself).

I saw a reduction in the number of cars doing u-turns at the bottom of our dead-end street after I fixed the mapping to remove the non-existent through road.

renton
    Free Member

petec whereabouts is that as it looks familiar !!

petec
    Free Member

that’s the bottom of Streatley Hill. You’ve either seen it after coming down on a bike (and therefore have many insects on your glasses) or going up (so are looking at the ground).

renton
    Free Member

Are there traffic lights near by ? think I might have passed through in the car on the way to weeksy house way back !

petec
    Free Member

oh yes. Set a little distance back to allow for slow cars/tractors coming through.

Bit dangerous as a junction. More dangerous a few years back when there was no footpath. The Bull donated part of the garden for that. Very good of them.

weeksy

Renton, if that was when i was in Goring and you were coming from Benson way you’d have done a left at the lights, right at the lights would be where the lorry is embedded.

renton
    Free Member

I seem to remember coming through goring over the bridge and coming to a set of lights on a cross road, left would have took me to reading i think, anyway Im sure I went straight over up a steep hill to your s

petec
    Free Member

well that crossroads is this crossroads. The lorry was coming from Reading, turning left to go up the steep hill (bit stupid even attempting that!)

bikebouy
    Free Member

Less of a problem with them there foreiiiiiign lorrieeeeees in a few years time. 😉

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Even longer term resident now of course

😆

stgeorge

Sir Arthur ‘Bomber’ Harris? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sir_Arthur_Harris,_1st_Baronet

Or Essex native Steve ‘Bomber’ Harris? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Harris_(musician)

Or even

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colin_%22Bomber%22_Harris_vs_Colin_%22Bomber%22_Harris

Northwind

timber – Member

We have great trouble explaining to lorry drivers that access to our sites is big enough. The sites that aren’t big enough we have great trouble stopping the timber wagon drivers from proving otherwise. Do far we’ve never had to help a timber lorry out

Normal laws of physics don’t apply to timber wagons though. Course you can do 80mph on that single track gravel road!

newrobdob
    Free Member

OP – that looks like pretty bad damage to that house. I would not like to come home and see that. 🙁

wilburt
    Free Member

My uncle was tanker drive for Shell, spent more time on courses than driving and earned more than my father who fixed jet engines and my god he took his job seriously.

I’m sure thats still the case for many but perhaps a few more exceptions now.

petec
    Free Member

the lorry is out now

the stack is definitely unsafe. Hopefully they can repair it. Only problem is the road is single carriageway, so once scaffold is there…could be shut for a few days.

petec
    Free Member

Just like to point out, they’re not my photos, but Tim Schulz

bikebouy
    Free Member

Let hope the idiot driver gets the bill, and not his insurance company (assuming he’s insured, obvz)

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

as you were…

uselesshippy
    Free Member

That’s nice of you bikebouy, financially cripple someone for making a (admittedly very stupid) mistake.

Edric64
    Free Member

Why should insurance pay for such stupidity? Insurance is for genuine mistakes not for being a total fu++wit

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Bloody lorry drivers’ is closed to new replies.