Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Bleeding Shimano Brakes
  • franksinatra

I’m only recent convert to Shimano brakes having always had Avid before. I now have 575’s on my Genesis.

I’ve not bled them before and am a little confused about the different bleed kits, do I need the little yellow spacer, the oil cup thing or will one of the cheapo bleed kits with a squeezy bottle a tube do the job okay?

Any recommendations of good kits or easy instructions would be great.

Ta

timbur
    Free Member

Looks like you need that funny yellow bucket/funnel thing.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

i wouldn’t bother with a bleed kit.

get a bottle of fluid, a syringe and a lenght of plastic tube.

set the bike up so the brake line is as near vertical as possible, calliper at the bottom, lever at the top.
    Twist the lever so the reservoir cap is horizontal.
    Remove the brake pads, push the pistons apart and fit a (yellow) spacer (or block of suitbal sized wood) between them.
    Connect tube to syringe and bleed nipple.
    Remove reservoir cap.
    Open bleed nipple, suck all the fluid out.
    If the fluid is old/dirty, dispose of it appropriatly.
    If its ok to reuse, top the syringe up from the new bottle. squirt the air out of the syringe/tube and reconnect to the bleed nipple.
    Push the fluid into the calliper until it fills up the reservoir to the top, and there’re no air bubbles coming out.
    Close the nipple and remove the syringe, put the cap back on.

Sorted.

timbur
    Free Member

Oh, LHM fluid from Halfords is a lot cheaper than Shimano Mineral Oil and just as good.

timbur
    Free Member

ir-b, I was going to say that but does it work for the newer style of Shimano brakes as well? Not tried the newer style lever yet. The resovoir looks like it’s in an odd position for bleeding.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

good point.
    Looking at the tech doc it looks liek you only need to unscrew the bleed screw on the lever, not take the cap off. Easy!

ir_bandito
    Free Member

and the funnel etc is to bleed from the top, pumping the fluid through. Reverse bleeding is always better IMO

timbur
    Free Member

Then a rag to hand when the excess fluid spurts out the bleed screw would be good then :O)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Bleeding Shimano Brakes’ is closed to new replies.