Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Bleeding radiators – unusual valve content
  • cinnamon_girl

Is there anyone who can advise poor little me please?

Majority of radiators have standard type of valve (which I can do) but the newer radiators have a square shaped one. ❓

It almost looks as though a flat head screwdriver is needed.

Any ideas please?

As always, thank you so much. 🙂

gusamc
    Free Member

pic would help as I don’t really get your description

I have the square type(which I think is pretty universal) and there is a standard key available.
    like this
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-X-RADIATOR-AIR-BLEED-BLEEDING-KEY-ALLOY-Fits-all-standard-style-radiators-/170707887710?pt=UK_DIY_Materials_Plumbing_MJ&hash=item27befba65e

paulosoxo
    Free Member

That type?

cinnamon_girl

Thanks for the replies. 🙂

gusamac – yes I can do those!

paulosoxo – that’s the one! What do I need for it please?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Just a flat-bladed screwdriver I fink CG 🙂

Paul’s the plumbing expert though so I’d hang fire for his answer.

gusamc
    Free Member

this may or may not fit …. as I’ve not seen that new type

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Plumbers-Radiator-Valve-Utility-Key-Plumbing-Tools-/280631661347?pt=UK_DIY_Materials_Plumbing_MJ&hash=item4156f35323

but ?? is it the top one ????????

totalshell

a flat head screw driver or a radiator key, make sure boiler is off and rads are cold,start downstairs and work your way through house finishing in bathroom. if a combi re pressurise if not thats it

cinnamon_girl

My house has been extended and have two radiators with odd shaped valves.

All other radiators are standard and I’ve had plenty of practice doing those!

bigyinn
    Free Member

Well, I thought you were supposed to bleed them with the heating on. You learn something new on here all the time!

cinnamon_girl

Well, when I Googled, one site said that both valves at base should be opened. I’ve never done that but always made sure heating was off.

scaredypants

How can you bleed radiators without the pump running ?

cinnamon_girl

Well, it’s worked for me before. Air escapes then tighten valve. Radiator warm all the way.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

scaredypants – Member

How can you bleed radiators without the pump running ?

Because there’s pressure in the system, either from a sealed system that is pressurised, or from a head of water stored in a tank

The pump just circulates the water

scaredypants

eeeeeeeh, well I never !

cinnamon_girl

paulosoxo – could you confirm please that I just need to use a flat head screwdriver? Thanks. 🙂

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Yeah, but watch the water, it comes out of a nozzle, not the bleed screw itself, you should be able to rotate the plastic bit round

And thanks for spelling my name right!

Bear
    Free Member

yes, or a standard radiator bleed key will work.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Try various tools, then get a big pair of molegrips and chew the thing right up, then smack it with a big hammer.

You will never get it to close again. 🙁

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Bear – Member

yes, or a standard radiator bleed key will work.

In my assuming that you’ve tried a key, I probably should have mentioned this too

cinnamon_girl

Thanks paulosoxo. 🙂

Elf – in my last house on one occasion when I bled the bathroom radiator, the actual valve flew out. Cue flooded bathroom and didn’t have any grips either. 😯

I try to stay away from hammers after losing my temper recently. 😳

cinnamon_girl

Er no, I haven’t tried the standard key cos it didn’t look as though it would fit.

Bear
    Free Member

Yup will fit, c’mon poxo you’ve been to those call outs with no heating and just turned the stat up. Remember they are all customers!!!

Sorry CG but we do come across some beauties in our line of work!

totalshell

had a turn the stat up last week and a put credit in the meter.. have a customer who ‘bleeds’ a pint of water from each rad each week to keep em fresh.. had my first house last week with a meter with no ecv.. and on sat had a combi with no flue..

Bear
    Free Member

TS – thank god I don’t have to do much of that sort of work. Am self employed and with a decent customer base. Although I do have to work for NHBC on faults and find some horrors!
    Worst was a big block of flats that were very dangerous. 95 very unhappy residents

Sandwich

Elf, you’ve spent too much time with WCA! Hammers are not normal plumbing tools 😉

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Yes they are! 😀

I went a bit loopy once on a radiator, and twatted the living hell out of it so much I damaged a drop-forged hammer. 😮

Wasn’t my finest moment, but it weren’t half satisfying.

cinnamon_girl

Just a little update from C_G Towers:

One of the extension radiators proved to be a struggle – ended up using pliers to hold the nut in position whilst I undone the valve. All have now been done and the proof of the pudding will be when I next put the heating on. 🙂

Thanks again for all the replies and you may be interested to know I have bought a new book entitled the Ultimate Encyclopedia of DIY. 8)

cinnamon_girl

Little update … heating went on last night, all OK apart from one radiator same as paul’s pic above. Barely any heat from it.

Heating has been making a loud clunking noise, wasn’t sure if it was fireworks, so suspect it needs some magic potion pumped into the system.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Bleeding radiators – unusual valve content’ is closed to new replies.