Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • blasting alumium
  • rob1984p
    Free Member

I plan to rebuild my Yeti DH9 but it’s scruffy and has stress marks in the paint which is meant to be pretty normal on these bikes but I want to strip it off to check none of them need more attention.

I hoped to dip it but seemingly nobody around Bridgwater is keen, i’ve been offered shotblasting or beadblasting. Apparently, bead blasting leaves a smoother surface but does anyone know whether it will be a surface I could mirror polish at home?

I could use Nitro Mors but from experience it’s very time consuming.

ken_shields
    Free Member

If you want to polish it use nitromors. Blasting of any kind will leave a much rougher surface and be therefore much harder to get a good polished finish.

Also if you get it blasted it will possibly hide and slight stress marks or even a slight crack

If you’re worried about any possible cracks then you could get it crack tested. These people would do that for you

Exova
    No. 1 Festival Units
    The Showground Business Park
    Bridgwater, Somerset
    TA6 6LS
    United Kingdom

Enquiries

Telephone: +44 (0) 1278 456 888
    E-Mail: info@exova.com

rob1984p
    Free Member

Ken,
    That’s some great information, thanks.

thepodge
    Free Member

walnut shell is supposed to be good for blasting aluminium

Macavity
    Free Member

Soda blasting is fairly gentle on aluminium, minimum distortion on the surface and to the shape of the metal, and is OK for removing paint. Although no use for removing powder coat.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘blasting alumium’ is closed to new replies.