Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • 'Blackswan'… can someone explain to me what the point of this film was?
  • no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Wall to wall positive reviews and universally acclaimed, apparently.

I’d like those 2hrs of my life back please!

I found it completly unmoving, a bit like watching a pretentious Channel perfume ad (“you must become the Blackswan!”), blended with tired Kubric-esque horror cliches.

I can not be the only one, surely..? 😯

..Or maybe I’m missing something?
    Anyone who writes ‘People in liking different things shock’, or similar type singletrackworld drivel has, quite frankly, the wit of an amoeba.

upcreek
    Free Member

I thought it was meant to be a bout some woman slowly going mad or is that another film?

cynic-al
    Free Member

I think we’ve taken “what is the point” threads too far 😉

The last one got deleted 🙄

TheBrick
    Free Member

Sounds like it’s something to do with an emo swan. Maybe it needs to undergo the goth to boss program.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

The whole point of the film was the girly sexy scene.

16stonepig
    Free Member

I liked it. But maybe that’s just because I’m much, much more intelligent and cultured than you.

RobHilton
    Free Member

The whole point of the film was the girly sexy scene.

Exactly!

I thought it was brilliant – the whole film that is, but the psychotic lesbianess added a whole other fantastic level.

Stuey01
    Free Member

Mila Kunis = hotness

chvck
    Free Member

I enjoyed the film, I’m sure there is some point to it but I don’t care what it is. What’s the point of the majority of films? To provide entertainment to the masses? Films don’t have to have some special meaning to them.

poppa
    Free Member

The whole point of it was to make you so angry you posted on STW. Honestly, that’s how important you are. 😆

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

I didn’t really like it that much. Thought the first bit was good, then post girl sex scene/last half it went a bit weird for me. Shame as the trailors made it look pretty good.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Poppa… a bit like you and Masterchef then, eh… 😆

Loser.

5lab

its a way to waste 2 hours of your life earning brownie points with the GF, so later on she noshes you off whilst you think about mila kunis.

She was both swans in the ballet, but also in real life. Shocker.

brakes
    Free Member

watching a pretentious Channel perfume

^this is exactly what I thought
    the optimal scene involving the two ladies was spoiled by the sound department deciding to dub it with a pig eating from a trough…

Dolcered

thought it was awful. maybe if youre obsessed with dance you might be able to empathise with the lead character. otherwise i found her character weak, (mental health issues aside). not a film for me.

Now office space from 1999 gets my vote.

trailertrash

PI was better.

its a way to waste 2 hours of your life earning brownie points with the GF, so later on she noshes you off whilst you think about mila kunis.

She was both swans in the ballet, but also in real life. Shocker.

forum gold? head in hands moment.

richmars

The point? To make money, so it worked for you.

poppa
    Free Member

Hey masterchef caused a national outrage, I was just a conduit for the zeitgest!

Stalker 😕

magowen100
    Free Member

I’m with the OP on this one. It was rubbish. I actually came out and had to ask people around me if they thought it was as rubbish as I thought it was – They did. Its a bloated, cliched, deposit of a film.
    I actually felt quite angry that all the film critics seems to have been in cahoots to give a really bad film a good review.
    Then I found the genius of it – some of the first reviews essentially said that if you didn’t think it was amazing then you’re obviously not clever or cultured enough to understand it. Thus all the rest of the hack reviewers (who probably didn’t actually watch the tripe)didn’t want to appear dumb and lo and behold its up for an Oscar!
    Time out has the best example of this – viewers reviews give black swan 2 stars, tabloid reviewers give it 5 out of 5.
    That was 8 quid I could have spent on so many other things…

BigJohn

Like all good films and novels – it illuminates the human condition.

roger_mellie

I thought Natalie Portman’s acting was excellent, even though the film itself was utter tosh (if that makes sense). It all got a bit much for me when she supposedly topped the other dancer and stuffed her in a cupboard – I started laughing out loud at this point.

kimbers

roger mellie way to ruin the film!

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Anyone who writes ‘People in liking different things shock’, or similar type singletrackworld drivel has, quite frankly, the wit of an amoeba.

STW’er in amoebic-like failure to understand that some people do actually like different things and that’s not a bad thing shocker.

chakaping
    Free Member

It’s a (supposedly clever) chick flick isn’t it?

I could tell that from the review on Film 2011.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

^^^^^ ARRRRGGGHHH!!!! Noooooooooo…. ^^^^^

It just had to happen didn’t it?

You do read The Sun, don’t you.

I do understand that people like different things – I’m fine with that. The point of my thread was to find out why. I’ve explained why I thought it wasn’t very good, despite the good reviews. Perhaps I was asking what it was I’d missed, not to be treated to such infantile inane comments?

Anyways, I’ve got a theory about this, ’cause there’s been a number of quite frankly rubbish films I’ve seen over the last 2 years, each with supposed ‘universal acclaim’. I’m quite sure that the speed of information spread with the internet nowadays means that few critics, if any, are prepared to actually stick their necks out and buck the precieved trend.

… all a bit like this place, come to think of it! 😉

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

I reluctantly went along with missus. Learn about the love scene and cheered up.

But I thought it was great. I took it as about obsession, mental illness and being delusional.

kimbers

how does it compare with other aronofsky films?

i loved pi and requiem for a dream is amazing, the wrestler was good, the fountain was also good if a bit channel 5 tv movie in places

ps noidea stop being so obnoxious- art is subjective

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

there’s been a number of quite frankly rubbish films I’ve seen over the last 2 years

If you had the self-awareness to understand the difference between objective reality, and your subjective perceptions, then you’d have a far better chance of understanding films like Black Swan.

HTH

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

It’s a film about anxiety.

samuri
    Free Member

I got all evening to drink beer and play on the XBOX with the volume on really loud while my wife went to watch it with one of her mates.

That, my friends, is the whole point of films like that.

philconsequence
    Free Member

from a mental health point of view…i thought it was fantastic, from a directing point of view…. fantastic, acting… again fantastic.

certain films you have to be willing to open your mind and look out for the deeper stuff instead of expecting it on a plate like some directors do when trying to be clever. on the surface black swan is about a girl who goes a bit mad, look deeper and you’ll find much more in my humble opinion.

liked it a lot, might watch it again.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Lesbians: not like it is in the movies.

If you had the self-awareness to understand the difference between objective reality, and your subjective perceptions, then you’d have a far better chance of understanding films like Black Swan.

I haven’t even got the self-awareness to understand what the f*** you’re on about.

Blissfully spending a life staying away from arty farty, psycho-analytical twaddle.

brakes
    Free Member

look deeper and you’ll find much more in my humble opinion

like what?
    you shouldn’t have to look much deeper though, it should be apparent

redthunder
    Free Member

Is it a film about a pub ?

Kunstler

Perhaps subjective reality.

I thought it was good but I felt at times that Natalie Portman’s acting was a bit (and I can’t find the best way to put this) over acting. You notice the acting. Sounds a bit mealy mouthed now I think about it.

I also couldn’t help but think of ‘The Red Shoes’ – a film about obsession in ballet. One big difference (apart from those grating 1940s clipped accents) is the amazing scene where Moira Shearer gets taken over in the dance. Wasn’t quite so swept along in Black Swan.

Is the Kings Speech any better, or yet another over-hyped pile of shyte?

Every clip I’ve heard sounds mind numbingly dull.

magowen100
    Free Member

(Does best Rentaghost voice)
    Its all a dream – my reality is not the same as your reality – was I crazy from the beginning….. whoooohoooohooo

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Kings Speech is a couple of hours I want back.

andyl
    Free Member

Is not a film you can go to see with the missus for brownie points while secretly ogling Natalie Portman and not paying any attention to the plot?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘'Blackswan'… can someone explain to me what the point of this film was?’ is closed to new replies.