Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Black err, Wednesday?
  • scotroutes

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-30380074#

“Forecast high winds and storm conditions will impact on the normal scheduled sailings.”

The RNLI said some of those involved in maritime activities have dubbed Wednesday “Black Wednesday” because of the severity of the conditions forecast.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Hmmm. Think I’ll ride in to work tomorrow instead of Wednesday then…

DT78
    Free Member

aha just the opportunity to grab that KOM

fasthaggis

Surfs up!

40mpg

I thought they said last week that black holes were larger, but further away than previously thought. Is this an inverse Father Ted theorum at work?

BoardinBob

Looking at the week ahead the temps are going to go from +8 tomorrow to -8 on Saturday 8)

hot_fiat

SHHHHIIiiiiiii…..
    Bundoran 😯

toby1

East Anglia – not in imminent danger, sigh, one day something interesting will happen here!

BillMC

Will be a bit of a paddle out in 62mph zephyrs.

scotroutes

Now it’s a Weather Bomb!

Stornoway Coastguard has warned that the sea state could become “phenomenal”, the term used to describe the worst conditions.

BBC Scotland weather presenter Christopher Blanchett said the storm has rapidly developed in strength in a process known as explosive cyclogenesis, or what some refer to as a “weather bomb”.

richmtb

’tis but a breeze!

iainc

blowing a proper hoolie already here (East Kilbride)

jambalaya
    Free Member

Hope the fisherman stay ashore.

I can’t imagine what a phenomenal sea state would be like

molgrips
    Free Member

Someone translate that surf forecast for me into impressionable non-surfer language please?

34ft waves? As in, they are coming up the beach 34 foot from the surface of land?

jam-bo

**** huge.

jam-bo

jam-bo

dmorts

It’s so large they ran out of colours on the scale

Scapegoat

“Explosive Cyclogenesis”? I had that halfway round Llandegla on my Altitude. I’m blaming the Jhinga Bhuna I had the night before.

slowoldman

Well for Stockport the Met Office says winds gusting up to 40mph and temperature feels like -1 at the lowest. Hardly a cataclysm.

Meanwhile the Daily Mail has a picture of a bloke struggling with a brolly. So things must be getting bad.

gwaelod
    Free Member

the wave heights given by the wave models are for open deep water waves. When those sorts of waves come close inshore/across shallow sea bed they start shoaling and breaking and collapsing so they won’t be at that height when they come onto the rocks/breakwaters

Having said that..they will still be massive – and it’s going to be **** spectacular up around North/west scotland and along the NI coast

bearnecessities

Slept about an hour through this lot.

The obligatory ‘garden chair blown over’ scene outside, but sadly the garage is intact.

M62 should be fun.

wrightyson
    Free Member

I “lost” the tarp of my log pile (2xwood stores already full) last night, out in me shorts and flip flops sorting it. Carnage I tell you, I only just made it 😀

jam-bo
    jam-bo

Got a bit hairy on the inside at Nazare yesterday….

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Black err, Wednesday?’ is closed to new replies.