Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Bl00dy good value down sleeping bag – £37!!!!!!!!!!
  • squin
    Free Member

Hi All,

Putting this in 'Bike Chat' as it's regarding two-wheel bivying!

Has anyone got one of these Tesco sleeping bags? I was going to get a Snugpak Softie 3 but saw these in my local store – synthetic for £14 with an extreme rating of 1.7 degrees, or a down version rated extreme at -9 for £37. I would probably prefer the synthetic as I can bung it in the wash, but £37 for down is amazing value.

Synthetic sleeping bag – click here

Down Bag

Any experiences of either?

Thanks,

Stu.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

You can wash down, it just takes days to dry out again.

willard

Was quite tempted by one when I saw them in my local "Extra" the other week. If only they made them in slightly less garish colours, I would have jumped at the offer!

As it is, I got given an issue jungle sack for summer use, and i have the standard "green bomb" for winter use. Although I plan to change that for a Softie 9 as soon as possible.

midlifecrashes

I have the down one, it's fine for what it is. Only been used maybe twenty nights spring to autumn, and I've never let it get wet. Never been too cold in it, but on chilly nights I've put on an extra layer and a buff. Only other down bag I've used is the heavy army issue one. It will pack down to mini football size if you try hard enough and the stitching on the supplied compression sack is good enough for this. I'm 6'2" and 94kg and I fit in it, but wouldn't want it any smaller.

spooky_b329

We have a couple of the snugpack softies…unless we really are trying to save space or on the bikes we still take our cheapo argos double sleeping bag.

The reason…I tend to sweat in it for some reason and it clings to you…we bought cotton liners but they don't really seem to help, just another thing to get tangled in. I think the answer is to wear pj's or something in it, but its not really cold enough to justify when we use them.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Bought the tesco down one for my son last year, it's shit, very thin and not very warm in in summer camping weather. Avoid.

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Aye, I'd not believe the temp rating … any down bag with an extreme rating of -9 is going to cost you more than £37!

Remember the extreme rating and comfort rating are 2 very different things … extreme means it might just keep you alive (or not).

ntreid
    Free Member

I've got one. It's good value, which really means it's not that great but it's cheap.

I've found it pretty comfy in the summer, although it's not particularly large (I'm 6'3" and it's very nearly too short).

As for temperature rating, I think the 'comfort rating' of the bag is around 7deg, so might be uncomfortable in Spring or Autumn if you get caught on a cold night.

I've also got a Snugpak Softie, which is roomier, better quality construction, but not as breathable. And gram for gram, the Tesco one is loads warmer (as you'd expect in down v synthetic).

If I was buying again, I'd probably go for another synthetic Snugpak.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

No, its not good value, its just cheap. I don't believe its ratings for a second.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

I'm getting old – rather than buying the thinnest, lightest sleeping bag yesterday, I "felt" the linings of several and went for the "cosiest" looking one – A Vango Nitestar 350. It's bulky, it's heavy but it SO damn comfortable!!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Bl00dy good value down sleeping bag – £37!!!!!!!!!!’ is closed to new replies.