Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Biting the bullet.
  • Inbred456
    Free Member

I have come to realise that I finally need a proper workstand. I can’t build another bike proped up against the kitchen table again. What do you guys recommend. I don’t want to go mad, Just setting up brakes and gears and a bit of cleaning and lubing. The odd build now and then.

Inbred456
    Free Member

Looks similar to the Revolution one just a bit cheaper.

geoffj

Indeed

TheSwede
    Free Member

I have one of those. Good stand for the money. very adjustable.

druidh
    Free Member

I have one of these and it’s pants. well, it’s fine if you want to hold the bike by the top tube, but holding it by the seatpost means the whole thing is out of balance. I’ll be flogging mine and getting something with a more stable base.

geoffj

**googles ti work stands for Druidh**

TheSwede
    Free Member

druidh, the clamp rotates on mine via the lever at the back. You can hold the bike by any tube, top, down, seat post etc.

druidh
    Free Member

TheSwede – yes, I know. The problem is that holding it by the seatpost means that a significant proportion of the weight of the bike extends beyond the base. This makes the stand unstable.

TheSwede
    Free Member

Utter bollox. A bike is nose heavy and with the clamp lose, the weight is naturally pulled down to the centre. Do you mean you have been trying to clamp the bike by the seat post but still have the top tube horizontal 😆 😆 😆
    Not mine but here is how it works. A bit complicated I Know 🙄

billyboulders
    Free Member

TheSwede
    +1

Also take the front wheel out if you’re still having stability problems, makes a significant difference.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I’ve got one of these. Does what it’s supposed to,
    http://www.uktools.com/sealey-cycle-stand-p-3661.html

Inbred456
    Free Member

Ordered one of the Merlin ones 59.99 with free postage, can’t be vexed at that price. Cheers for the input Chaps!

Barney_McGrew
    Free Member

Wouldn’t have one of the cheaper options again. Tried a coupleof them and never really did get on with them.
    After that I went for a Park Tool stand and can honestly say that spending the extra is very well worth it!

druidh
    Free Member

billyboulders – Member
    Also take the front wheel out if you’re still having stability problems, makes a significant difference.

Ah – so it’s unstable with a fully built bike in place?

I rest my case.

matthew_h
    Free Member

I’m with Druid on this, my one really can get unstable when dealing with a big bike fully built up. They’re ok for the money but there are far better stands out there

billyboulders
    Free Member

Sorry druidh – I should have been a bit clearer, I don’t have that particular stand so can’t comment on it’s stability. Mines like the one esselgruntfuttock linked to -tho I got it from Rosebikes in their sale – £45 delivered 🙂

Mines perfectly stable hung from the seat-tube front wheel in or out (and my forks are coil pikes so pretty hefty!) I was just making a suggestion ‘cos you said you were having problems – how many jobs require you to have the front wheel on the bike anyway? 🙄

takisawa2

Got mine half price from Wiggle. Wouldnt be without one now.

sv

Park PCS9 works very nicely for me.

stug45
    Free Member

My elite one doesn’t like heavy bikes! I’m talking 13 kilo upwards. Although its being okay with my 14 kilo bike.

Snapped 3 parts of it but have now got it dialled where I can’t rotate it and I can only snap the clamp one more time before I have to replace the bolt!

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

Can’t see the problem druid is having to be honest – let the nose drop down and it’s solid as you like – had mine three years and it’s excellent.

Can’t think of too many situations when you need a horizontal top tube…bleeding brakes maybe, or, at a push, not having to bend down too far to adjust the front caliper? All the mechanichy stuff is at the back anyway save the headset and the front brake….

rOcKeTdOg

druidh – Member

billyboulders – Member
    Ah – so it’s unstable with a fully built bike in place?

I rest my case.

is your case at an angle and a bit unsteady?

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Biting the bullet.’ is closed to new replies.