Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Bit random, but not sure what to do: Rabbits attacked in garden.
  • EarlofBarnet
    Free Member

Bit random this I know, but just wanted some opinions. Last night went out to take our two rabbits out of their run and put them in their hutch for the night. Went in to the garden to find one rabbit dead in the middle of the lawn and their hutch nearly destroyed. Eventually found the second rabbit hiding under the kids play area. The dead rabbit was complete, so something hadn’t tried to eat it, but had killed it. The hutch has one side smashed out of it and the metal bars on the front bent out of shape. We have a wall that is approx 1m high right around the garden. The same day a neighbour had posted on Facebook that their dog had escaped, and had been found an hour or so later. I don’t think a cat or fox would have done the damage to the hutch and presume both would have tried to eat the rabbit. So have have assumed that it could have been down to neighbours dog. Think it’s a bulldog, pretty big dog.

Not sure what to do next. Kids are pretty shook up and I’m fairly gutted. Haven’t confronted neighbour as I can’t prove it was his dog. Not sure whether to report incident to RSPCA? Now have other rabbit inside but would like to have it outside again. Any words of advise?

bigjim

send the crying kids round to the neighbours to lay on the guilt, phone the rspca/cops.

nukeproofriding
    Free Member

Thats horrible 🙁 Could a big dog theoretically break the hutch? I hear metal bars and I just can’t imagine even a large dog being able to break them. I have to say as well if it was a bulldog, I don’t think there would be much rabbit left?

TatWink
    Free Member

If the rabbit was in tact then probably a fox, they do this for sport.

Would imagine a big dog wouldn’t leave much.

EarlofBarnet
    Free Member

Wasn’t sure if Police would be interested, worth ringing them? Think I’ll call RSPCA though. Was a pretty nasty scene to be greeted with.

Hutch has taken a good hammering. Will try and get a picture web I get in from work.

bigjim

I’d say police might be interested if you do think it is the dog, as it might have been your kids playing in the garden instead of rabbits. Awaiting the dogs-can’t-possibly-do-anything-wrong posts…

jota180
    Free Member

I’ve seen foxes do similar, they don’y normally leave anything living though

brakes
    Free Member

baby robin?

TatWink
    Free Member

The foxes around our way have recently been killing cats.

It’s getting pretty bad TBH.

EarlofBarnet
    Free Member

I wasn’t too sure if we would have foxes in the area, but there is a small wooded area behind the opposite houses. I guess the damage to the hutch also made me think it was something bigger with more power. I have pretty limited knowledge though! Might speak to RSPCA and see if they can advise. Would foxes come out during the day? This happened between 9am and 8pm. Dog was ‘missing’ between 1pm and 2pm.

andymc06
    Free Member

Step-Dad used to have geese on his land. Fox got into a fairly protected enclosure and took the heads off about five of them. Scarily precise and not a scrap eaten. They do it for fun. Could well have been a fox.

jota180
    Free Member

I wasn’t too sure if we would have foxes in the area

You almost certainly have

Would foxes come out during the day? This happened between 9am and 8pm

Any time really but just before dawn or dusk is favourite

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

There are lots of variables involved, but foxes don’t usually go for cats…there are easier meals to be had.

MSP

Fox attacks rabbit hutch and kills first rabbit, before it can get at the second one hero dog from next door bounds over a high fence and chases it away. You should be giving it a medal but instead you want to blame it.

It’s a dogs life!

Drac

Yup a fox could and probably would do that, yes they will come out during the day but usually keep away from people. They come out at dusk which fits well within that timescale.

You could call the Police but they probably won’t be interested in 1 dead rabbit in one persons garden and I really wouldn’t waste their time with it. Not even sure what you hope to achieve calling the RSPCA either.

jota180
    Free Member

.there are easier meals to be had.

Pizza

TatWink
    Free Member

There are lots of variables involved, but foxes don’t usually go for cats…there are easier meals to be had.

They don’t want a meal, they don’t eat the cats they just kill them.

As I said before they do this for sport.

yossarian
    Free Member

employ some badgers as security guards?

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

They don’t want a meal, they don’t eat the cats they just kill them.

As I said before they do this for sport.

Bullshit

Grimy
    Free Member

Foxs killing cats? Long live the foxes! 😛

TatWink
    Free Member

Bullshit

Why? That’s what foxes do. If you have a coup of chickens they will kill them all but eat only one. For sport and the sheer hell of it, foxes are nasty like that.

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

Wild animals that rely on their health in order to survive don’t go looking ‘for sport’ with other animals that are well able to do them some serious damage.

soobalias
    Free Member

my dog eats rabbits whole, just chews them up and swallows the whole bag of bones

TatWink
    Free Member

TBH a fox vs a cat is not much of a contest especially with the big old sweaty foxes.

mt
    Free Member

Badgers could be involved already.

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

TBH a fox vs a cat is not much of a contest especially with the big old sweaty foxes.

You’re confusing real life with some delusional fantasy world, crammed with big sweaty foxes. Still…whatever floats your boat.

You could always Google something like ‘do foxes kill cats’ to better inform yourself.

EarlofBarnet
    Free Member

Thanks for the comments. Appreciate it is a bit random. Like the suggestion of badger security or that baby Robins could be to blame.

Will just have to put this one down to experience and see if I can get a better hutch for remaining rabbit.

Thanks again.

TatWink
    Free Member

You’re confusing real life with some delusional fantasy world

No you are right. My neighbours definitely didn’t have their cats killed by foxes, they just imagined it. I’d better tell them they’re delusional as well.

wrecker
    Free Member

Foxs killing cats? Long live the foxes!

+1.

Coyote
    Free Member

Why? That’s what foxes do. If you have a coup of chickens they will kill them all but eat only one. For sport and the sheer hell of it, foxes are nasty like that.

Sorry dude, you are wrong. Foxes don’t kill for sport. If a fox gets into a chicken coup there will be panic, fox goes into frenzy and kills anything that moves. Will take what it can eat and will usually come back for another when hungry. Fox killing cats for sport? No, they don’t do sport. More than likely a territorial thing going on. Fox will see cat as a rival predator and therefore competitor for food. Re the OP, I’d be surprised if the fox didn’t take the rabbit as food unless it was disturbed.

DaRC_L

We had a similar event when I was a lad – neighbours dog got free, broke into our guinea pig hutch. I came home to bloody guineau pig corpses over the garden.

Neighbours to be fair were apologetic and bought a replacement.

The dog must have felt guilty (or was somewhat stupid – it was a Lab) and ran off beachy head a few weeks later.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Argument over a carrot escalated into fistycuffs.. fight to the death over who gets the stalk. Hutch got smashed up in the brawl. Obvious really.

TatWink
    Free Member

More than likely a territorial thing going on. Fox will see cat as a rival predator

Good point. They have started shiteing on top of our dogs shite recently.

MMmmmmmmmmm……

geoffj

Nearly on page 2 and no-ones suggested Bunny Burgers with chips

This place is going to the dogs foxes

LS
    Free Member

Wild animals that rely on their health in order to survive don’t go looking ‘for sport’ with other animals that are well able to do them some serious damage.

I suspect that this covers it pretty well. No experience of urban foxes but out here in the sticks where they’re small (fewer scavenging opportunities) and outdoor cats tend to be young and agile, they steer well clear of each other. I’ve seen encounters between the two from a distance twice, once involving my cat and the other with a farm rat-murderer from down the road. Both times the fox just legged it.

Northwind

Foxes kill more than they need right now, because they can return and eat the carcasses later, they’re not choosy about freshness. They’re opportunist killers so don’t leave things alive to kill later.

OP- how strong were these bars? Foxes are surprisingly powerful when it comes to dismantling hutches etc but there’s a limit.

hora
    Free Member

Break into his house with a Velacoraptor

godzilla
    Free Member

Fox and cats dont usualy scrap, The Fox will usualy back off, if local cats are being killed then its more likely to be a stray Lurcher or Greyhound.

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

Tat Wink – Member
    My neighbours definitely didn’t have their cats killed by foxes, they just imagined it. I’d better tell them they’re delusional as well.

Good lord….don’t say that, it’ll only upset them if they’ve recently lost their cats.

As a cat owner*, what I don’t understand is that when your neighbours witnessed their cats (plural) being attacked by foxes (plural), why didn’t they intervene to scare the foxes off? It wouldn’t have been over quickly and must have caused quite a kerfuffle…plenty of time to rush out, shouting, hands waving, to save the poor little mites.

*alright, cat butler / skivvy…

jambalaya
    Free Member

I wasn’t too sure if we would have foxes in the area, but there is a small wooded area behind the opposite houses.

You definitely have foxes in the area, these days they live in the towns where it’s far easier to find food.

There have already been a few attacks on babies, it won’t be long before one is killed by an urban fox

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Bit random, but not sure what to do: Rabbits attacked in garden.’ is closed to new replies.