Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 280 total)
  • Birmingham "Street"/"Urban" ride
  • swingbing
    Free Member

It’s just having a laugh riding steps and whatever we can find that looks interesting in Brum.

Who’s up for it then? Any suggestions on fun bits to ride?

I know a good multistorey for rein-acting the carpark racing vid that was on pink-radar recently!

Alex

I *really* want to ride through the mailbox (from the canal end), down the escalators and then out the front down the steps towards new street. I’ve walked through there every day for the last three months thinking I SO WISH I HAD MY BIKE.

Security’d probably take a dim view but it would be awesome 🙂

Alex

Plus the steps here: http://goo.gl/maps/GIB7V look pretty awesome. As long as you don’t ride into the fountain!

I_Ache
    Free Member

Alex there are drops aplenty there too. I have seen people ride the whole wall around the fountain.

And straight through the mailbox sounds a great, if slightly illegal idea. Not sure about going down the escalators as they are a bit narrow and the steps are pretty big, but I’m sure a bit of peer pressure will convince me.

there are some slopes and possibly a couple of wall rides by in the roundabout underpass by the old fire station.

Anybody have any idea when to go? How about a Saturday evening? Or would a week day evening be better as there might be less police and less clubbers?

MrTall
    Free Member

There are often a few trials riders around those steps and they do look like fun.

swingbing
    Free Member

Often thought about the mailbox too. I group of guys on mtb’s is bound to attract some attention though.

Weekday evening gets my vote. Wednesday any good?

I_Ache
    Free Member

I would prefer a Tuesday or Thursday personally but I will go with whatever.

swingbing
    Free Member

Tuesdays no good for me but thursday would be fine.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Anybody else up for a Thursday night?

shindiggy
    Free Member

Anyday/evening is good for me, lots of stairs and drops around the townhouse/library.

Alex

Tues is ride night here so Thurs for me. I know what you mean about the narrowness and steppiness of the escalators. It could go very badly wrong. Over 3 months I have convinced myself it’s rideable. Lots of CCTV in there as well, so it’s a bit high risk. Still want to do it tho.

All the way round the fountain? On that wall? Crikey.

Houns

I’ve ridden the steps around the fountain (don’t forget that’ll be off limits soon with the Christmas market)

Ooh idea! Lets sort the ride around time of the market for beers after/during??

Mailbox would be fun (i have ridden through the merry hell centre) however I ain’t riding no escalators!

Houns

Through the Bullring and down the steps at the back would be good too

PiknMix
    Free Member

Brum is ace to ride! Would join you if I could but 2 problems, I’m not in brum and my bike is fubar!

I_Ache
    Free Member

Amid I will do you a deal, if you ride the escalators I will follow.

Houns, when does the market start? And good idea about beers. The steps might be ok because there arnt any stalls around them.

If we don’t go when the market is on we could always have a beer somewhere with outside seating like Bank at brindley place.

Houns

15th this month it starts

rOcKeTdOg

I’ve ridden the mailbox steps, make sure u go before 15/11 as the xmas market starts then and victoria sq will be rammed. Old library steps are good fun too

swingbing
    Free Member

The steps on victoria square are pretty tame really as they’re quite shallow. There’s a fun stairwell around the other side of the town hall that takes you down into a dingy underground shopping arcade. Other little bits and pieces around there too 🙂

I_Ache
    Free Member

So who can make it on the 8th or should we leave it until the 15th? If its a success we could always do it again before Christmas and have beers at the German market then?

swingbing
    Free Member

I’m up for the 8th and I’ll probably be up for something regularish

I_Ache
    Free Member

I’m also happy to go out on the 8th for a test/sighting ride and it would be good to do it regularly. I live 5 mins ride from a train station so its easy enough for me. I would rather not drive in.

lunge

Thursday’s are good for me as well. I think the 8th or 15th us good, would prefer the latter though.

Alex

Aye at the moment I can do the 8th. Prob drive in as not many trains back Hereford way after 9pm!

I_Ache
    Free Member

Yea I’m quite lucky that I’m near the cross city line that runs till after 11.

shindiggy
    Free Member

8th is fine with me, what time we looking at? I cycle to work (work by Snowhill) so will already have bike in tow.

Karl33to
    Free Member

imagine if somebody got on the escalator while you were riding down it 🙂

I’m up for this depending on times etc, been thinking about doing something similar for a while

I_Ache
    Free Member

Unfortunately I can’t physically get into brum until 7:30 if the meeting is earlier than that I could join you guys at an arranged point.

lunge

I’m the same as I_Ache, 7.30 onwards is good for me.

lunge

Out if interest, what bikes are people taking? I’m thinking silly little hardtail with the saddle down and dual-ply tyres.

I_Ache
    Free Member

I will be using my FS due to still being in recovery from an op on a broken leg. Plus the suspension is better so will cope with stairs a lot better.

A little hardtail with big tyres is probably the best thing to take.

I am thinking about putting my super tacky swampthings on it as the compound might help if its a bit damp.

composite
    Free Member

Possible places to ride:
    The old fire station round about near Aston Uni.
    Once the new park in front of millennium point opens there maybe a few drop offs worth a look.
    Got to be some bits round Digbeth plus the streets would be very quiet.
    All those steps and slopes round the mail box and the buildings along that stretch.
    I was looking at the pedestrian bridge that goes over the dual carriageway there with it’s spiral slope all the way up to the top.
    There is some bits on the canal round gas street that would be tight and technical, as something different to steps.
    Few sets of steps around the end of colmore row, opposite end to the square.

Not sure if I can make the 8th, but where are you meeting anyway?

I_Ache
    Free Member

Good question how about Victoria Square at the top of the fountain. That way we can start of with a gentle roll down the stairs there.

Anybody else have a suggestion?

Alex

I was going to say Victoria Square entrance to new street if lots are coming on train. But fountain is fine. Wil be bringing my little DMR Trailstar with the special tyres I like to call ‘whatever is on the rim’ 😉 Might be bringing my mate on his 5 so be prepared for the silent night to be broken by the crashing of a filing cabinet being chucked down a metal fire escape 😉

I_Ache
    Free Member

I think my screams of terror whilst descending the Mailbox escalators and noticing the illuminated trees will drown out the noise of wheeled filing cabinets.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Just found out I can’t do the 8th but the 15th is fine. I will leave it for everybody else to decide if they want to do out on the 8th or 15th for the first time.

composite
    Free Member

I was going to say Victoria Square entrance to new street if lots are coming on train. But fountain is fine. Wil be bringing my little DMR Trailstar with the special tyres I like to call ‘whatever is on the rim’ Might be bringing my mate on his 5 so be prepared for the silent night to be broken by the crashing of a filing cabinet being chucked down a metal fire escape

If I make it I’ll be on my 5 as well. I don’t fancy that many steps on the rigid. 😛

I can commit to the 15th for definite, the 8th is about 50% on for me but I won’t really know until Wednesday or even Thursday morning. I would be up for both nights though.

passtherizla
    Free Member

I’ll come, free this Thursday cos the ideal ramp is closed for renovations…

I_Ache
    Free Member

I was going to txt you about this rizla.

Whats everybody thinking the 8th or the 15th or both?

As above I can’t do the 8th as Mrs Ache has a committee meeting. 🙁

swingbing
    Free Member

I’m up for both, but we could leave it until the 15th and have the option of post ride xmas market beer. Happy either way.

portlyone

I walked through the Mailbox the other day thinking how interesting it would be to ride. Made the meeting go faster as I day-dreamed about it!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 280 total)

The topic ‘Birmingham "Street"/"Urban" ride’ is closed to new replies.