Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Birds nesting within sight of your window?
  • plumber
    Free Member

for the 20th year running to my knowledge. Kestrel male and female have started their nesting ritual in the factory wall 100m opposite my bedroom window.

lots of toing and froing with food just now – look forward to multiple kestral chicks early flying lessons on the massive mill roof in a month or so

Natures ace innit

BigJohn

Not quite as glamorous but we always chuck a few sultanas out of the back door in the morning from Feb onwards. It encourages the blackbirds who become regulars and very tame.

It seems that the female we’ve had for the last 3 years is no more, but another one has decided to make us her home.

Macgyver

Used to have a blackbird make her nest in our yard in the bay tree. So close to the path you could see her, then her chicks in the nest every day when going out the back gate. Didn’t seem bothered by us or the dog. Cool to watch the little blighters grow. You could tell when the local moggies were around by the high pitched pip pip pip warning calls.

z1ppy

unfortunately 1 of our 3 furry feline psychopaths, regularly kills all the likkle birdies I can see…

racefaceec90

no,but i have a nesting pair of birds in my loft (spring/summer) for past 5 + years.don’t know what they are,but can hear the little chicks chirping away 😀 (especially if i put some slayer on! 😀

crazy-legs

We used to have blackbirds nesting in the pyracantha right outside the kitchen window. Could see right into the nest through a little hole in the thorns, we sued to watch them sitting on the nest or feeding the young. And then there’d be a week in summer when baby blackbirds would be hopping round the garden trying to fly.

redthunder
    Free Member

Fingers crossed our Water Rails will mate 🙂

Spotted with nesting material 🙂

and the usual Robin, Blackbirds etc.

andytherocketeer

Swifts – in a small void between concrete bit of building and 1 rafter. Blimmin’ noisy creatures though. Still a bit early for them.

Blackbird seems to like the balcony railings too, for one of its territorial chirping spots (along with TV antenna on the building next door).

Black redstart – I think. Not sure where it’s nesting exactly but it must be within view of kitchen window. Certainly the place where they stand and chirp is within view.

Skyrats – fortunately they’ve moved on.

CountZero

I was given a nest box for Christmas, which I’ve hung on a silver birch at the bottom of the garden, along with a feeder, and there seems to be some interest in it, but the birds are gone too quick to see what they are. Possibly Blue Tits, but there’s Chaffinches around there as well. Really hope something makes use of it.

corroded
    Free Member

My sister has lapwings nesting in the field opposite her cottage. They seem to be perpetually at Defcon 3, up to 1 if buzzards are in the air.

redthunder
    Free Member

Max has taken a liking to cake today 🙂

I’ve created a blog in association with Severnside Birds at Severn Beach.

Water Rail [Rallus aquaticus]

and main site here…
    http://www.severnsidebirds.co.uk/

scaredypants

we have pigeons nesting outside the kitchen window

sabotage plans are hatching

do you see what I did th – nah, sod it, never mind

carlosg
    Free Member

About 30 sparrows and 2 pairs of long tailed tits.

Dudie
    Free Member

Not quite as glamorous but we always chuck a few sultanas out of the back door in the morning from Feb onwards. It encourages the blackbirds who become regulars and very tame.

Same here:

He’s back for the second year in a row and has us wrapped around his little finger…erm claw. His missus is becoming tamer too. Nest building currently going on in a laurel bush 3m from the house. The same pair (presumably) have nested in our garden for at least four years, including in ivy within a foot of our back door. Same spot’s also been home to a wren and a robin (twice). Think we have jackdaws nesting in the chimbley too. Oi loves birds I does.

Bunnyhop

Oooh I love this time of year when all the birds start building their nests.

We have a pair of black caps, so I’m so hoping they’ve started to build a nest in our hedge.

BigJohn

With us it’s always the female who’s most adventurous. They are very territorial, coming back to the same spot every year, but 4 years is about the longest they live.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Birds nesting within sight of your window?’ is closed to new replies.