Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Birch Ply kitchen island project. Any woodists here with suggestions?
  • beagle
    Free Member

New kitchen time. We will end up with an L shape kitchen with a separate island. The L will house hob and sink and work tops are potentially corian/maia or similar, price dependant. Island will have no utilities, so material is less of an issue. I’ve always been a fan of Artek stuff and really like the idea of a birch ply laminate island (dimensions 2500mm x900mm x 32mm ish with matching side panels), with Formica or laminated top sheet in a suitable colour. I’ve always known of these people, both of which who should supply product ready to go – with the Formica glued etc.

http://www.untothislast.co.uk

http://www.mattantrobus.co.uk/about.html

Now, before getting quotes – I’m sure there has to be an option to buy the ply and laminate (abet?) separate and do it yourself? Any thoughts? Any woodists work with ply on here?

Any thoughts/suggestions much appreciated.

kayak23

That’s a pretty big area to do yourself unless you’ve got a decent area to work I’d say.

My experience with Formica on rolls is that it’s very brittle and damaged easily.

You would contact adhesive the lot and work it down, trimming edges with a router and bearing-guided cutter.

The ply could be two sheets screwed together from underneath, or otherwise perhaps one solid sheet and a framework of supports underneath mimicking a double thickness.

That’s bigger than an 8×4′ sheet though so you start getting into 10×5′ sheets.

If you have the cash, I’d be tempted to say let the pros do it, but having said that I’m sure it’s something you could do.

nickjb
    Free Member

I’d tweak the dims to make it a little easier. 2440x900x36 can be made from two sheets of 8×4 18mm or 2440x900x25 for a single sheet of 25mm. The thickness is nice for a visible edge. I often use 2 sheets of 18mm or 25mm to give a nice chunky edge. It does need quite a lot of finishing but that isn’t that big a job.

Birch ply cuts nicely so can be DIYed you’ll need a rail saw or a saw guide to get good lines. A saw guide can be made from stock MDF using the factory edge as the straight edge. If you get a sheet from B&Q they’ll cut it on their big saw for you. I wouldn’t trust them for precise cuts but they are fine for making a saw guide.

Laminating isn’t too bad. You’ll need a router to trim it but you’ll need a router anyway, in fact probably two.

beagle
    Free Member

Thanks Both. Much appreciated. I doubt my skills a little and the cost difference isn’t crazy when you weigh up the raw materials etc. Cheers for the input. Hmmmm.

Anyone lurking who knows a different supplier than those two – just shout!!

kayak23

James Latham does Formica plywood. We buy our birch ply from them at work.

beagle
    Free Member

Kayak – thanks for that. I’ll call in the morning.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Not used Formica but looked into it for a project and one thing that was noted was to place some on both sides of the piece of ply to even out stress and reduce any warpage. Obviously the unseen part can be the cheapest colour. Also I wonder if a vacuum press might be ideal.

GrunkaLunka
    Free Member

Hi, went through this last year for an L-shaped worktop with exposed edge. In the end we used Richardrussel.co.uk to supply pre-cut tops (to my dimensions) and then had our builder fit them. I’d hesitate to recommend them, they screwed up the delivery by losing my order and trying to deliver a shelf in its place and renaged on a verbal offer to compensate for the inconvenience, that said the finished quality when it finally arrived a week late was spot on. By the end of it we weren’t much cheaper than Matt Antrobus’ quote. If we hadn’t been running so tight on our budget then I’d have definately paid for the peace-of-mind of having someone else measure up. Two tips if you go ahead which you probably already know- seal all cuts, even those that are hidden, with something like yacht varnish (matt for the exposed edges!) and get a tube of this to seal any joints “seamlessly” Colourfill

GrunkaLunka
    Free Member

P.s. second what TheBrick says, it must be laminated on both sides or the ply will warp over time. Oh, and a solid lump of ply weighs a suprising amount…. it looks ace though!

jonnyrockymountain

Thebrick where abouts are you based, driving distance of Halifax?

russ295
    Free Member

The ply from bq etc will have hollows in it. You would have to fill it and sand.
    The under side/edges would need sealed, I doubt you’d need to Formica both sides? Good quality laminate tops only have a backing paper fitted.
    You can buy ply effect PVC edging that glues straight onto laminate tops, buy a breakfast bar trim the edges off and fit trim. Give you the look with out the hassle!

beagle
    Free Member

JonnyRM,

Was your post meant for me (the OP)? Or the brick?

Thanks for the posts all. Most useful!

jools182
    Free Member

I’m about to make a cabinet for an alcove. I am using birch ply for the main body of it, and then will be facing it in some other timber

All I know about it so far is it’s heavy!

Mine is some offcuts that I managed to scrounge

I’d think a proper timber merchants would be a better bet than the company you listed on Brick Lane, you’ll be overcharged by someone with a beard and no socks

beagle
    Free Member

And their sisters jeans! Hahaha, good point.

jonnyrockymountain

Sorry beagle yes!

ourmaninthenorth

Have a look at the Garage Journal (bear with me) and search Midcentury Modern – there’s a guy who renovated a beautiful Oregon home, and handmade a fantastic plywood kitchen. Worth a look.

And like your style!

beagle
    Free Member

Jonny – well yes then, I’m in the North West!

Why Halifax?

ourmaninthenorth – mid century modern is what it’s all about. Will try and find that later with a brew. Oregon too, sounds great. Currently cleaning out my own garage! 🙁

willyboy
    Free Member

We buy our timber from Arnold Laver. I think they also do laminates/ formica too.
    The birch faced ply is quite good quality (and heavy in 15/18mm guises).

ourmaninthenorth

@ beagle – have found it – click here.

You’ll need a while, but enjoy..!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Birch Ply kitchen island project. Any woodists here with suggestions?’ is closed to new replies.