Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Bimbo 'how-to' guide needed please …
  • cinnamon_girl

To measure a steerer.

Thank you so much 🙂

fauxbyfour
    Free Member

? A tape measure?

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Center to center, but it depends on the rise 😉

stevomcd
    Free Member

1. Take the top cap off
    2. Remove any spacers so that you can see the top of your existing steerer. You might have to remove the stem as well if there's no spacers above the stem.
    3. Measure from the top of the fork crown to the top of the steerer (probably easiest to do this up the side of the headtube).

Don't measure from the top of anything sticky-outy above the level of the fork crown, you want to measure from the top of the crown itself – that's the big, chunky bit of the fork that connects the two legs together just below the bike frame. (Sorry, you did ask for a bimbo's guide!).

oldfart

i presume you mean on forks ?easy off the bike not so accurate off the bike .oh and hope things are good with you !

Moses

Do you mean, how to decide how long a steerer needs to be?
    Measure the head tube, headset height and stem stack height. Add quite a bit for luck and spacers.

But don't blame me if it goes wrong.

mamadirt
    Free Member

Take no notice of 'em 😉 .

If you're measuring your current steerer length then just measure from the seat where the crown race (bottom of the headset) sits to the very top. If you're calculating steerer length required for a new set up then add together the length of your headtube, headset stack height (total measurement of all external visible parts, with the exception of the top cap), stem stack height plus any spacers required, then subtract 5mm from the total (this will allow for preload of the bearings when the top cap is fitted). Hope that makes more sense . . . oh, and measure twice, cut once 😉

halfbee
    Free Member

Only measure crown to top of steerer

cinnamon_girl

Thank you all for such speedy replies 🙂

I will be selling some forks so I guess it's really important that I get the steerer length figure correct? Bike hasn't been split yet though.

cinnamon_girl

halfbee – excellent, thank you! It's the crown bit I was concerned about, ie where actually does the measurement finish.

STW to the rescue again 8)

halfbee
    Free Member

nay bother 🙂

BluePalomino
    Free Member

I will be selling some forks

whatya selling?

cinnamon_girl

Fox Forx 100RL's.

cinnamon_girl

Was so happy with them that I managed to get some for the singlespeed too:

RichPenny
    Free Member

I used a couple of CD cases last time, with the forks in the frame too! The only ruler in the house was an 8cm thing on a swiss army knife. I have now bought a ruler 😳 And a 4lb lump hammer, which I got the forks out with 8) I don't reccommend anyone buying anything secondhand from me!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Bimbo 'how-to' guide needed please …’ is closed to new replies.