Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • biking in Queen Elizabeth Park
  • scottyjohn
    Free Member

Hi all,
    Fitness is not great after a really bad chest infection and looking to have an easy day out north of glasgow on the bike. Was going to drive up and cycle round Loch Katrine but was wondering what other stuff is around the QE forest area?

AlasdairMc

There are trails in the forest at Go Ape, and some very nice ones at that. Unsure what they'd be like at the moment, probably pretty muddy

jrb

If you are after landrover tracks then you could go round the forest just south of loch ard/west of Aberfoyle, park either at the forest car park south of milton or in Aberfoyle. Or circular route over mentieth hills from Aberfoyle to loch venacher and back through Achray forest, either the footpath/bike route or landrover tracks past pot of glenny. Otherwise cycle route 7 from Aberfoyle to strathyre and north via callander. Its not raining just now lots of black clouds but will be muddy

druidh
    Free Member

There are various trails marked on the South side of Loch Ard, heading West from Milton, outside Aberfoyle. I've walked over a couple of them, but not biked them.

druidh
    Free Member

Ah – crossed posts. Someone with a bit better advice too 🙂

Dougal
    Free Member

Evans are running a ride on the 27th of this month around that area, £10. Probably a good way to get a taste of the local trails. http://www.evanscycles.com/ride-it/qe-forest-park-stirling-27th-28th-february-2010

Stuff at Go-Ape is crazy good, map of sxc course here: http://www.squadraporcini.com/3.html

scottyjohn
    Free Member

Ah cheers guys, think Ill head to the car park for Loch Katrine or maybe stop at the David Marshall place. Does anyone know if there is a good coffee place after the biking? In the David Marshall place or is there anything at the loch Katrine car park?

AlasdairMc

David Marshall lodge has a cafe, but you're far better getting a venison burger at the butcher in Aberfoyle – delicious!

scottyjohn
    Free Member

Went to go to Loch Katrine today and when I got to Aberfoyle, the road to Loch Katrine was closed at the entrance to David Marshall lodge. It was closed last week too which I thought was very weird. So I went into the DM lodge car park and followed some trails for a few hours and all was good. Came back down and went to go to the lodge for a coffee and the whole bloody place was shut! Loads of people walking up and shaking their heads, not even the go ape thing was open! So on the hill I had seen numerous cars driving past the closed sign, so I thought Id head to Loch Katrine for a coffee. Drove all the way there and everything was closed!! Again a car park full of people roaming around annoyed that nothing was open! Unbelievable such a bad impression of this country, noone in the service industries has a clue!

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

I did a route starting from Aberfoyle on Saturday and had one of the best days out on my bike yet. I headed east from Aberfoyle and did the single track heading NE alongside the Menteiths down to Loch Venacher. The ground was mostly frozen but it looks like this section would normally be very muddy in places at this time of year. Headed west alongside Loch Venacher then up to Loch Drunkie and back to the start via David Marshall Lodge. It's a pity you didn't get your coffee John. Winter opening times can be very unpredictable so I always take my own supplies to save disappointment.

MikeT-23
    Free Member

nowt to contribute, but my favourites won't allow any new additions so I'm just 'marking' this post for future reference.
    Thanks

stucol
    Free Member

Aparently there are 107 miles of cycleable paths and tracks around Aberfoyle.

Did the loop to the south of Loch Ard from Milton back in the autum with the wee one. A more perfect Autumn day you could not have asked for.

The Loch Katrine loop cn be done but bear in mind you need to go over the Dukes at some point. The road round Katrine is not a loop and you need to head back from Stronachlachar by road. You can of course divert onto the forest roads at several points. If your keen you can miss out the Dukes by returning to the car park at Katrine via Ledard and Ben Venue !

Another i fancy is from Kinlochard to Cailness on the banks of Loch Lomond. The descent to Cailness is mental fast i have been told. Then its up the WHW to Inversnaid and back by road to Kinlochleven. Or you can take the WHW south to Rowardennan then the Ben Lomond path up to and then across Moin Eich and back into the Loch Ard forest.

It has to be said that these routes are not an easy return to the bike by any means. Simply stunning scenery on all of them though.

grumm
    Free Member

There are a few little purpose built signed mountain bike trails in the woods up behind the David Marshall Lodge. I only did one of them but it was a really nice little techy singletrack descent. Saw a few others marked in there as well.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘biking in Queen Elizabeth Park’ is closed to new replies.