Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Biking holiday in Scotland
  • skiprat
    Free Member

So if you were looking for a weekend away in Scotland biking, what would you be looking for location wise?

Would you want to be able to ride pretty much straight out the door, or be in between areas with a prettier place to stay?

Basically, given the choice would you rather be near Dalbeatie/Mabie/Kirroughtree, Glentress/Inners or betweeen the two?

geoffj

Dalbeatie/Mabie/Kirroughtree,

But if you’ve never ridden Glentress or Inners

skiprat
    Free Member

Ridden them all bar Inners.

Looking at this from a place to maybe buy a rental house that could rent to bikers/walkers/out door type people.

Looking for feed back from you lot first.

geoffj

I travel all over Scotland for work and play, and I think Dumfies & Galloway is hugely underrated as a tourist destination. I’d prefer somewhere on that coast to somewhere in the Borders.

scotroutes

If I was going away to Scotland for a weekends biking I wouldn’t choose to ride some generic trail centres.

Depends also on what type of walkers you are after. The Munros generate the most headlines…..

skiprat
    Free Member

Cheers geoffj. The Mrs loves that area so its defo on the list.

coogan
    Free Member

I’d rather be nearer Innerleithen and Glentress out of the choice. Depends on what kind of riding you want to do.

Northwind

Inners/Glentress is already fairly well catered for but will be the highest demand by far. Probably less non-bikey outdoorsy. Some of the existing places like Glentrail have shut (I heard Chris Ball’s place is shut too, anyone know?)

I can’t think of any places down in D&G that promote themselves as really bikey- maybe I’m just oblivious though. The trails are much more spread out obviously and I don’t think any of the decent size towns have much of a draw so maybe harder to pick your location? But Dalbeattie and Mabie are pretty close together and reasonably central for KT, Ae and Drum. (we stayed at Kippford last time- I’d never thought of that before but it’s near perfect, ride to Dalbeattie, quick drive to Mabie, Kirroughtree no more or less of a pain in the arse to get to than it always is)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Biking holiday in Scotland’ is closed to new replies.