Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Bikes, n+1 is the ideal number, why….
  • ex-pat
    Free Member

Have what can only be described as a stable of bikes, but I want another one.
    I can almost (sort of) justify it by saying I want a single speed street bike for lunchtime bashes at work.
    Sort of like this (exactly like this in fact).
    Convince me that I can just amend a bike I already have with some new bits.
    But that, up there, 🙄 is a fine price at the moment.

That is all.

MrFarrellsSodasuite
    Free Member

You could buy it, or you could donate some of that money and save a life or two maybe in Pakistan. But realistically, very few of us would do that (myself included probably).

How about that for an answer?

Edit: I feel cruel for wielding the claymore of truth. It's nothing personal.

toby1

Well for me the formula fits as with a longer commute coming up I just bought a rack and pannier, then realised the commuter frame I have doesn't have a rack mount, so now I need another frame with rack mounts on to tranfer all the parts over to.

becky_kirk43
    Free Member

I hate to say it but if you amend a bike you already have, you'll be losing a bike – how will you replace that one? 😉
    And at that price…surely the saving justifies it? 😛

On a serious note…modify an existing bike. Spend the remaining money that you would have spent on upgrades for another bike, or in fact treat yourself (or your SO?) to something nice 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

nah you need another 😉

bravohotel9er
    Free Member

Long travel hardcore hardtail
    Lightweight medium travel hardtail
    Ultra lightweight XC whippet express short travel hardtail
    All mountain FS
    Lightweight XC whippet express medium travel FS
    DH suicide machine FS
    Ultra long travel freeride FS
    Jump bike
    Street bike
    BMX
    Retro cruiser
    Fixed gear hipster mobile
    Single speed rigid CAMRA infiltrator
    Pretty retro effort with a basket
    Road bike
    Pub bike
    Unicycle
    Tandem

ex-pat
    Free Member

lol. The other half said I should if it makes me happy. It's a classic bluff tactic that always works. Now I feel guilty so probably won't…
    Fair call about Pakistan, totally absent in the media over here in Aus, shocking really, some celebrity's son going off the rails is bigger news.

Anyway, am very tempted I can tell you. It'll save a bundle on trying to make the existing bike work like that one, which it never will thanks to incorrect dropouts and a frame that's too large.

Hmm, convinced myself, but I bet I don't – 'n' for me is five at the moment… too many.

ex-pat
    Free Member

@ bravohotel9er. Marvellous, I do feel better now.

lyons
    Free Member

Buy a bmx….

yunki
    Free Member

because.. despite what nonsense men like to try and pretend to themselves.. men LOVE shopping..
    It's not about getting out and getting hardcore.. It's about shopping..

Imagine if Gok Wan's insidious show was about bikes… hmmm.. see what I'm saying..?
    Men LOVE shopping.. the internet has freed that ability and MTB disguises it behind a macho exterior..

You'll see them bicker on here occasionally about the latest fashion in shoes or hats too… oh yes.. just cos the shoes ain't manilo blanik doesn't make it any less… err… about shopping..

ooh ooh.. look.. its the new 2011 shimano groupset.. oh I HAVE to have it.. isn't it darling!! Does it match my eyes..? Does it make my bum look big..? OH it's simply divine.. Bob at the office will be like SOOOO jealous!

Men LOVE shopping..

chakaping
    Free Member

Men LOVE shopping..

True, but if you call it "satisfying the hunter/gatherer instinct" instead then it sounds a bit more macho.

robdob
    Free Member

10" travel DH bike Fs
    Freeride 9" travel FS
    6/7" all mountain FS
    6" trail all day bike
    4/5" whippet light FS
    3" travel softtail
    7" freeride HT
    5" travel all day HT
    4" travel whippet light HT
    85mm travel weight weenies HT
    Rigid geared x country whippet machine
    Rigid singlespeed 26"
    Rigid singlespeed 29" (just to try out)
    Jump bike 26" singlespeed
    Jump/DS 26" geared
    Street bike 24"
    Race BMX
    Street BMX
    Flatland BMX
    Commuting road bike
    Cyclo cross bike
    Rohloff city bike
    Lightweight carbon road bike
    Old school UK steel sportif bike custom
    Round the world epic Thorn type 26" trekking bike
    Road tandem
    FS Tandem (custom as wife is very small)
    Touring tandem
    Trike
    Cafe bike, something SS and looks good but relaxing to ride and with propstand and mudguards. Customs sprayed maybe
    Commuting folder
    Lightweight road folder
    Electric bike (have you seen them things move uphill?)

I only have 2 of the above, so I've a long way to go.
    I think I'll need a bigger cellar.

sor
    Free Member

C'mon people, don't ignore recumbents. They're bikes too, y'know!

epicyclo

You should only ever buy one complete bike. Buying more than that is greedy, ungreen, and ostentatious.

However it is perfectly ok in the course of using it to do preventative maintenance and replace components with upgraded parts. This is a green thing to do.

Now to stay green and environmentally friendly you should not dump the old parts. Just retain them in the shed.

After a while you will have done sufficient upgrading to your original bicycle (usually after replacing the frame) to realise that you have enough parts to build another bike. This is called "recycling" and gives you great credentials as an environmental crusader.

Naturally you will wish to upgrade this "new" recycled bike because it closely resembles your original bike, and so the process starts again.

Only this time you have 2 bikes to upgrade. This requires serious dedication. Fortunately you now seem to be on first name terms with your local lbs, and if you bring biscuits, they'll even give you the odd discount.

Soon you will have 4 bikes, the lbs will have a shiny new van, then you will have 8 bikes, followed by 16, 32 etc. I believe there is a branch of mathematics devoted to the study of this phenomenon.

Unfortunately about this time you will need to find a new lbs because the original has retired to the Bahamas even though he was quite young.

Fortunately this will not be a problem, because Chain Reaction will be delivering your parts in a dedicated limousine.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Bikes, n+1 is the ideal number, why….’ is closed to new replies.