Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Bikepacking – The Peak 200
  • beefy

I am looking at doing this route Peak200 as it is rideable from my house (Holmfirth).

Has anyone done it and has anyone got any good tips for overnight spots? Would be carrying a one man tent which takes minutes to put up, or possible a tarp so looking for wild options.

Ta

whitestone
    Free Member

Ask on the Bearbones forums, Ianfitz is the route’s creator, not sure if he posts on here or not.

Overnight spots? Can you see any house lights from where you want to stop? If not then you are unlikely to be noticed. Move away from the bridleway/track and even someone travelling along it is not going to notice you. Pitch up late, get away early and no-one will know you’ve been there. Advertising “good” spots is only likely to draw attention to them and cause problems down the line, not that I know of any specific ones in the Peak.

Good luck – I’m looking at doing the group start later this year.

scaled
    Free Member

pffft didnt a couple of lads from this parish do that without all that bikepacking faff lately? 😀

beefy

Good point whitestones, the good spots would certainly not be advertised! Will use my usual approach, as in I am tired, this will do!

Will look on the bearbones forum.

Where are details of the group start?

nbt

Start early, finish late. Current “record”is just over 18 hours and they’re not fast lads, I took a KOM from one of them last week*, and the other doesn’t even have any KOMs so he must be a rubbish rider

*It annoyed him so he went out and took it back yesterday

mintimperial

Oooh. Not spotted that one before, looks like a pretty good route.

Beefy I think I rode with you a few years back out of Marsden? I’m in Holmfirth now, and I dunno if you’re interested in some company on a ride like that, but if you are I’d be up for having a crack at it if I could make the dates work. Drop us a mail to mintimperial at gmail dot com if you want to chat. 🙂

whitestone
    Free Member

Where are details of the group start?

Here you go – http://bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7527

As for speed (I suspect NBT is being sarcastic) it’s more about being able to keep going at a reasonable speed and not waste time stopping too much. If you are doing 12kph on average then stopping for just five minutes means you are a kilometre behind where you would have been if you hadn’t stopped. Such short stops can add up – on last weekend’s jennride my moving time was 14hrs but my overall time was 25hrs but I had intended to bivy which was 7hrs overall so food stops; where the f*** am I stops etc came to 4hrs.

nbt

I was joshing slightly but your estimate of 12kph is about right, Karl and Pete started at Charlesworth at 4am and kept up a more or less constant 8mph, mostly eating food they’d brought with just a couple of quick stops at Edensor and Bamford. As you suggest, it’s not about all-out speed, it’s about maintaining a constant speed over a very long period of time

beefy

Hi mintimperial, will drop you a line…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Bikepacking – The Peak 200’ is closed to new replies.