Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Bike weight_Atera Strada tow mounted carrier
  • MadDogLady
    Free Member

Hi

I am very interested in the Atera Strada bike carrier but the weight limit is 45kg for 3 bikes.

At present my hybrid is just over 16kg & my 7 year olds is 11kg. My husband is about to start looking for a bike & we have great plans & aspirations for the summer ahead. As my son gets bigger so will his bike.
    Has anyone found the Atera restricted re weight allowance?

wwaswas

my experience of these things is that you run out of ‘nose weight’ allowance (how much the tow bar on the car will support) before you reach the limit of the carrier (unless you have a landrover or something).

it’s a good excuse to buy a lighter bike 😉

MadDogLady
    Free Member

Thanks, sadly no landrover

wwaswas

although 45kg is 3 30lb bikes so you you should be ok.

Thule do some really good ones if you are worried.

igm

Got the Atera myself – I thought 45kg was the two bike (or 2+1). The three bike that also takes the adaptor for a 4th bike takes 60kg – but weights 14kg so as wwaswas says watch the car /bar’s nose weight (the new Mondeo is good for 90kg 🙂 )

Yep 60kg Look here

That said, the price has gone up again!

MadDogLady
    Free Member

The Atera site quotes 45kg max load, I think RoofBox are quoting with the carrier included, though Atera do say that with the additional support for a 4th bike it will take 63kg, not sure how that works.

Car nose weight is 85kg (Passat Estate) so we should be ok.

How do you find your Atera?
    I really need something simple to use for when I’m out ‘on my own’ with my 7 year old & 3 dogs charging about to distract me – I have an old hang on carrier that I hate using & have had a coupe of black eyes from so I guess its mutual.

igm

Yes – the extra carrier just drops on the tail end of it, so it must be good for 63kg anyway. That said two adult and a child shouldn’t add up to 45kg of bikes really – remember it’s 2.2lbs (not just 2lbs) to the kilo so that’s an average weight of 33lbs a bike.

In use it’s simplicity itself – though 14kg held at arms length as you attach it can feel a little heavy if you’re delicately built (I’m not, so no problems). I normally have a 2 going on 3 year old charging round me so I’ll see your 7 year old and dogs and raise you

The sliding mechanism gets a little gritty but I guess you have to expect that when it’s slung out the back of the car – doesn’t seem to affect its operation though (weekly to fortnightly since October).

Make sure you get the 13 pin European electrics on the car if you have the choice as you need that for a full set of lights – though you’re legal with the included adapter.

Overall? Simple, secure (wobble-wise), lockable (but don’t count on it being theft proof if the scrotes really want your bike), wish I’d got one years ago.

steveh

If you want a tow bar rack have a look at these…

http://www.aistoncycleracks.co.uk

I’ve had pendle, thule and these and they are the best in every way. The wheel support version i have is very easy to use (bikes held in place by a clamp done up with a spanner) adn I’ve had 4 full on dh bikes on mine without problem.

MadDogLady
    Free Member

Thanks everyone – that’s really helpful.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Bike weight_Atera Strada tow mounted carrier’ is closed to new replies.