• This topic has 18 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by DrP.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Bike trailer for the Kiddiewinks
  • FROGLEEK
    Free Member

On the market for a trailer for my hardtail to cart my 4 and 2 year olds about – Any reccomendations?
    I must say im a little nervous of on road trips towing the kids behind me so will probably stick to fireroads / parks etc but would stil like it to be sturdy

leffeboy

I use (or used to use) one from a company called 'Chariot'. Worked really nicely until the oldest was about 7 when it became a bit of a squish (and a bit unnecessary as well really)

Two things to care about if you have two in the trailer. If you are going over rough stuff they probably want to wear helmets so you want to make sure that there is a bit of space behind the seat for them to wear a helmet and still sit properly

The other thing is the seat belts need to be arranged so if there is only one in the trailer they can sit in the middle rather than to one side so it doesn't get too unstable

Get one now – they're great

FROGLEEK
    Free Member

Thanks leffe.
    I am sure they will love it
    Do you use yours on the road?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    leffeboy

Yep, I used to use it in the city all the time. I was initially a wee bit worried about traffic but my experience was exactly the opposite from what you would imagine. Because it was large I tended to be given more space whereas with a bike seat I got treated like a regular bike. Once you get used to it you can get through quite tight spaces as well.

Don't know what the experience would be like on country roads with faster traffic though. The other good thing about them is they are still great when it's pissing rain and if you drop the bike on ice only you get hurt

dh
    Free Member

Im interested in one of these things as well.

I did a quick google for the chariot brand and they seem to be around £500! Dont think the little beggar is worth that much. 😯

I see halfords so some for around £100 which is a bit more palatable, in a sale at the moment as well.

Ebay has some as well which look ok,be interested to know if anyone has bought one similar to that.

ebay

franksinatra

I've been using one of these on nearly a daily basis for a couple of years now. My girls are now nearly 5 and nearly 3 and fit in in fine.

The explorer is cheaper than chariots but has been sturdy enough during continued use and abuse. Has a massive pocket at the back and folds pretty small. I wouldn't want to use it on really rough stuff but find on firm off road tracks.

You want to make sure, whatever you buy, has:

20 inch wheels minimum
    foldable and wheels easily removed
    Big pockets
    Ability to add a third wheel and use as a buggy is handy.

They are great and much easier to tow than you would expect, but you will know about it on the uphills! I now tow this with a 1 year old in a bike seat as well, I reckon between the 3 kids, trailer and bike seat i am dragging about 50 kilo's!!!

I agree that drivers give you a wide berth, they really do slow down and give you plenty of space, much more so than normal riding without the trailer.

Old photo but you get the idea!

odannyboy
    Free Member

CTS chariot.worth every expensive penny.all alloy construction and fold flat in 1 minute.rear wheels are also cambered inwards, unlike most so they corner much better.

franksinatra

That ebay one looks good, but lacking a big storage pocket I think.

If the brake can be locked on then that would be a brilliant feature. If you are loading up on anything except level ground it rolls and can topple the bike. This becomes a bigger issue as the kids get bigger and just jump in and out themselves.

Not having a brake is the only thing i can complain about on the explorer

rkk01
    Free Member

We used a Burley Bee – was very pleased with it. 2 kids side by side. Good resistence training!!

monkeyp

Croozers are great as well – made by Chariot.

Our Kid for 2 was about £300 I think and has the benefit of coming with all of the accessories (stroller, jogging, two hitches etc) rather than having to buy them seperately.

leffeboy

…and if you use one every day with two children then the first time you hit the mountains without it is fantastic 😀

Chariots are great but expensive. Something else to watch out for is to make sure that the link to the bike is solid. This isn't so much a worry of falling off, which I'm sure they won't, but the more solid the hitch the more the trailer feels part of the bike and the nicer it rides.

petrieboy

Another vote for the croozer kid2. Still expensive but half the price of a chariot. Gets more use as a buggy as it's so easy to push, folds in seconds, light weight, fits in the car easily, comes with buggy wheel and jogger wheel. Main difference I found when I was researching is the cheaper ones have the seats above the axel height whereas the croozer and chariots are slung down between the wheels to improve stability.

Burts
    Free Member

Just out of interest, how old were your little ones when you started them in a trailer on smooth paths? 6months, 9months, 1 yr?

My little one is 3 months and it'll be some time before her neck is strong enough for a little helmet etc, but I like to plan ahead. Need to start browsing the classifieds ASAP!

petrieboy

mine was 1 but could have gone in earlier. if you go for the croozer its worth having much earlier to use as an offroad buggy. wish we'd got ours earlier. oh, and even if you dont need the two seater, its never difficult to find a willing co-pilot

DrP

Don't suppose you're selling your croozer are you?!

DrP

smurf
    Free Member

I'll have a Chariot Cougar 2 for sale shortly. It's mid way through a complete strip down, cleaned, and corroded bolts / nuts will have been replaced, new bearings have been fitted in the wheels where necessary, new foam is ready to go on the handlebars and new safety pins have just been fitted to the bike hitch.

I might also have a luggage ruck going spare and a jogging wheel (although someone might buy that this weekend).

There are still some signs of use as it's a few years old (e.g. some light corrosion on the spokes of the wheels, few marks on the fabric) but it's been tidied up pretty well and will last many, many more years.

Looking for £375 for the buggy, £20 for the luggage and £50 for the jogging wheel.

I can be reached at simon AT murfin DOT org DOT uk. Buggy is in west London.

smurf

smurf
    Free Member

forgot to mention the buggy will come with a cycle hitch and the buggy wheels

smurf

kaysee

smurf – I may be interested in the trailer, if it's not already spoken for…

I'll drop you an email in a bit.

DrP

Well, after browsing eBay for second hand croozers, and realising that they really hold their value (sell for circa £290 in pretty ropey nick!) I've bit the bullet and ordered one from my LBS for £385 all in…
    Pricey, but various sources have assured me it's worth it!

FYI – our little one is coming up for 6 months, and I've got him a Weber baby seat to use until he's a bit bigger – £40 of 'theBay'! 🙂

DrP

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Bike trailer for the Kiddiewinks’ is closed to new replies.