Viewing 25 posts - 121 through 145 (of 145 total)
  • Bike Stolen from Bike Shop – Help!
  • martinhutch

If the trade-in was part of the one transaction and was given a cash value within it, Section 75 should apply.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/cards/2015/08/i-got-26k-back-under-section-75-after-i-paid-300-on-credit-card

Probably cleaner to deal through them on the assumption that the rest of the money is never going to show up, and you’ll have bugger all chance of recovering it from the retailer as and when he goes under.

Must admit I figured this was the case when the bloke refunded you in part.

shooterman

Just off the phone to my bank. Looks like a long night of typing out the S 75 claim ahead. Still no definitive answer though.

shooterman

Just had a long chat with Saddleback. I retract my rant!

Can’t say too much but they filled me in extensively. Went far beyond what they had to tell me so I was properly informed about what was going on and in making my choice about how to move forward.

Top blokes.

matt_outandabout

Good news.

jamj1974

Excellent OP.

bigbloke
    Free Member

What happened then OP?. Or out of court settlement as it were

shooterman

Update and huge respect to Oli from Saddleback.

The retailer, UK Cycle Switch, hadn’t replied to my last email sent last week. Oli went into their shop today. I don’t know what that dude said to them but there is now another £900 in my bank account!

I’m still down dosh for various things (eg £146 return postage because they messed about arranging the return etc) but I’m just going to have to write that off.

Oli, being the gent he is, even offered to take the hit for the outstanding monies if I bought direct. I turned that very kind offer down as that wasn’t my agenda.

So, I’m about £300 down overall. I’ve missed all the Black Friday and January sale deals and, to be honest, I’m a bit bruised by the whole experience. I won’t be buying a bike any time soon as I will now be paying far more than I would have if they had refunded me within the 14 days they are required to.

I have to say I have found the behaviour of UK Cycle Switch sickening. It’s put me off the sport to an extent.

tomhoward

It’s put me off the sport to an extent.

Really?

How do you cope with the rest of life?

shooterman

How do you cope with the rest of life?

By avoiding people like Cycle Switch and you Tom.

tomhoward

Staying indoors. Gotchya.

(Is it too late to retract the advice i gave you on page 1, 4th reply, or has the moment passed?)

What I mean is, unfortunate things happen all the time. You were caught up in it this time, and your response to that is to never ride again? Even after saddleback went above and beyond for you? Does that not redress the balance?

shooterman

No, That is not what I’m saying. That is how I’m feeling at the moment. I’m finding it hard to summon the mojo to start hunting for a bike again. Due to the trade in situation, I haven’t been riding for a few months and the cycling habit has been temporarily broken.

This all happened at a fairly stressy time. On the Saturday I bought the bike on the phone my 12 year old son ended up having emergency surgery ( we were originally told he just had an infection). Having to disclose to my better half that I had possibly been conned out of £4k wasn’t the best of moments either.

I will go back and have a look at your post Tom.

joebristol

Don’t let one bad experience with a bike shop put you off. There are still probably plenty of deals out there – just buy from a retailer with a strong reputation.

Personally I haven’t read a lot of great stuff about Intense bikes in general but I don’t have any personal experience so I can’t add any value.

All I know is there are some brilliant companies out there in the world of bikes who’d love to help you with a great bike and great service.

hypnonewt
    Free Member

It is hard to get motivated to ride in Winter anyway, especially after being off the bike for so long. Maybe wait until Spring when the trails look a bit more tempting.

shooterman

Thanks folks. Just glad I managed to recover most of it.

Tom, I think we’re going to have to agree to disagree on the trade in thing. I’m not sure it’s as cut and dried as the retailer having bought my bike.

One view is that the traded in bike was a security for the balance of the purchase price in the context of the distance selling regs. Another view would be that a bailment arises. I would also distinguish it from trading in a car which is a face to face transaction.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

At some point the other side of the story has to come out & I don’t think it will end well, nearly £150 to post a bike, really, did you book a cab?

Ps I hope your son is now ok.

orangeboy
    Free Member

If you add enough insurance cover for a 4K bike and don’t have an account with a courier then it will cost a lot to send.

chakaping
    Free Member

Cheer up mate, there will always be bargains on bikes and nobody’s lost a limb.

Take your time, do some demos and learn a bit more about what you like/need in a bike.

shooterman

The insurance pushed the cost up. Even at that parcelforce were only insuring it for £2k. Have an online receipt to prove.

Thanks for the good wishes folks.

Lad is recovering well. He and we got a shock. Surgeon went from infection to surgery needed immediately in about 30 seconds! So quick he went to theatre in his own clothes.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Glad your lad s doing well

thegreatape
    Free Member

So quick he went to theatre in his own clothes

I hope he had clean underpants on.

giantalkali
    Free Member

I once went to the theatre in my own clothes, worst Rocky Horror Show EVAR!

gribble
    Free Member

OP: I am glad you got most of your cash back.

I would say however go and book some test rides – it will get you out on some nice shiny bits of kit in the better weather.

I have recently started to ride a bit more; redress the work, life and parenting balance and feel a lot better for it. I am not buying at your level (I have a Bfe), but am loving being out and about, even in this winter slop.

As people have said above, there are often deals on and some really are quite amazing value. Keep searching and keep your mojo up.

matt_outandabout

Pleased that things are starting to come back for you, bummer it is not everything. Just seems such an odd situation.

Get out and ride – life is to short to think that this would get in the way of what you want to do, what is good for you and a great way of spending time. Like borrow a bike this weekend. Post a pic.

andywoodall
    Free Member

I confess I’m fairly local to Worcester but I’ve never heard of this ‘Cycle Switch UK’ or whatever. Sounds shit just from the name.

Its easy to say with hindsight, but you’d have been far better off selling privately and going with an online direct sales retailer. Or, asking for advice about mainland shops that are worth the travel (I could have given you a hand full alone) and taking a day trip. For the money you’ve spent on couriers you could have taken the ferry as a foot passenger, got a train, got a bike, train and ferry back and had plenty of change.

Glad to hear you’ve got it sorted, but buying a bike should never be this complicated and while the shop has certainly behaved appallingly (and its very good to know who they are now), I don’t know anyone who would have said doing it this way was a good idea.

Just buy a bike, ride bike. Easy.

shooterman

@Gribble and Matt. Kind words very much appreciated.

@andydowdall. Good advice. I might take a couple of days in Spring to shoot across to Stif and see what other demos are available in the area.

Viewing 25 posts - 121 through 145 (of 145 total)

The topic ‘Bike Stolen from Bike Shop – Help!’ is closed to new replies.