• This topic has 32 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by juan.
Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Bike Shop Opinion!
  • OohShinyBits
    Free Member

Was just looking for a little input from the readership here, safe to say due to a rather interesting change of circumstance I'm in the market for a new bike and I was wondering if anyone had any experience of Singletracks bike shop of the year, Biketreks in Ambleside. They stock a couple of brands I was looking at and was wondering if anyone had dealt with them?

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

yup, very helpful staff. I've never bought a bike from there but have bought various other bits and bobs

XC_PK
    Free Member

Biketreks will get nothing but praise on here! I don't think anyone has ever had a bad deal with them!

rolfharris
    Free Member

Wot he said.

thepurist

They were rubbish – wouldn't stop talking about routes in the area, gave mrs p far too many options for the tights she was after and then had the audacity to offer a discount…

tragically1969
    Free Member

Expect to pay top dollar in exchange for that service though.

trail_rat
    Free Member

1969 – what exactly is top dollar — rrp?? , ie not the internet price where you cant see the item – dont get to try it on , ask advice on it etc…

If i wanted to buy a bike based on a test ride rather than other folks opinions which are almost always biased id pop into a shop like bike treks …..If i was getting a test ride and the option to try a couple sizes id pay RRP rather than get 500 quid off it and end up selling in 2 months later to buy the correct size.

Although i do know of a few shops charging more than RRP – couldnt believe the prices folk were quoting other shops in my old local area were quoting…..or charging 10% on top of their cycle to work schemes…..

tragically1969
    Free Member

trail_rat
    what exactly is top dollar — rrp??

RRP with no negotiation, i think if you were spending £3k on a bike you might at least expect a little money knocked off for a cash deal or am i asking too much ?

grumm
    Free Member

Yeah they are nice folk, bought my Pitch in there and they were very helpful. Have had a few minor issues of messages not quite getting through properly between different members of staff, but they have always been quick to rectify and apologetic.

samuri
    Free Member

RRP with no negotiation, i think if you were spending £3k on a bike you might at least expect a little money knocked off for a cash deal or am i asking too much ?

I think you're asking too much. Why should they give you a discount merely because you pay cash? Assuming they want to stay legal, it'll all go through the books and now they have the added complication of taking the money down to the bank through the mean streets of ambleside. Or is it the value of the bike that you feel entitles you to a discount? They didn't advertised it at that price for a laugh so people come could in and offer a different price, that's the price of the bike, take it or leave it.

I don't own a bike shop but I'd almost certainly go bust very quickly if I did because I'd be forever telling cheeky buggers to eff off because they kept asking for a discount for NO OBVIOUS REASON.

Anyway, yes, very helpful and pleasant bike shop, they opened the door a lot earlier than normal once when they saw me standing outside and then gave me very detailed and useful advice about the route I was taking.

juan
    Free Member

am i asking too much ?

Well no you are not. However can you give us a very good reason why they should oblige?
    It is always good to get a bargain off the Internet lets face it. However when you go to the shop it's a whole different matter. You are paying for:
    The good
    The knowledge of the staff
    All the service the internet can not offers (such as test rides, seeing the product going home with it straight away etc etc).

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I don't own a bike shop but I'd almost certainly go bust very quickly if I did because I'd be forever telling cheeky buggers to eff off because they kept asking for a discount for NO OBVIOUS REASON.

Agreed.

Do you pop in to your local corner shop and buy a pint of milk saying, "Can you do me a deal for cash?" Why should buying a bike be any different. If your local corner shop values your custom and chooses to offer you a deal on that pint of milk, all well and good, but it shouldn't be assumed that you'll get a discount just because you're spending money with them.

tragically1969
    Free Member

Fair do's, sounds like i am wrong, i can accept that, i just feel more satisfied if i can get a few quid off something, makes me feel better about spending !! 😉

Well when i said cash i meant Credit\Debit card etc. they seemed more interested in a finance deal than having the cash in their pockets, which i can understand too as they get to charge full RRP for the bike and probably get a few quid in their pockets from the finance company for selling the deal.

meeeee
    Free Member

but using that arguement about the corner shop above, why do people always haggle money off cars then? I mean if you pay full retail for a car people woulf then think you were some kind of mug?!

I think people just like a discount when buting expensive items eg high end bikes, cars etc but no one would expect money off cheap things like groceries

samuri
    Free Member

because car showrooms are complete rip off merchants and all bike shop owners are angels sent down from heaven.

jim
    Free Member

Do you pop in to your local corner shop and buy a pint of milk saying, "Can you do me a deal for cash?" Why should buying a bike be any different.

I wouldn't buy a pint of milk on a credit card. I would however put a bike on one, which would cost the shop 2-3% in processing fees.

tragically1969
    Free Member

I wouldn't buy a pint of milk on a credit card. I would however put a bike on one, which would cost the shop 2-3% in processing fees.

Which is usually factored into the 30-40% profit they make on a bike sale.

cb

First experience I had with them was of arrogance and a complete lack of customer care. Had agreed a demo of an Orange, they quite clearly stated that it would be free (in fact I had arranged for it to be shipped to them by Orange). Got there and they told me it had been booked out to someone else and I could have it the next day for £40. I don't disagree with paying for demos but these circumstances had been sorted weeks in advance and I had travelled three hours to ride it.

They have however, been top rate in subsequent visits so quite willing to accept the guy I dealt with was having a bad day. No shop is perfect but goes to show that an off day can have a lasting effect on customers' attitude.

And in terms of discount, if I were paying £3k (especially cash) for a bike, I would ask for a discount. Wouldn't be offended if they said no but might go elsewhere if I thought a better deal for me would result. Some brands are obviously too popular to attract discounts (simple supply and demand), but not many.

If a shop owner told me to eff off for asking for a discount then they would get their wish…and yes samuri, you would indeed go bust!

meeeee
    Free Member

i think shops which offer 0% for 12 months or more should mayube offer some discount to people who pay the whole lot in one go?

I mean the finance will cost the shop something so if you dont go down that route then a discount wouldnt be unreasonable? Or even vouchers to spend on other items in the shop.

psling
    Free Member

I mean the finance will cost the shop something…

Not necessarily; quite often the shop will earn a commission on a finance deal so perhaps the time to ask for a discount is if you're buying on finance.

I would be more likely to ask for a deal on accessories or clothing to go with the new bike rather than a cash discount on the bike myself. This seems to be more favourable to the shop.

scuttler

I always ask for a discount in a bike shop if it's over about 30 quid (is that everything..?). They can always say no. With the last thing I bought in Biketreks (Endura short liners) I got 3 quid/10% off without even moving my lips.

Nice shop, nice people.

samuri
    Free Member

and yes samuri, you would indeed go bust!

I totally agree, that's why I work in IT security where I get paid to tell people to eff off.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I've used them once when on holiday. My shock bush had gone, but I happened to have a new one which their mechanic fitted for me for nothing.
    Top chaps!

geoffj

Depending on what you want, there are other decent bike shops in the area. I've had mixed levels of service from them on different occasions. Sometimes, it's a little reminiscent of Tiso's in Edinburgh, where the staff are too cool and would rather be out climbing / bouldering / mountaineering than help you find the size of jacket you are looking for.

I guess its a hazard with all shops of that ilk, but it can still be bloody infuriating.

FWIW, I've never found wheelbase to be like that.

Mister-P
    Free Member

When I worked in a shop we were encouraged to throw in accessories FOC rather than knocking money off the bike as the margins on bikes are pretty low compared to other bits.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

great shop, never actualy managed to spend any money there though, they always point out some bodge that will cost nothing and keep the bike going for the rest of the week!

Bream
    Free Member

I agree with tragically1969, if you are parting with a large sum of money then what is wrong in asking for a better deal? Ok, not talking here about a pint of milk but IMHO there is no harm in asking, the seller can always say no, however they could also say yes. If they say yes then there are winners all round, the seller makes a sale, the buyer gets what they want and save a bit of cash, the follow on is they go out a spout to all they meet about how good the seller was and encourages them to buy from that seller etc. If they say no then, well, none of the before probably 😐

Something like this: Why it pays to haggle on the high street

BigDummy
    Free Member

I've occasionally been offered discounts, and like it when it happens. But I only buy things that I want and can afford, so they don't need to give me a discount to secure my business on the big buys, the discount just gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling and them the possibility of repeat custom. 🙂

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

The mark up on bikes, bits and clothing is very high. If I cant get 10% off anything in a LBS I usually walk.

Also when your in the shop you can see if they will match a price you have seen on the internet, they usually match it or get very close.

Buyers market, simples.

Never got discount from Asda, Tesco etc. but have tried loads of times.
    Got discount on some £80.00 trainers from JD Sports, the spoty sales kid said "No" I said get your boss please and he give me some discount because i was friendly, nice and to the point. You cant be blunt and cold, make em laugh make em your friend.

Dale Carnegie PMSL 8) 😆

Daffy

I used to manage a Computer supplier and over the counter customers would always ask us to knock money off new PCs. Given that we had something like 10% on a new computer, there's nothing to knock off. However, I would agree to supply a limited amount additional kit at our cost price to said customer. We didn't loose out (well not much) and the customer felt good about getting a discount, even if only on accessories.

crazy-legs

Which is usually factored into the 30-40% profit they make on a bike sale.

Most bike mark-ups aren't anywhere near that high and you're paying for the bike to sit around in the store, be built up and checked over by a qualified mechanic and to sit around taking up space on a shop floor.
    It's not simply the material value of the bike itself.

Most shops are happier offering discounts on accessories bought with the bike but it varies – if the customer is a cock they're not going to get a discount plain and simple. We had a guy in once buying a kids bike and he started *demanding* (rather than asking for) a discount.
    10%. No.
    8%. No
    It got to the point where he was asking for the equivalent of about £2 off and getting more and more wound up about it… 🙂

Edit: but yes, back to the original question, BikeTreks are very good – nice shop, lots of shiny kit in there and knowledgeable staff to sell it to you.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

30%-40% PROFIT

😆 😆 😆

margin does not = profit

when i worked at Dixons we had to average 67% mark up to turn a decent profit on goods when you take overheads/tax etc into account

juan
    Free Member

When my LBS sells something 10€ It's 35 cts for each of the two owners and 25 cts for the mechanics.
    EDIT but they are ipso facto below RPP prices.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Bike Shop Opinion!’ is closed to new replies.