Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Bike shed/workshop size spec.
  • akira

Moving house soon and ma need to convert a garage or build something, pics, stories advice and specs all appreciated. May need to fit five bikes and a pile of gubbins as well as room to do some fettling.

stew1982
    Free Member

A Garage is prob best, or a shed/workshop at least 10×12 I’d say for bikes/tools/fettling!
    – I’ve just ordered one from tiger sheds (they happen to advertise on STW too). They seem to be decent quality and pretty cheap.

trail_rat
    Free Member

built my own , 8 x 10

would have to throw all the bikes out to work on a bike inside but has a workbench for those small jobs …just need to get hold of a decent vice !

cost me 400 quid and 2 days work for 2 guys all in – 16mm ship lap sides , 4 x 2 framing , 16mm ply floor sitting on 8x4s and 12 for roof no windows

the door has had another coat since and the security has been upgraded , that was just a hasp i bought at focus on a sunday morning as stupid forgot he needed locks !

only downside is no electricity but if out for extended time i just run an extension out the window , for other times i got some battery powered led press lights that are fine for getting bikes in an out in the dark

br
    Free Member

Trailrat

You look like you’ve loads of space, why didn’t you build it bigger?

And no electricity…

akira

Had a look and Tiger seem pretty good, what you planning on doing for work tops then?
    Trailrat, really need to have enough room to keep the bikes in as well as fettle and need power etc, also I’m sh1te at DIY so prefab seems the way forward, still good skills!

trail_rat
    Free Member

rented property is the answer to both questions

try not to spend too much time in there anyway prefer to ride !

the big question is – how many bikes your got – i have 10 bikes in that shed and can still work at the bench in comfort …. electricity would be a synch to put in if i wished but i cant go taking a spur out of a rented house so all i do is throw a cord out the bathroom window and plug in the lamp. – that coupled with a small pocket radio and im laughing

tomaso
    Free Member

Fleabay always has a plentiful supply of unwanted cheap concrete sectional garages – think three little pigs – would you build a house for your babies out of twigs?
    fleabay garage

br
    Free Member

Trailrat – ah, I see.

Garage is the solution, at least most of one:

trail_rat
    Free Member

as the old adege goes – the more space the more crap BR 😉 i reckon still room for at least 3 more bikes in my shed 😀

akira

Well currently looking at houses as moving so may have a garage but current favourite has big garden but no garage.
    Don’t really want to spend that much time in there but when it’s wet, dark and raining it would be nice to be able to do some fettling, currently I have to drag various bikes out a cupboards and hope for good weather.

coastkid
    Free Member

when i moved 3 years ago i spent money on the garage/garden …
    30 SQ Meter sectional garage is the max without planning permission…
    its my 2nd home is the man cave… 😮

its built alot of bikes since…
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSYhSorkhJ8[/video]

akira

Coastkid, if you don’t mind what are the dimensions and costs?

coastkid
    Free Member

30 square meter sectional garage cost me £4500 with a £400 concrete base layed previously…sounds alot till you look at bathroom/kitchens then its not bad.. 😮

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Bike shed/workshop size spec.’ is closed to new replies.