Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Bike Security- What works ? – What doesn't ?
  • plus-one

With the increasing number of bikes being stolen up and down the country I would
    Love to hear what locks/measures have been good at foiling attempts to steal bikes ..

Be good if either this thread or similar could be kept updated with security items ideas that
    Work and listing the stuff to not bother with ..

1. Don’t bother with the hasp and staple unless its a really meaty brute(the eyelet can be bolt cropped rendering closed shackle padlock useless)

Col

porter_jamie

don’t let them know you have one. don’t ever have it visible from outside the house – through a window etc.
    never let it out of your sight if you are away from home.
    don’t keep it in a shed, keep it in the house.
    insurance!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

1st rule of security – at least what the insurance company asks for to the letter.
    Don’t advertise it, don’t parade it round don’t leave it out.

You will deter the opportunist with locks/hassle the serious ones will just make sure they have the time and the tools.

old_mtber
    Free Member

I saw something recently about using alarmed motor cycle disc brake locks on a mountain bike. Cost is about £30.
    Not tried this myself so does anyone have any comments?
    At first sight this would appear a good idea as additional security in a garage or on a car bike rack.

core

Live in the countryside.

weeksy

old_mtber – Member
    I saw something recently about using alarmed motor cycle disc brake locks on a mountain bike. Cost is about £30.
    Not tried this myself so does anyone have any comments?
    At first sight this would appear a good idea as additional security in a garage or on a car bike rack

Great apart from the fact you can remove a MTB wheel in about 4 seconds and leave it on the floor ?

A motorbike being 200kg is slightly harder to leave the wheel behind.

ChrisI

Oxford do alarmed D-Locks for motorbikes. I have one and it does work well. You can chose to arm the alarm or not, and TBH its a good deterrent when you are out and about when used with a suitable chain.

When at home we use the same chain and a ground anchor mounted to the wall, but the best measure you can take is to keep it out of sight as much as possible while also locking it with the biggest chain you can manage 🙂

khani
    Free Member

Locked room inside the house and four barky dogs..

fasthaggis

Live in the countryside.

Good luck with that theory 🙄

As said above,don’t have them on display if at all possible.
    Ground anchor with cables and locks connecting the bikes together.
    Make it as awkward ( and noisy )as possible for them to me taken.

There are loads of motion alarms out there ,and some of them are solar powered for sheds away from a power supply.

Northwind

Never trust a cable lock, even the best of them is close to useless.

greeble
    Free Member

never trust a thread on stw debating what works/doesn’t as the thief will come prepaired for said security measure.

iamroughrider
    Free Member

That DealXtreme website sell small bike alarms to be used when locking up the bike in public. Not sure if they are any good.

aracer
    Free Member

binners

plus-one

Yes if someone really wants your bike they will get it if they have enough time….

Be good to know folks experience of what has stopped an opportunist/low level scum from making off with bike and
    Equally what isn’t worth wasting money on..

I’m lucky I’m overlooked by neighbours(so any theft will have to be fairly quiet) I’ve put on what I see to be hard to cut/pick quietly..

greeble…

Unless the thief can get our address from here I don’t see a problem ?

Another great tip I got from here

Baby monitor(if you have power)

almightydutch
    Free Member

4 Bolt double wall ground anchor with Almax Series 3 chain.

Failing that, have your workshop/shed/man cave behind a lovely retired gents house who treats his neighbourhood watch duties very seriously

cookeaa

All property is theft! Apparently…

So just don’t own anything, then you can’t be robbed!

chip
    Free Member

Plus one judging from your last post , security lights.
    Place them high enough not to be easily disabled.

Make sure the area is well covered by the motion sensors , and the brighter the better.
    So as to alert you or neighbour.
    No one will want to hang around to long if they know they are lit up like wembley stadium especially If overlooked by other properties.

funkrodent

Ground anchor is a lovely idea. Right up to the time when you find some scrote has popped in and stripped your frame and then rendered it unusable as an afterthought. Bit like those somewhat forlorn stripped bikes you see at railway stations.

If you really want to be secure from burglars, a couple of big, barky dogs will do it every time. Nobody is going to risk their knackers/throat/both for a bike..

chip
    Free Member

Also if applicable Gravel around area where bikes are kept.
    It is very hard to be sneaky when walking on gravel.

slowjo
    Free Member

fasthaggis

yorlin
    Free Member

While we’re here, what’s the best insurance for bikes? is it the CTC cover? I did some searches on here but it’s not something I know that much about… Just got my first valuable bike!

GrahamS

I asked a while ago about good shed security and dhrider recommended use one of these type of rape alarms:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Minder-Tii-Personal-protection-attack-alarm-with-strobe-torch-light-143-db-/300923767499?pt=UK_Safety_Alarms&hash=item4610744acb

£8, 143dB, and operates when a pin is pulled out so easy to rig to a shed door with a bit of string in a MacGyver claymore style.

hora
    Free Member

With the increasing number of bikes being stolen up and down the country I would
    Love to hear what locks/measures have been good at foiling attempts to steal bikes ..

Nothing works. NOTHING.

If you use the worlds best locks I’ll just hacksaw through your frame in two places. It’ll take me all of 3minutes.

If you don’t want to give a thief money in his pocket don’t put your bike in your shed or garages.

One day insurance companies are going to exclude bikes I bet.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Keep it indoors, own dogs, have a house alarm, have good neighbours and local police.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Bike Security- What works ? – What doesn't ?’ is closed to new replies.