Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • bike radar brake test
  • trickydisco
    Free Member

A friend of mine has started quoting the bike radar test and is using that as a basis for buying some new brakes (he was looking at hope x2’s but after reading the bikeradar brake test he’s now changing his mind

I remember a few people on STW disputing the results but can’t find any threads about it.

So what was the general feeling? Is it best to ignore the test?

Clong
    Free Member

The ultimate braking force of the brake is only part of the story, there’s a lot more to them that id say. I run saints and find them spot on, however many people find them overkill. Some people prefer the feel of avids, etc.

Whilst the test gives a good guide as to the performance of the brake, i wouldn’t base my choice solely on the test, there are just too many other variables. Your freind should try them really, but obviously thats not always possible.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Just get some you like the look of, TBH if they’re not as powerfull, you just squeeze the lever harder to compensate. If you dont like the ‘feel’ just get used to it, I have shimano on one bike and hope on the other, feel completely different, and TBH I don’t like either, I much prefer magura’s. But once youre out of the car park I barely notice them* anyway.

*except the hopes are on 160/140mm rotors and I weigh 97kg in my birthday suit after a haircut, so unsuprizingly locking them up can take some effort!

One day I’ll be able to afford some new magura’s………….

RicB

Agree with both of the above – far more to ‘good’ brakes than just power.

BUT, power is something Tech X2s are woefully short of. I weigh 65Kg and the 160/160 X2 brakes on an Orange 5 demo (i.e. profesionally maintained) were terrible. Even the pro mechanic admitted he thought they were poor and suggested elixirs.

trickydisco
    Free Member

oopps.. sorry meant hope race x2’s for his lightweight build

toys19
    Free Member

I’ve got codes, saints, avid juicy fives and elixirs 5s. All good.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Odd, I’ve got mono mini pro’s (which should logicaly be worse than X2’s) and tiny rotors aside think they’re ace (just not magura gustav levels of ace).

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

Sorry wrong thread, my browser jumped posts for me…

ooOOoo
    Free Member

One of the few remotely scientific tests from a UK magazine. I was impressed. Would love to see if I could achieve -1g with the Saints on 2.3 slicks 🙂

dan1980
    Free Member

When people spend a lot of money on something, it naturally becomes the dogs danglies, and anyone suggesting otherwise is committing high treason.

People will dispute a test if it makes it look like their choice isn’t the best. But as people say, different brakes feel differently. A friend of mine swears by his Hopes, what he calls modulation and feel, I call in need of a damn good bleed, whereas he hates the initial throw on my SLXs. It’s all swings and roundabouts in the end.

DickBarton

I had a read of that but didn’t read too much into it…end of the day it’s personally choice…if you read something and let that dictate what you ‘think’ then there is little hope you you.

You need to get a shot of a few systems and see which one works best for you…I can’t see past Hopes as they seem to work amazingly well for me…but a few of my ride buddies won’t touch them…

trickydisco
    Free Member

i hate my avid elixirs on my enduro.. I’ve had them bled (by myself and a bike mechanic) and in comparison to my mates bikes when we were in the alps they were very poor

BTW.. this friend of mine isn’t me. He’s finally come round to the idea of some disc brakes for his Hei hei and wants something light.

pypdjl
    Free Member

The test was drivel, I’d certainly not make any decisions based off of it!

Dekerf
    Free Member

I got some race x2 and find them great, not tried much else though. Got them cos of weight and serviceability.

Replaced my old xc4’s and they are a little lighter and better… Much better than the v’s I still run on another bike, I can easily lock either wheel. Service and back up from home a great. My old xc4’s lasted 8 years which was great

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘bike radar brake test’ is closed to new replies.