Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Bike lights (night riding) advice please
  • ljs1977
    Free Member

Looking at starting night ride this year as I am fitter and lighter than ever and don’t want to turn in to the “sad sack” I was over winter.

Looking at Magic Shine 872’s and a Cree Ultra fire head torch.

Is this the best current MS main beam?
    Can I have some recommendations for a head torch please

Cheers

cyclistm
    Free Member

Exposure diablo

ljs1977
    Free Member

Or would a few torches be enough?

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

872’s are (were?) great.

I took a punt this time last year and posted a review here:
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/another-dx-light-option-a-mini-review-and-beamshots

However, that was 12 months ago, things will have moved on. I also got some xml based lights last August – and promptly got rid of them due to the tight beam pattern.

What we need really is for you to do the same thing and take a punt on something new and post up a review. Then – if its good – it’ll sell out before the clocks go back!

Just to add – this is the first year when I’m satisfied in the lumens arms race. I’d now only upgrade for a longer battery run time or some handy feature – not more lumens / spread / etc. The 872’s weak point seems to be a sudden drop off in light after 2 1/2 hours at max (prob 5 hours swapping low/med/high).

Someone will be along in a sec to say that I’m a dinosaur….

grtdkad

I’ve owned a lot of lights over the years – the best by far that I have used (even when compared to the mainstream brands) come from a shed oop north …
    http://troutie.com/Products

Stunning lights. In every way.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Ay-Up lights for helmet the lamp weighs 55g and the battery is one of the lightest I have seen. you can also have battery in pocket so a very light setup.

Paired they are very good though exchange rate may be against you.

They also do periodic upgrades at good prices. I just got my 2 lamps (4/5 years old) “Upgraded” for £90. They took the old ones which now get sold to schools/groups cheap and sent me brand new ones.

All round top guys

(sorry I know this thread was about DX’s)

JoeG
    Free Member

Ay Ups +1!

I have the V4 set, both helmet and bar mount. They let you pick from 3 different beam patterns from flood to spot. You can get them at standard brightness or a brighter version with reduced run time. The small (1/2 epic) batteries are tiny, and the large ones are not very big either.

One of the big benefits of the Ay Ups (V4 at least) are the included accessories. The charger works with AC power in the house, but it also includes a cigarette lighter adapter so you can charge in the car. And a headband (for use w/o a helmet) is included, too. The Gecko helmet mount system is genius!

And they have an upgrade program, so you can get brighter lights and such as they become available at a pretty reasonable cost.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Head Torch?

Exposure Joystick

Add a MaxXD on the bars & it’s an awesome combination IMHO.

zippykona

I have an 872 and not felt the need for more light. My helmet light now just gets me to and from the dirt.
    Turning helmet light on with 872 makes no difference.
    As above the lumen war is over for me.
    I am always amazed when I turn it on at the first proper dark bit.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I bought a light from mtb batteries, recommended on another forum and at the price £60-ish definitely worth a try. I’ve only played around with it so far and not used it in anger on the trails but so far so good.

They have just released a new more expensive model at £89 but the Mk1 is till available.

MTB Light Link

nwgiles

I use the magic shine, the lumens are a little exaggerated however I find them easily bright enough. Llandegla forest in the middle of winter with no problems.
    One on the helmet and one on the bars

bigrich

wiggle are doing the six pack for lots off, plus an extra 10%. code 10-OFF.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/exposure-six-pack-mk2-front-light/

br
    Free Member

While I now have a pair of Exposure lights (night-riding becomes a bit of an arms-race, and when your riding buddy buys a better light…).

But, to get started a couple of cheap (I had a £10 Tesco’s torch and £35 ebay light) Magicshine/ebay/etc lights will be fine. You need two lights really, one on the bars and one on the helmet – this enables ‘shadows’ to be created showing you where the ruts/holes are.

And then enjoy.

nbt

MTB lights are great for the bike, little unwieldy on the head but manageable

patricksingletrack
    Free Member
    tonyplym
    Free Member

Another vote here for Troutie’s work . . . a Darkness Dominator gives all the light you’ll ever need.

rocketman
    Free Member

Looking at Magic Shine 872’s

I am always amazed when I turn it on at the first proper dark bit.

^^ this
    Bought one last year to see what all the fuss was about and it is a very good fit-forget light.

Output is uncontrolled in a small nuclear explosion kindof way there is light up/down/left/right as well as a huge forward pool but for £90 or whatever it was I have no complaints.

I also have a Lumicycle XPG which has a similar light output although it is much more controlled/defined which you’d expect for 3x the price.

z1ppy

Looking at Magic Shine 872’s and a Cree Ultra fire head torch.

Is this the best current MS main beam?

The Magicshine MJ-872 is an amazing unit for the money, the Inton Dual XML or MJ -880 are even brighter for not a lot more money (£100 or less on ebay). Though the current brightest must be the triple XML unit appearing, but the only one currently (easily) available is a fluxient one for £140 on the bay, a big step up in price.

Head torches wise, I used a Dealextreme P7 (precursor to the XML led) torch for years, very good but a little heavy with the 18650 battery (very noticeable). Otherwise look at the single XML unit from DX or MTB Batteries as alternatives, the remote batteries is a better way to go.

bigbloke
    Free Member

Again another vote for Troutie Lights here, own a Darkness Dominator with small battery pack which is more than enough for my winter riding needs, throws plenty of light on the trails with a really useful boost function too (which will reduce trees to ash when uesd), absolutely superb so far, build quality excellent. Even wins in the arms race with riding buddies who are all in awe of it.Buy right buy once.

Del

have a look on deal extreme for bike lights. think the last time i looked they had a new, dual-xml head unit out for bar mounting.
    i use one of these on my lid. my lid has a nice centre channel in the vents that allows me to just use inner tube to fix it in place quite happily, but if you want to get all fancy-dan about it they’re a very good fit for the exposure mounts.
    the bar and lid combination is really useful. you get light where you need it, good contrast and shadows as someone mentioned up there, and you’ve got light for rooting around in your pack, fixing punctures etc.

z1ppy

Nealy, have you used that supplier? (looking for a recommendation, not to slag your link)
    As that dual XML is interesting, love the battery, not sure about it’s mount though.

stuey
    Free Member

Smudge’s new rear light with “frikin LASORS” looks good.

My old only 1300lm troutlight – is not be as bright as my new 2xXML – but its battery last longer

imho – too much light can spoil a night ride: So the op original suggestion would be fine- what cree LED are you going to have on you head – I’ve ran a ‘warm xml’ to give some contrast.

EDIT 502b ‘s are quite small but as the XML whites are only $17 I’d go for that – the downside is the 18650 battery ones weigh a bit.

tomaso
    Free Member

There are loads of decent options depending on your budget, brand allegiance etc.

The £30 ish XML bastid lights are amazing value and have plenty of light, if lacking a little in spread. I’ve had mine for a year with no problems mounted to my helmet and it is great.

If you are worried about warranty on above light then MTB batteries buys you peace of mind at twice the price.

All the magic shine lights seem good but aren’t without problems.

Hope and Exposure lights are fantastic, are British and have bombproof reliability backed up with bombproof aftersales service that goes well beyond any statutory obligation. A mates 4 year old Hope4 went back with an iffy battery and came back free of chagre with need battery and leads 3 days later. Similar thing happened with a mates Joystick with Exposure.

I’d recommend either a Hope R4 or a similar priced Exposure light for the bars and a cheap £30 XML lamp for your lid.

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

I love my Hope Vision 4’s and would recomend them all day long. A few years old now and have proved to be very reliable and robust. They do get a kicking and just keep going. You do get that buying British glow as a bonus too. 😀

Mantastic
    Free Member

set of Ay Ups stilling around my house doing nowt. I now have one of troutie specials.

I have the endurance pack cira two years old. It should give you about 20 hours of battery life if you have all the batteries with you. I think I have helment and bar mounts.

£150 if anyone would like them. I am based in the midlands

PS email in Profile

molgrips
    Free Member

Aw come on, it’s not even September yet!

stuey
    Free Member

Nealy – excellent ‘light harvest’ 🙂

Anybody got the link to the £3 wide beam XML bastid lens?

nealy
    Free Member

Nealy, have you used that supplier? (looking for a recommendation, not to slag your link)
    As that dual XML is interesting, love the battery, not sure about it’s mount though.

I haven’t bought from Lightmalls or Manafont yet but they come recommended by Bikeradar’s light nut and on Budgetlightforum.com so I’d recommend them to friends and family without worry and will be ordering the £29 3xR5 light from them soon. I’ve ordered twice from DX and both times it took 6+ weeks to arrive but ightmalls and Manafont orders are meant to turn up in a couple of weeks. As with DX though be careful with payments, it’s best to use paypal and use a unique password if you create an account on their website.

The battery does look good on that Ultrafire twin T6.

Nealy – excellent ‘light harvest’

I’ve been doing some late rides recently so have already been getting ready for this years light wars 😉 In fairness the 2 501B torches I have are fine but I want to stick them on my lid and get something offensive on the bars 😀

vorlich
    Free Member

Love my Exp. Diablo mk3, reckon I’ll add a mk2 XML for the bars this year.

z1ppy

Stuey US or UK lens suppliers

(I have no experience of either seller or the lens supplied)

Fair enuff comment Nealy.. they do look good & DX were a risk that paid off.

tomaso
    Free Member

I bought a cheap Chinese triple XPG R5 from DX and the mount makes it useless offroad bt the light is good.

yetitony
    Free Member

I run a Exposure Joystick adn MaxxD same as Teetosugars.
    Great set up…

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

the new mtb batteries light £89 i+ Alpkits headtorch for £15 is all you require. just over £100 all in

andybloomer
    Free Member

Got my eye on one of these. A claimed 1200 lumina and zoomable, I don’t think a tight spotlight is a good idea but not really an expert. Don’t know what the run time would be with just one of those 18650 batteries.

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/18-UltraFire-W109-Cree-XM-L-T6-1200-lumens-3-Mode-zoom-Led-Flashlight-Free-shipping/607776_507933603.html

stuey
    Free Member

That’s the One (UK) thanks zippy – turns my U2 XML in to a
    “Trout light killer” * well almost ’cause my trout runs for 6 hours and smells of Yorkshire.

stuey
    Free Member

dp

trout
    Free Member

This Troutie is giving up tha mass produced lights for this year .

will still be doing the odd stupid light for folks. and have some stock of
    Dominators and spidereyes. to sell off. probably as DIY assemble kits when I have worked out a price for them .

Can’t keep swimming upstream against the flow of Chinese cheapies .

stuey
    Free Member

Troutie -sad to hear but in the face of cheap b’stards completely understandable. 🙁
    I’d love a DIY spider – no hurry as my other 2 trout lights are going V strong – I’ll ping my interest via email.

ransos
    Free Member

I’ve been very happy with the smudge/ mtb batteries light. Plenty of power for normal night riding, though you might want an extra light for racing.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Bike lights (night riding) advice please’ is closed to new replies.