Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Another DX light option – a mini review and beamshots
  • couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

I couldnt find any info posted previously so here goes: Just back from a few hours in the dark around GT.

My “old” P7 bastid has started to get tempremental (battery wise) so I decided to relegate it to my lid. Initially I got 2011 XML job – but I dont like the super hotspot at all so sold it on and went on the hunt again.

I ended up going for a Magicshine MJ-872. 4 * XPGs. I got it on ebay for £95 (why cant I post any links with apersands?): http://tinyurl.com/3nu4u45

Arrived next day.

Which is cheaper (and has the fancier battery with a touch sensitive led display) then direct from DX (with the older style battery). Closest is this one:
    http://www.dealextreme.com/p/mj-872-waterproof-4-cree-xp-g-4-mode-1600-lumen-white-led-bike-light-with-battery-pack-set-80953

Also I’m sure this – or something very similar – is sold under a different brand – Fire something?

Anyway – it’s in a different league to the P7 – To me it’s a near ideal mtb “cheapish” bar light (apart from being a bit pricey 😉 ).

No flashy mode. No SOS nonsense. Turn-on defaults to high or low – depending on what button you press (up or down). 2 extra in between modes should you be fussy. Build quality to my in-expert eye is MUCH improved over previous clones. I havent had to get the soldering iron out yet!

The hightlight is – there is no noticable “highlight”. Or hot spot. Its a BIG spill of light. Nearly a wall! So much so when I was taking the photos below I couldnt figure out where the centre of the beam was with my bare eyes. In retrospect the photos indicate that light was pointing slightly too far down.

It mounts solidy enough on the bars – usual O-ring thingys. Battery lasted approx 2 hours on high before indicator turned orange (think its red is after that). Connectors, voltages, batteries and charger seem compatible with P7 bastid.

Anyway – photos : all comparing ssc P7 with the 4*xpg : some of you will recognise the car park! (iso 100, f4, 6sec, daylight- taken approx 9.30pm, Scotland, end August so there is still lots of light in the sky). All taken after approx 1hr use.

Downsides – It’s a lot dearer than the latest cheap XML offerings. But for the bars it is a much better proposition than other DX types that I’ve encountered – so I thought I’d share!

One weird side effect is that getting back in the car after a few hours – I thought there was something wrong with the car’s dipped headlights – seemed like they only light up the bottome 1/3 of the field of view. Which is what they are meant to do on the road obviously!

althepal

So the one you got from ebay has a better battery? Whats better about it?- only asking cos I cant see the battery spec fir the DX one- I would also say I’m no expert on these things!
    The ebay one certainly looks good vfm and the beamshot looks good, although 4 cree xmls will always have a better beam than an old p7 surely? Ie- less likely to have a hotspot due to the 4 emitters..?

stumpy01

So this is comparing it to the original Bastid – black housing with silver front ring? As opposed to a torch?

It looks really bright!

I’m trying to decide whether to go xpg or xml on a Cutter LED board for my Lumi’s. Think it will have to be the XML, based on this!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

The ebay battery is “better” as it better sealed, has a display that says how many volts are left and is in a custom plastic case with a rubberised base and a curve to suit bike tubes instead of a nylon pouch. It’s probably the same batteries inside in though.

And yes the comparison between the first magicshine bastid (this one: http://www.dealextreme.com/p/ha-iii-ssc-p7-c-sxo-3-mode-900-lumen-led-bike-light-set-25149
    ) and the new xpg one. It is bright – but more importantly – a real wide beam. I dont think my photos really show just how different the spread is.

CiderRiderRich
    Free Member

Just ordered my 4 x XPG Magicshine off of ebay, but found a UK seller who splits up the light, charger and battery. This means I was able to get a 6600mAh battery the longer rides.

Should arrive on Friday so I can give it a try for Torq in Your Sleep ( with my trusty Hope Vision 2 as backup).

Cheers for the review, prefer buying from within the UK (even if it does cost a bit more).

Pukeko
    Free Member

Any chance you could post a pic of the unit fitted to your bars. Would like to see real life setup to get idea of physical size and neatness, etc. Cheers.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

I’ll try and get one later – but probably tomorrow.

In the meantime heres a video review from the US that shows size, usage etc. The one I got came with a uk plug – otherwise its the same I think.

tops5
    Free Member

Any chance of an Ebay link? Can’t see any “4 x XPG” on there (no idea what i’m on about tho..)

Edit – Note to self “read the OP!” 🙄

peakprowler
    Free Member

OP – could you post a pic of the front of thye light, there appears to be two versions of the optics on these, a more ‘frosted’ very floody & a less frosted version thats less floody. I wish to sourse the less floody version hence the request.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Heres are some more photos are requested. See link below for more and bigger photos.

The optic appears clear in front of the leds and frosted between them. Just to confirm – I got the one from ebay uk in the tinyurl link above. I dont know if the DX one is exactly the same – I had assumed it would be. Note the small velcro strap near the connector to help tidy up the leads- a nice touch.

More:
    https://picasaweb.google.com/Ronan.A.Burke/26August2011?authuser=0&feat=directlink%5DMJ-872 photos

angryratio
    Free Member

Thanks.. those beamshots have helped me choose.

Ordered.!

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I’ve ordered one too 8)

Does anyone do a battery holder than uses the downtube bottle bosses?

I don’t run a bottle these days so the two bosses are spare – if the battery could be connected via this then it would keep things tidy and secure.

CiderRiderRich
    Free Member

Mine have arrived this morning – been on charge all day, looking forward to taking them for a little spin this evening.

The cable on the light and the battery are quite long, so thinking about popping the battery in an old water bottle and trying in the down tube bottle cage.

Will let you have first impressions later this evening.

JohnnyPanic

The Ebay version battery may have the benefit of a sealed case and Voltage readout (uneccesary imo as the switch lets you know how much you have left) but it weighs quite a bit more. I know once on the bike it makes little difference. Good price though. The DX version is cheaper at $145 (£88 ish) but not by much.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Good point about the weight Johnny Panic. As regards price – once paypal (dubious exchange rates) or card company have taken a cut – theres not much in it.

Hopefully Cider Rich posts his point of view later and its not just me that’s all enthusiastic like.

CiderRiderRich
    Free Member

Just been for a 20 minute spin with the new lights.

Have to say I am very impressed. My previous bar lights (Hope Vision 2 with 480 lumens) were starting to show their age, but the optics on them were excellent with a good flood of light, it just did not go very far.

These ebay sourced lights have an excellent flood of light with no brightspots, rings or shaddows and certainly the top three settings are clearly brighter than my Hopes. I expect I will mainly run the light on 75% or even 50% to improve run times.

Build quaility seems good – but to be honest only a winter of night riding prove if it is (am keeping hold of my Hopes til Spring, just in case)

I bought a larger battery pack (6600mAh) which comes in a pouch and without the weighty casing and touch screen – mine weighs in a 315g and should be good for 4+ hours on 75% power (1200 lumens). The proof of this will be if I make it round Torq in Your Sleep.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

This looks very interesting – thanks to all who have posted so far. One review on the DX site refers to the MJ-856 which I’ve found on eBay but can’t see much of a difference in specs. I think the reviewer was saying that the MJ-872 has a huge flood; which from the beam shots up there ^^ would seem about right! They reckoned this had more of a focus to it? Not sure – but any thoughts before I put my hand in my pocket…?

Oh, also – the DX MJ-872 seems to have a textured lens, whereas the Magicshine on eBay and the photos above all have a clear. Any ideas?

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

gonetothehills – sorry I cant really help you. I see that some mj-872s of ebay have diffuser type lenses. Mine doesnt despite the same model name. Perhaps the manufacturer changed the design since it was launched or something but that is just a total guess.

I noticed that the link I posted above is now sold out but he has a new listing with the same thing and more detailed photos / desc.

Shepdon
    Free Member

Hi does anybody know if the 4xXPG lamp could be used with a lumicycle 14.8 battery pack as I have found someone on eBay selling the 4xXPG lamp on their own for £65. I already have a set of halogen lumicycles and was wondering if I could get away with just upgrading the lights. Thanks

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

Mine arrived this morning from the UK ebayer, quality looks good and it looks bright waving it around the house!!, will have to do a night ride to let you know the full report.

On another note the ebay selling gave me his mobile number in the confirmation of order email which was nice, I have just left him a message saying that I am missing the two rubber mounting rings for the head unit, so see what happens next.
    I can manage i think with the race blade mudguard rubber mounting thingys for the time being instead.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Well thankfully someone bought one after me typing up all that. Hope it works well for you.

I’m still blatting around in the dark scaring the moths and deers!

14.8 battery pack

Apologies. I’ve just noticed your question. No. That wont work. It uses a 7.4v pack.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Just saving my pennies for an MJ-872, couldashouldawoulda – really appreciate your initial headsup, thanks. Keep us posted please! 🙂

h4muf
    Free Member

I bought one on your recommendation…Awesome light!

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

h4muf – cheers!

robsoctane
    Free Member

cheers to the OP – bought!
    At last a great value light.
    Imagine what may be available when we’re all a few years older! Technology speeds along faster than most of us!!! 😯

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

Tested mine the other night. Super and very bright, first time ever i had bats dive bombing into the spread of light for insects. I was humming the tune to batman half way round the ride, lasted at least 2 hrs on full power, highly recomended.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Another DX light option – a mini review and beamshots’ is closed to new replies.