Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Bike Light
  • Luminous
    Free Member

Right, here, starting my own thread…, I just thought I'd update any one who's interested, with my progress on building my bike light.

This light will use the XP-G LED along with a programmable constant current driver. This is an early housing, I may have a more refined one made up, incorporating more robust features. My goal is to build a bright, robust light, as small and as powerful as I know how.
    Like others, I am awaiting the release of the XP-G LED.
    The light is QR, using a low cost and widely available bar clamp which will fit both standard and OS bars.

So then, heres another light which will be using some of the latest LEDs around and I'm hopng for around 1900+ lumens at full power.

Luminous.

montylikesbeer

Looks very good, its got a good "industrial" look about it, I like it

skiprat
    Free Member

Looks good mate. Be interested to see how well it lights up the trail.

Good work and good luck with it. Keep us posted

Luminous
    Free Member

Cheers guys

🙂

Luminous
    Free Member

Cheers guys

🙂

L.

montylikesbeer

Mind you that stem looks a little looooooooooong

snaps
    Free Member

When are the XPGs being shipped?

Luminous
    Free Member

Yeah, I'm 6' 1" and its a large frame. Back in 05, longer stems seemed to be ok, but now I have noticed people going for shorter ones.

If I had my time again, I'd go for the XL frame and shorter stem.

L.

Luminous
    Free Member

Snaps.

I've not had a date from Mark, but the website says 25th September. They've got a fair distance to travel too, so October seems like the month where things should start getting brighter.

L.

z1ppy

s'not as nice as Troutie's…. 😈

only joking, looks good. 😀

njee20
    Free Member

6'1" and you'd go XL? Really?

Light looks good!

Luminous
    Free Member

Z1ppy.

Thank you. The spec is similar to Trout's light. I've been wanting to make a real light for ages.

For years I've been cutting torches up, with some reasonable results.

But things moving on as they do, now bespoke housings are required.

I've got more spare time now, so here I am putting some effort into using the latest LEDs, something I think the big-boys can't so as easily due to stocking, etc.

Trouts light is great, he's come up with a great Idea, I call it the AirFlow system. Having those cooling fins aligned with the flow of air over the light is a nice touch. However, thats his design and hes worked hard to bring it to where it is now.

I wanted to do something different. Just so happens that using this XP-G LED, we'll both be enjoying similar levels of lumens.

Ta

L.

Luminous
    Free Member

njee20.

I think I could handle a slightly faster steering set-up.

Anyway, I aint changing, I like my bike, and it stays as it is.

Yeah, this light, I'd never have thought I'd spend so much time on this project. CAD, finding and meeting suppliers, sorting the BOM and material Specs, arranging purchase and delivery of components. Theres alot going into this.

Still, when the phones stop ringing and the sun goes down, then I switch my light on and it'll be worth it.

Cheers.

L.

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

Looks good.

Any "ball park" prices Luminous, also pries for complete kit ie battery(pouch) and charger.

Cheers

Luminous
    Free Member

KKF.

Thanks. I'm undecided about sales at this time, but the price would likely be around the £190 mark for the head unit, inc bar clamp, etc. however, I'm waiting for prices of the housing, so the figure is a guide really.

I'm planning a super-spec version too, which would utilise mill-spec parts.

I've used batteries from Smudge in the past, so I'd hope to do so again, but I'm having trouble contacting him at the mo. Guess he's busy, this would be the time of year when his inbox probably gets busy.

🙂

L.

tinsy
    Free Member

05 S works, self build lights, dual control levers, wasnt you Solo the morning and rideswithscissors a month or so ago? why so many different names??

Luminous
    Free Member

Tinsy.

Err, thanks for checking my thread. Not sure what you're prattling on about though.

Cheers

L.

tinsy
    Free Member

You seem familiar thats all…

If your not who I think you are my sincere appologies. And if you are, good luck in your new venture.

Luminous
    Free Member

Tinsy.

No worries.

Venture ?, not sure, just getting something out of my system, the need to build a light.

🙂

L.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Bike Light’ is closed to new replies.