Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Bike GPS?
  • rob-jackson
    Free Member

Looking at the Bryton, Garmin 200, Edge 305 with HRM.
    Got £100 at most to spend.

What is recommended at that budget?

Want it to track rides (not navigate) – would love cadence and HRM but appreciate this is moon on a stick!

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Want it to track rides

I assume you don’t have or don’t want to use a Smartphone, which is a shame ‘cos they’ll track your ride with no end of inexpensive apps.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

I know that but do not want this on the bars as it is susceptible to damage and looks fookin stupid 🙂

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    soobalias
    Free Member

ive got a Forerunner 405 (cx?) which is great as a gps but the battery just doesnt last if i go out for a full day – 4-5hrs from fully charged which is fine for running, but not great on the bike.

ive used my HTC wildfire s and the GPS is rubbish*, the route it tracks all over the place, the altitude is awful and the battery is killed quicker than my Garmin – leaving me with partially tracked routes and no phone, great.

*fine as a car gps/mapping tool

love the garmin, not much to choose between the 200 and 305 imo.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Hence why i am looking at the above three options 😉

soobalias
    Free Member

what you want is a mid range full susser.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

pmsl

blades2000
    Free Member

If all you want to do is track rides another option might be the Forerunner 110, doesn’t do cadence but does do heart rate.
    There is a thread on STW about the 200 and from memory it doesn’t get the best reviews.

crush83
    Free Member

garmin Foretrex 101

jam-bo

edge 200 is great. dead simple, reliable and pretty cheap if you got the cashback etc. I paid about £70 all in for mine.

two mounts in the pack as well so one on the MTB and one on the road bike.

labsey
    Free Member

If you want to track rides, stick RunKeeper on your phone, it’s free and you can look at speed/pace/elevation and stuff online. It also gives you updates as you go and I think can link to heartrate monitors.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

rob jackson – Member
    I know that but do not want this on the bars as it is susceptible to damage and looks fookin stupid

soobalias
    Free Member

how does the battery do in real life jambo

bit disheartened with my 405s performance, garmin site reckons 8hrs in use.

which makes me a little sceptical about the claims on the edge 200/305

thedon
    Free Member

I know that but do not want this on the bars as it is susceptible to damage and looks fookin stupid

You don’t need it on your bars if you only want it for tracking rides.

devoninbred
    Free Member

I have had the 305 for 18 months now and I love it, I spent the extra for the speed and cadence sensor although any +ANT speed/cadence sensor will work too, to be honest well worth the extra over the 200

legend
    Free Member

Not a Edge 200. Sent my first one back as it was crap, might be about to do the same with my 2nd. In a direct comparison with Mrs Legend’s Forerunner 110 the tracks were night n day. The Forerunner nicely traced a line where you expect to be whereas the Edge seemed to sample at random and occasionaly break the rules of physics.

Disappointed

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

The edge 200 doesnt do cadence or HR, you’ll need at least an old edge 305 or new 500 for that.

£16 for a GPS logger though, mines zip-tied to the zips on my camelpack. Logs the position every second, seems accurate (google earth mainly sits on the left hand side of the road so that’s pretty good). Battery is good for a whole weekends riding (about 10 hours) and it’ll log about 7 times that before running out of memory.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/navin-minihomer-mini-review-16-gps-and-strava-content

I’m actualy finding it more enjoyable not having a computer on the bars (I still use a HRM though).

Only downside is I did use the HRM log on my edge to teach myself paceing as it’s easy to spot trends and see that speed drpped off massibely ont he 2nd half of a ride if the first half was done at 170bpm, but the average was quicker if i took it wasy on hills and kept it under 165 for example.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

want to see my speed etc on the bars

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

want to see my speed etc on the bars

£16 GPS and £5 cycle computer then :p

legend
    Free Member

If anyone’s interested I’ll try and show a Forerunner – Edge comparison when I’m home

will
    Free Member

Edge 200 user here, was previously using an iPhone.

Like the Edge very much, simple displays the information clearly, it’s accurate, looks nice, has a good battery, and for £63 (I got an extra 10% off) you can’t really go wrong!

Strange that some people are having issues though.

legend
    Free Member

On the left is the trace from a Forerunner 110, on the right is the trace from my Edge 200. Both traces done at the same time. Forerunner was wrist mounted, Edge was on the bars. Take your pick

Edge_v_Forerunner by mark_penman, on Flickr

jam-bo

Soobalias – it’s done a 8.5 hr continous stint with plenty left so seems good

DickBarton

My smartphone has done 6hrs of tracking and about 4 of those hours with Bluetooth HRM on. Nothing else i.e. wifi, data and brightness turned down. Took about 60% battery but still lasted the day. Doesn’t do cadence though.

Samsung galaxy s2 with Oruxmaps and a sports tracker Bluetooth HRM.

In flight mode it would use even less battery. Oruxmaps seems to track very accurately.

cchris2lou

you can change your settings on your Garmin to record less points ( every 10 seconds instead of 1 seconds ) . The battery will last a lot longer .

I have a 305 forerunner and loves it . I bought the bar mount for the bike .

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

I have 2 forerunner 305’s that do what you describe. I miss them when they break down(both after about 2 years use). They are however diy fixable.

Currently available £101 refurb here incl hrm. Also cadence available for about £30.

http://www.handtec.co.uk/product.php/1384/garmin-forerunner-305-hr—noh

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Bike GPS?’ is closed to new replies.