Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Bike configured for automatic gear shifting…
  • brooess
    Free Member

Good or bad?
    I can see some situations where an automatic gear box would be very helpful e.g. dips where you need to go from top of block to bottom very quickly…

But gear choice is also part of the skill of riding so feels like it takes something away…

Bike configured for automatic gear shifting

tinybits
    Free Member

It’s one of those, not great for MTB’ing, but very good for the general, get on and pedal bike market.

Actually, I want one to wind up the SS’ers

mattjg
    Free Member

I doubt anyone on here would ever use it but could well help get more people on bikes, or help some people use their bikes more … so why not? It’s for shopping/short commutes I guess.

bencooper
    Free Member

I’ve tried a number of different automatic gearing systems, some good some awful.

The main problem I’ve found with most of them is that they treat the human body like an engine, and try to keep it in a certain rev range. Which is fine in theory, but it’s nice to have a rest. If you climb a steep hill, you usually let off a bit when you get to the top – the automatic systems immediately jump up the gears.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I can see their point, I built the missus bike up 1×8 as she couldn’t deal with the front shifter as well as the back. But it’s surely one of thoise things you learn fairly quickly how to do, then it’s mostly subconcious, not something I’d pay ~$600 to avoid having to do.

wwaswas

what bencooper said – they tend to try and keep the ‘engine’ (you) at a constant torque output and that’s not how most people ride.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

what bencooper said – they tend to try and keep the ‘engine’ (you) at a constant torque output and that’s not how most people ride.

Yea, but think how good the next generation of time trialists will be!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Bike configured for automatic gear shifting…’ is closed to new replies.