• This topic has 51 replies, 41 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Jamie.
Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • Bike cleaning products
  • LoCo
    Free Member

Rhino goo followed by rhino shine or cheap car shampoo as always avoid suspension components with cleaning products

iainc

As Jameso, although I use a warm water hose on the sprinkle/rose setting so same pressure as rain ! Usually aided by a quick spray of mucoff but not left to penetrate.

Use a park chain cleaner with mucoff in it, 20 backwards revs, top up with water, another 20, rinse, dry, lube. I use gt85 on drivetrain and bolts, silicon spray on shifters and brake levers, fork juice on forks and reverb. A few hrs later (bike lives in dry inside) apply chain lube of choice.

Jamie
    Free Member

Best thing for the keeping the drivetrain clean is to take care what you put on it in the first place.

I use Finishline wet all year round, mainly as I have a bloody drawer full of the stuff, and the weather is so wet these days. But it does make the whole drivetrain a bit of a black gooey mess.

….for when it’s a bit dryer, what would be good ‘proactively cleaning’ product for the drivetrain?

Oh, and also use hot water in a bucket with a brush. It is hard to fight the temptation to hose everything off at high pressure to get the job done quicker, tho. Probably why I very rarely clean my bike and just knock the dry mud off.

iainc

..for when it’s a bit dryer, what would be good ‘proactively cleaning’ product for the drivetrain?

I find a proper clean and then switch from ‘winter lube’ to ‘summer lube’, which for me is Squirt, works a treat as squirt doesn’t really pick up dirt and just kinda flakes off. Decent relube before most rides and its ok in the wet for an hr or 2 without reapplying too.

jools182
    Free Member

I don’t know what I am doing wrong but every bike I’ve had starts to get a matt finish after a while

It’s like something damages the laquer

I’ve tried brushes, sponges, different car shampoos and bike specific cleaners too

I hose off the bike before I wash it too

jameso

good ‘proactively cleaning’ product for the drivetrain?

Of all the wax lubes I’ve used Finish Line Teflon Dry seems to lube for longest before the chain goes dry and rattly, chain has to be 100% de-greased + dry before first application tho. I take a small bottle on multi-day rides where I can’t clean the drivetrain and need something that will go on and leave a clean chain when worn off. Not great in the wet but not as bad as some other wax-based lubes.

marco
    Free Member
    Jamie
    Free Member

chain has to be 100% de-greased

Any tips for a cheap and cheerful degreaser? Something like the post above mine?

iainc

Jamie – neat Fenwicks or halfords citrus work for me

Jamie
    Free Member

Jamie – neat Fenwicks or halfords citrus work for me

Bosh! 1l of Fenwicks concentrate ordered.

…and a Ritchey Torque key to put my order over £20 on Evans, so I could use a £5 off voucher. I guess this is why i am not an economist, spending an extra £16 to get a fiver off. 8)

nevermind
    Free Member

white spirit for chain & cogs, fairy liquid & hot water for everything else. wipe down with wet wipes for the bits you missed, spray with gt85 to disperse water, lube chain etc with oil of your choice.

repeat after every off road ride or couple of weeks for road.

Jamie
    Free Member

That’s the chain cleaner sorted.

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Bike cleaning products’ is closed to new replies.