Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Bike bags?
  • Trekster

So much choice!
    What do you have/recommend in the budget bracket?

Liking the look of this

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

I have one of these:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=7273

and it has been brilliant after 8 years it’s worn a little bit on the bottom where airport workers have dragged it across the tarmac. Be careful though as Mr MC bought a DHB and it is considerably bigger and more iritating. He sold that and about a Merlin bag which was considerably smaller than the Planet X one and had far less padding, which has subequently become “my” bike bag as I have a smaller bike. So beware that despite them all looking the same the dimensions do vary a lot!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Just remember that with soft ones, you still have to wrap the shit out of everything (if you’re worried). Although, with hindsight, I’d have just bought a big roll of bubblewrap and rolled the whole bloody thing instead of messing around with pipe lagging.

Northwind

That’s the exact one I’ve got… Seems good, wee bit floppy though. I tried lining it with a cardboard bike box for strength (Apollo, the bike box of champions) but that made it too heavy for the airline I was using. Highly annoying. Then again, the same would have been true of a hard case.

When do you need it? You’d be welcome to a loan of mine, I’ll not be using it again til the middle of the year. Though, no idea when I’ll be down your way again…

Oh, and Pak’r (or similiar) packaging materials are the way to go- the stuff that’s like enormous bubble wrap. Much tougher than bubble wrap, light, and takes up space really well.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

I had a hard case and after 15 flights it began to get damaged and a few cracks. The other I have is one of the usual soft slightly padded one. As has been said, the soft ones need you to pad your bike a bit whilst a hard case doesn’t. If I was going to get a new one I would buy an Evoc one. Saw a few used by the pro guys in trans Provence and they looked somewhere inbetween a hard and soft case. Looked perfect.

AngusWells

I have got 2 from Ground Effect; the basic one (Body Bag) I use mainly for putting the bike in the car when it’s dirty and the other (Tardis) for travelling. Having said that, we have used both for taking bikes on holiday by plane without any problems. The Tardis is a better bet on the train, especially as it is within the permitted Eurostar and TGV dimensions to be considered luggage and not a bike. http://www.groundeffect.co.nz/products-BAG.htm

However, there is a very close alternative to both from Whitstable if you would rather buy British http://www.duffbag.com/products/bike-bags

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Decathlon do a good budget bag – I got mine for about £20 when it was in a half price sale.

zilog6128

However, there is a very close alternative to both from Whitstable If you would rather buy British http://www.duffbag.com/products/bike-bags

No way! I work in Whitstable. I had no idea they were based here. Do you know where their workshop is? The website only lists their registered office address (in London).

AngusWells

I only know from talking to them at the Bike Show (the one at the Boat Show) last year. Somehow we got on to the subject because my wife’s from Whitstable. You would have thought Herbert’s would stock them wouldn’t you.

unsponsored
    Free Member

I have a planet X and DHB one up for sale.

zilog6128

You would have thought Herbert’s would stock them wouldn’t you.

A quick google suggests they mainly sell direct from their website so perhaps they don’t want any distributors. Locally made products are Whitstable’s bread-and-butter though so yeah, I would’ve thought Herberts would be able to shift loads of Duffbags.

Trekster

Northwind

When do you need it? You’d be welcome to a loan of mine, I’ll not be using it again til the middle of the year. Though, no idea when I’ll be down your way again…

July 6th. Happy to collect 😉

Oh, and Pak’r (or similiar) packaging materials are the way to go- the stuff that’s like enormous bubble wrap. Much tougher than bubble wrap, light, and takes up space really well.

Got ample supplies of packaging at work 🙂

M-C;

He sold that and about a Merlin bag which was considerably smaller than the Planet X one and had far less padding, which has subequently become “my” bike bag as I have a smaller bike. So beware that despite them all looking the same the dimensions do vary a lot!

Got a big Kona Dawg to fit into it so that is some good advice. Ta

Trekster

unsponsored – Member
    I have a planet X and DHB one up for sale.

YGM

Northwind

OK, I think that works… We’ve not booked dates yet but if I understand it right it’s either early june or mid august we’re planning to go so July ought to be fine. But can’t really confirm yet…

Duffman
    Free Member

Thanks for mentioning our duffbag bike bags. We do indeed live and ride in the Whitstable area, although the workshop is in Hants – complicated I know.

Currently we sell direct only as we do not mass produce the bike bags, they may be available in a select few bike shops in the future.

We have three sizes;

Stealth – complies with Eurostar luggage requirements so can take bike as hand luggage

Race – xc race bike

Monster – Burly mountain bike

If you want to ask more questions either post on here or my email is in profile

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Plasma TV box coated in PVA. Much better protection, fits a DH bike, lighter than a bag.

blurltrider
    Free Member

If I was going to get a new one I would buy an Evoc one. Saw a few used by the pro guys in trans Provence and they looked somewhere inbetween a hard and soft case. Looked perfect.

And a couple of non pro riders found it pretty perfect!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Bike bags?’ is closed to new replies.