• This topic has 13 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by aP.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • biggish packs for commuting and adventuring
  • el_boufador

My old bag (an old battered Deuter – transalp I think) got nicked so I’m on the look for a new one.

What’s good out there at the moment?

Looking for something around the 25/30L mark, compressible down when I don’t need all the space. Also after something stable/comfortable when fully loaded. Also a hydration pocket would be v. useful!

To be honest the only thing I didn’t like about the old Deuter was that it was a bit heavy. Is there anything else better out there?

crftom
    Free Member

might be a bit smaller than you were looking for but the Evoc bags are great

flyingmm

Using a vaude 30+5 and it fits my 15″ laptop/ lunch/ change of clothes + well thought out design for access top and bottom. Perfect for commuting and has compression straps/ zips. Not going to win any awards for style though!

justatheory
    Free Member

I’ve used Osprey, Deuter, Vaude and Lowe Alpine for commuting/hiking and find the Osprey to be the most comfortable. It’s a case of try them on and see what fits you best though.

doug_basqueMTB.com

I’m using an Osprey Escapist 25 and it’s the most comfortable pack I’ve used. Stays put on the back and the straps are really well designed for comfort and adjustability. Very much recommended!

Osprey Escapist 25 Review

theblackmount
    Free Member

Stock answer from me. Inov8

Baldysquirt

Just bought an Escapist 25. I have a Talon 11 which is fantastic but the escapist, on first impressions, looks an even better pack and is obviously better sized for your requirements.

wl
    Free Member

Pretty sure The Great Outdoors magazine is giving away a free 25l Vaude backpack to anyone who subscribes at the moment.

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

I have to say, I really love my Osprey Talon 22. Get’s used more as a commuting pack on the bike, and then as a day sack for walking. Fits, just so well. I had it stuffed with gear for a 10 mile commute on the road bike, and it was great, very stable.

The only downside is, as it’s a lightweight pack, it’s not very sturdily built. I feel one good crash, and it would be ripped to shred. Bit pricey too.

Osprey Talon 22 Pack

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

I have to say, I really love my Osprey Talon 22. Get’s used more as a commuting pack on the bike, and then as a day sack for walking. Fits, just so well. I had it stuffed with gear for a 10 mile commute on the road bike, and it was great, very stable.

The only downside is, as it’s a lightweight pack, it’s not very sturdily built. I feel one good crash, and it would be ripped to shred. Bit pricey too.

+1. Excellent pack with lots of good features including a huge bladder compartment. Very good compression system which pulls up as well as in. I’ve had plenty of off’s with mine on over the last 3 years and there’s not a mark on it

el_boufador

Thanks for suggestions all – Escapist looks good and I’ll check out the Outdoors subscription!

Dibbs
    Free Member

Camelback Octane 8.

el_boufador

Hmmm – Innov8 stuff looks very good value…might give them a go

aP
    Free Member

OMM lightweight bags last me about 6 or 7 years before the lining starts coming off. They’re pretty good for cycling – in currently using an old Kimm 25 for commuting.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘biggish packs for commuting and adventuring’ is closed to new replies.