Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • 'The Castle' R4 at the moment
  • eviljoe
    Free Member

It’s complete B@@L@CKS .

Tired obvious jokes wrapped up in a quasi humorous medieval quagmire of anachronism. It wasn’t funny in the 1st series, and it still isn’t blinkin funny – was it writen by R4 controller’s teenage son in his GCSE class?

Actually almost all R4 comedy seems rubbish at the moment. Come back ‘Old Harry’s game’, Bleak Expectations’ et al. Iwould have though that in a time of recession the budget for comedy would be increased, not slashed…

PLEASE someone recommend me something funny to listen to- because ‘The Castle’ , ‘Count Arthur Stom’ and ‘The Horne Section’ certainly ain’t cutting the mustard.

Grrr. Rant over.

souldrummer
    Free Member

I heard it last week for the first time. It made no sense at all and certainly wasn’t funny.

GrahamS

Yep utter rubbish.

You can only do the “referencing something modern in a middle ages setting” gag so many times.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Agreed. Hardly a purple patch for R4 comedy at the moment. Only Ed Reardon as a glimmering beacon of mirth.

OHG and Bleak Expectations are/were utterly classic comedy.

HARRUMBLE

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Listening now – not even cracked a smile – the best bit are the musical stings.

Where is “Clare in the Community” when you need her?

eviljoe
    Free Member

And all of the above were only on air about a year ago, that’s what I don’t understand. Has R4 had a new programmer recently? Perhaps someone who has a vague idea what humour is supposed to be, but has only really heard about it second hand?

grum
    Free Member

The News Quiz is alright, the Now Show is bearable. Those are about the not funny things I’ve heard on R4.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Well, you know, it was like really important to the people here that she took part in a three day diversity workshop, you know? So she’s not here.

grum
    Free Member

The News Quiz is alright, the Now Show is bearable. Those are about the not funny things I’ve heard on R4.

Pigface
    Free Member

10 o clock on 4 extra is where you need to be.

Count Arthur is utter dross just dont get it so it could just be me.

geoffj

LOL @ CFH

eviljoe
    Free Member

I think I may be getting my middle age grump on slightly early in life, but you used to be guaranteed a good laugh just turning on the radio at 6.30, now it’s only frustrating.

And while I’m ranting, why do we still have ‘Just a Minute’ ? It’s never been as good as ‘I’m sorry I haven’t a clue’. Is it just to keep the Giles Brandrith fanclub off the streets for at least one night a week?

I shall write to my MP I tell you.

geoffj

Some good afternoon plays on at the moment.
    Lilo which was on last week was particularly good.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Biscuit, geoffj?

😉

RustySpanner

The Castle is and has always been weak.

Count Arthur, however, is a genius, and I’ll bite, er, I mean file, I MEAN FIGHT any one who says otherwise. Yes, if your at the bar then, go on….

Ed Reardon is as wonderful as usual, but I’m a little upset that the actor that usually plays Elgar has been replaced. Do they not think we’ll notice? Who the hell are these ‘BBC Comedy Controllers’?
    The writing is nowhere near as good as say, Tenko, anyway.

The News Quiz is tired, smug and predictable and even I as an old romantic leftie find the Now Show smug amd patronising in the extreme.

The Party, that awful thing about a bunch of halfwits attempting to start their own version of the Lib Dems was dire. Badly written & weak characters (go on, name one).

A Short Gentleman (11.30am slot) was excellent, but only a return of the utterly brilliant Fags, Mags and Bags can redeem R4 comedy.

Just a Minute is wonderful, btw.

wwaswas

Living it up over on Radio4 Extra with a lot of the other good comedy from decades gone by.

I just saw a tweet from Graeme Garden that Humphrey Littleton died 4 years ago today.

chiefgrooveguru

Count Arthur Strong is a comic genius but the recent series have been below par. Series 2, 1 and 3 (in that order) are the funniest things I’ve ever heard on the radio. His turn on Just A Minute is excellent: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsnMx94xMyk&feature=youtube_gdata_player

eviljoe
    Free Member

Bring back ‘Fags Mags and Bags!’Makes me wistfully remember Great Western Road in Glasgow. It’s funny because it’s REAL.

The writing is nowhere near as good as say, Tenko, anyway.

Nice one 😀 I get my laugh out loud moment tonight after all.

Yes RIP Humph. Comedy Genius.

unklehomered
    Free Member

hmmm, yes tis weak. My fave at the moment is the Unbelievable Truth, which i think could stand the test of time like JAM due to the potential to argue over the rules.

crazy-legs

Bring back I’m Sorry I Haven’t A Clue with Jack Dee, it must be time for a new series of that. R4 comedy is rubbish at the moment, I agree about The Castle.

Although I quite liked the various episodes of The Party that I heard, there were some genuinely funny moments in amongst the dross.

unklehomered
    Free Member

I miss the days of Old Harry’s Game, and Absolute Power.

binners

The unbelievable truth is genius!!! I reckon it’ll be one of those that becomes an institution, and you’ll still be laughing like a drain at it in twenty years

grum
    Free Member

The News Quiz is tired, smug and predictable

Sounds just like me, must be why I quite like it.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Simple answer, R4 Extra, its just wonderful – with I player too, its even better!

from yesterday: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b009kmns/The_Goon_Show_The_Flea/

8)

GrahamS

And while I’m ranting, why do we still have ‘Just a Minute’ ?

Don’t diss the JAM! That (occasionally) still has me crying with laughter.

The unbelievable truth is genius!!!

Yeah like that too. Most of the “amusing panel game” is pretty decent and funny.
    It’s the “sitcom” stuff that has really gone off the boil for me.

Bring back ‘Fags Mags and Bags!’Makes me wistfully remember Great Western Road in Glasgow. It’s funny because it’s REAL.

Really? Just feels like a bad “Still Game” spin-off with all the humour removed to me.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Cabin Pressure back on R4 this evening – excellent service resumed. 😀

IanMunro
    Free Member

I can see the lemon you’ve tried to hide there……………………………… ^ 😀

bravohotel8er
    Free Member

I wish that The Tao of Bergerac would get another outing, that was great!

user-removed
    Free Member

+1 for Radio4 Extra – they had reruns of loads of Steptoe episodes last week which were brilliant!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Clapham Common. The hard way.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Aye the one today was funny but the comedy slot has been weak for a few years. The old stuff still works IMHO and I like the unbelievable truth [ probably end up on telly] but I am not a fan of ed reardon nor the count [ best resist there].

I cant name anyone in the party and i have tried hard…tbh I was struggling with how many there were let alone names [ 2 blokes , 2 women- was there a couple in there as well?]

eviljoe
    Free Member

Sketchorama

THIS IS TRULY AWFUL.

Please make it stop…

Pigface
    Free Member

Yep switched it off, just shockingly bad,

Last night saw the return of Sorry I haven’t a clue 😀 the round where you had to drop a letter from song titles was brilliant

cynic-al
    Free Member

No mention of Just a Minute, that truly is everything that is bad about R4

Cougar

It’s not often you’re right, but you’re wrong this time.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Mutual-back-slapping-****-fest.

You have irrefutably proved my point 😀

TheFopster
    Free Member

Fair enough from the OP with exception of the inimitable Count who reduces me to tears of laughter every time. Genius on a par with Ed Reardon. Agree the rest is dross though…

eviljoe
    Free Member

Yes thank god for I’m sorry I haven’t a Clue.

I just wonder who they play these things to before they put them on air? I do suspect it is a panel of aspiring comics with loud shirts and ‘interesting’ glasses who want to support their mates, when it should be a smoky room full of miners . School of hard knocks etc etc

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘'The Castle' R4 at the moment’ is closed to new replies.