Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Big old beemers, worth keeping or scrapping?
  • Malvern Rider
    Free Member

I have a ’99 5 series touring, 180K, been SORN standing for 10 months (don’t ask) and battery died, but after a charge it still sounds sweet as a nut, started first time. think it just needs a tyre for MOT – is it worth selling and buying something else or doing up for the summer? Advertised it last year but do people even buy big old cars anymore? decisions…

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

I think they’re awesome!

Run a 99 3 series. But would prefer a 5. If it takes nothing much for the mot then no reason not to. 50-100 quid through and you should see more than you would for scrap.

Where are you based? I’d be tempted 😉

scaled
    Free Member

People tend not to buy big ‘ol cars like they used to but if you already own it and need a car then it’ll be worth more to you than it is to anyone else.

You’ve taken absolutely all the depreciation hit that you ever will on it!

I’m still rocking a 2000 Toyota Avensis estate with 140k on the clock that I got for free about 6 years ago. If it starts to turn in to a money pit then sack it off.

peterfile
    Free Member

A quick look on Autotrader reveals that there are quite a few 1999 era 5 series touring for sale (doesn’t mean people are buying them though I suppose)

Seem to range from £500 to £1500

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

If the rust hasn’t got it then yes, absolutely. It’s hard to find anything so nice to drive for the same money, I miss my ’03 530d.

hora
    Free Member

Have a good look round it- put it straight through its MOT. Then whatever it fails on decide what to do. Personally if it was <£300 to put it through I’d do it.

Never go off ‘whats it worth to sell’. What you advertise for isn’t what you get plus a car can be worth much more to you/use by you than what you’d get in a sale. Same principle with a mountain bike. My rear XTR mech is 12yrs old- its worth 1p. To me its priceless because it works and rocks are scared of it.

thomthumb
    Free Member

I’m biased as i’ve just bought a 02 5 series touring.

been SORN standing for 10 months

well it’s not worth keeping. sell it or scrap it but don’t keep it.

you might find the wheels and engine will sell it for more than scrap.

mccraque

I’ve got a 325 ’01 Touring.

I love driving it…but….It’s the biggest pig of a car I ever owned. Utter money pit. In the last year – 2 new electric window motors, boot glass switch (kept inexpicably popping the glass open and draining the battery), new radiator, new clutch kit, leak in driver footwell, hedgehog resistor replaced.

Now some munt has keyed it too.

wwaswas

hedgehog resistor

I have no idea what this is but I want one too.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Indeed – if I ever have call for someone to resist hedgehogs in future I’ll know where to go.

Book-marked.

Del

🙂
    Fan speed resistor network I’d guess.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

mixed opinions then, no rust except for old spot in inside rear hatch. thomthumb would appreciate any insight why not a keeper in your opinion? cheers

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

forgot to say in 3 years since having it mots have just been tyres except for initial brakeline rebuild which cost me 500 quid , so a bit invested, I just took a year off from car use

peterfile
    Free Member

thomthumb would appreciate any insight why not a keeper in your opinion?

I suspect he meant because you’ve not felt the desire to use it in 10 months.

It’s like those old jeans you never wear but just can’t bear to throw away. They just languish in the bottom drawer.

chewkw
    Free Member

You should post a pic of it here.

Yes, I like some of the old beemers but cannot afford one at the moment.

z1ppy

+1 to the picture, along with one of mccraque’s “hedgehog resistor” 😯

iBaa
    Free Member

2002 E46 330d Touring. 160k and no major mechanical issues other than a prop coupling and the rear brake pipe corroding.

Still drives very well and i plan to keep it for another 7 years.

thomthumb
    Free Member

I suspect he meant because you’ve not felt the desire to use it in 10 months.

Exactly that.

I guess its not going to depreciate much so might be worth keeping as a spare. Are you using another car?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Big old beemers, worth keeping or scrapping?’ is closed to new replies.