Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Bib shorts over tights Question?
  • foxyrider
    Free Member

Sorry bit of road content.

I have seen loads of roadies (I class myself as an inbetweener) wearing shorts over tights in the winter and having cycled in the cold I can understand why.

So what is the configuration – normal tights with bib Shorts over or 2 lots of bibs? Also the tights are with pad but what about the shorts?

Many thanks 🙂

elzorillo
    Free Member

I wear baggy shorts over tights in winter (and sometimes in summer, but I pull them up to just below the knee for the sake of fashion).

Edit: oops.. I mean on’t MTB

druidh
    Free Member

I find that two pads is really uncomfortable.

Shorts over tights is handy if you have a club outfit as it saves buying matching tights.

warton
    Free Member

I would say tights would be padless and bibless, but I may be wrong. I’ve never done it. winter tights for when its very cold, 3/4 for normal cold, shorts for everything else

mrmo
    Free Member

Are you sure out is tights and not leg warmers? Shorts over tights strikes me as stupid. It basically renders half the point of a pad redundant.

crikey
    Free Member

Bibshorts first, then padless tights over the top. If you are seeing bibshorts with something under, that something is legwarmers.

Unless they are proper Eddies…

MSP

I have seen it quite a lot too, think its just fashion to do it that way round, I tried it and it really didn’t work for me the padless tights just bunched up uncomfortably under my shorts. Other way round works though.

Thing is if you have some decent shorts (assos etc) with a really comfortable pad, and don”t want to splash out on some even more expensive equivalent winter tights, then just wearing some basic thermal tights over your shorts works well.

boxelder

what mrmo said.
    If you saw me, you’d think I had 3/4’s over tights, but it’s just leg warmers – great ones from Ground Effect.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Padded bibshorts underneath with unpadded tights over the top, or legwarmers underneath with bib shorts over the top. Anything else is a bit odd*

* To non cyclists it’s all odd.

jonba
    Free Member

As above sounds like shorts and leg warmers. I don’t find this anywhere near as comfy as shorts and tights.

I wear normal bib shorts with unpadded tights over the top. Mine are bib but it is not essential. I wear the same mountainbiking too if it’s really cold. I couldn’t be doing with bibs tights and baggies for mountainbiking so it 3/4 bibs and baggies or shorts and tights. I’ve found 3/4 bibs and rohills a good mix if you just want cheap mtb clothing.

MarkyG82

Dont own any tights. A pair of bib shorts with non bibs over the top for when its cold. Bibs on their own to keep the wind out. Non bibs for everything else. Always with baggies over the top and getting some leg warmers soon for the mega cold days.

Ont mtb I sometimes wear fox shin guards if on a slow techy ride to keep the cold out too.

Metasequoia

You are definately looking at riders with leg warmers under bib shorts! I notice that rapha do thermal bib shorts for use with the thicker leg warmers. I use leg warmers right into April, very versatile and comfortable once you are used to them gripping your legs.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Ahh OK – cool 🙂 Thats cleared that up for me 🙂

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Bib shorts over tights Question?’ is closed to new replies.