Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • BFE or an On One 456C….?
  • marts500
    Free Member

Have enough spare components to build up another bike for commuting and general carefree thrashing about on …which frame would bring more smiles…?

hora
    Free Member

About 1.5lb difference? C456 is c4.5lb for a 18″

marts500
    Free Member

I’m just thinkin’ durability really.Stress cracks paint flakes and rust etc…

Euro
    Free Member

Is carbon a carefree thrashing about material?

On the plus side, it’s less likely to get nicked 😀

argoose
    Free Member

I hve the c456 as my main bike, and love it.
    Also have inbred as second/hack bike ( £99 sale frame, who wouldn’t)
    If you want the 456/BFE geo. How bout 456 evo,non-cabon worries and V.F.M

argoose
    Free Member

@EURO
    You tube cabon v steel frames.
    Got carbon beechcaster been using for 8 years. Been blown over many times in gales, bends almost in half casting 6oz weight +bait no issues at all.
    Had my c456 just over a year and still happy. Done all the S. Wales trail centers + CYB and Beacons would recommend without reservation.

variflex
    Free Member

Had the same dilema just over a year ago.
    I went down the non painted C456 route, and dont regret it.
    Out of all my bikes, its the most chuckable and agile.
    Ive had some big crashes on it and taken some hard drops at speed.
    Frame has coped with everything and is nice and light.

Perfect for what I use it for, mainly trails and run a 140mm fork.

hora
    Free Member

Loved my c456. Hated the heavy lump feel of the 456. Horrid. C456 was great compared. Longevity? The finish is very very delicate.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

It’s a bit of a no brainer, if you’re precious about the finish, get a plain black

nickc

c456 wins the weight war, but finish is shit (you get what you pay for) and has some design flaws.

Bfe weighs more and is more stiff (whether that’s good or bad depends on your POV)

dantsw13

My C456 was raw black – no paint to fall off :-))

andyl
    Free Member

raw black C456 here. Just used some matte tape to protect it on the main areas which cost about £10. I put the tape on not to protect the finish but to protect it from abrasion rubbing through whatever lacquer was on there and the epoxy. On the inside of the chainstays I painted on a water based PU as it copes better with muddy tyres rubbing.

tbh even if you don’t want to tape it up you can easily re-spray the frame with a new lacquer after a year or two if you are bothered.

You can convert the C456 to the evo spec with an angleset headset.

Lionheart
    Free Member

James had the same choice, coming from a Summer Season which he loved, after much deliberation went for the C456 (it was cheapest at the time!) Now this bike get hammered, his main bike is his competition DH bike, he also has an old FSR Stumpy which looks likes it is out of Mad Max. The C456, gets taken down DH tracks, run around trail centres, jumped on the BMX track. Built with a slackening headset and Fox Vans on the front and big tyres. He loves it, finish is a touch sensitive but helped with heli tape in usual places. Still think a BFe would be great as well….

andyl
    Free Member

don’t think you will go wrong with either really. The C456 will probably be comfier on all day rides. I’ve not ridden a BFe but compared to my aluminium bikes and a friends inbred it’s definitely better at smoothing out rocky descents. But putting aside all the carbon v steel videos the BFe is probably a frame you will worry less about.

catvet
    Free Member

I think the angles are better on the 456 especially the Evo version, big forks on the BFE slackens the seat angle too much for. Gen riding, downhill only makes less difference!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘BFE or an On One 456C….?’ is closed to new replies.