• This topic has 14 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Max.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Best/rideable route for Hellvelyn
  • Mugboo

We are hoping to head up to the Lakes on Mon 5th July.

Its a 4hr round trip for us so we would like a decent ride once we get there.

So, 3 to 4hr ride please, happy to carry if we have to but cycleable would be better.

Techy is good, flowing is gooder?!

Please bear in mind i have never been before so its all new to me..

Cheers Jason

FLV
    Free Member

I like either of these for Hellvelyn.

1. Leave glenridding on the road north, mooch round the back and up over great dodd. go over all the dodds, round the back of dollywagon, descend to grizedale tarn, go lft and enjoy the techy and brilliant ride the rest of the valley.

2. Go up to grizedale tarn, lug the bike up to dolly wagon, decend and climb over the summit and then follow the riges to sticks pass, hang a right for a loooong decent, less techy than the above, but still techy.

I can go into more detail if needs be

paul4stones

There's a video of a descent of Sticks Pass on the net somewhere which gives a good impression of it. Probably more techy and flowey than the other one.

FLV
    Free Member

2. thnking about it, maybe go up another way, its not so ridable up that way 🙄

Mugboo

Anybody else got a tuppeneth to add?

parkedtiger
    Free Member

Going up, either Glenridding – Keppel Cove – Lower Man, or for a longer day head (as mentioned) up the road towards Dockray, over to the Coach Road and over the Dodds. Going down, another vote for Lower Man, Raise, and Sticks Pass back to Glenridding.

Max
    Free Member

3-4 hours? Glenridding – Keppel Cove. Check the time when you get to the top of the Keppel Cove path as to get to the summit and back will probably take more or less an hour / hour and a half from here. If time allows then Lower Man – summit – back down Lower Man – Raise – Sticks pass – Glenridding. Time running short? Just turn right and head straight over Raise towards Sticks. Have a goodun

Mugboo

Thanks one & all.

Subjective, i know but whats your favourite 3 to 4 hr Lakeland ride?

I am planning another two assualts this year..

soops
    Free Member

Max – Is that max who used to live in Ambleside years ago?

Max
    Free Member

Crikey, what a question

There are a number of areas – eg ullswater, kentmere, ambleside, grizedale, coniston, central fells, keswick, western fells + more. Each has a variety of fab rides. Choose an area!

(soops – I did live in Ambleside years ago)

Max
    Free Member

Search for 'Lake District Mountain Biking' by Richard Staton and Chris Gore – the book will give you a feel for some of what's about

soops
    Free Member

max – climbers shop would be where i was from!

GaVgAs
    Free Member

Take a bow mr Max Cousins and Jimmy Taylor,Raleigh product manager. (photo taken after a clean run from Brutts Moss to Great Dodd Summitt 22nd may this year),awesome peice of riding Max 😯

Decent from Helvellyn to Dollywagon is flowey and very fast

Dolly wagon summitt to grisedale tarn is technical,i have never cleaned it yet due to punctures! 😥

Mugboo

If it helps Max my lakeland rides so far are

From Staveley (Wheelbase) a loop they gave us that did Garburn but not Nan Bield (clockwise)

Moor Top car park, NFT to Parkamoor (possibly my favouritist descent) loop around Coniston without going over Walna Scar then up and finish with a little NFT.

Borrowdale Bash (bogtrotters route).

All good rides & wish i didn't have a 5 hr round trip to enjoy them!

I also like the sound of that techy Ulswater path. We are planning on Monday rides to avoid the crowds and don't mind getting a liitle cheeky if it helps make a route work…

Max
    Free Member

…so if you like the sound of the ullswater path then try:

patterdale-bridgend-boredale hause-boredale-martindale-bedafell knott-boredale hause-rooking-high bridleway north towards lake shore-lake shore bridleway-boredale-boredale hause-rooking (again)-patterdale

that's my 1pworth for an ullswater lakeshore route anyhow! Starts from the same place as the helvellyn route too.

(nice pics Gav – that was a great day out; hello exclimbersshop Chris)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Best/rideable route for Hellvelyn’ is closed to new replies.