Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Best weeks biking between Liverpool and Newcastle?
  • thebunk

Mrsbunk and I have two wedding invites on adjacent weekends “oop north”, so seems like a good excuse to take the tent and get some riding in.

Lots of choice, where’s the best campsite near some lovely flowing Singletrack? Dales, North York Moors, Lake District?

Both on Hardtails, if that would make a difference. Was thinking of Dalby forest, as that looks good location wise, but can’t help thinking we might be missing out on something better.

ta,

thebunk.

thebunk

Also it’s in the school holidays, so somewhere away from the huge tourist spots (knew there was a catch!)

grum
    Free Member

I’ve not ridden round there, but there’s the area around the Dales Bike Centre in Reeth – probably much less busy than the Lakes etc. I’ve only walked around there but it looked good for biking and beautiful countryside.

thebunk

Thanks for the only answer grum. Bump for the evening crowd…it’s my summer holiday, it’s very important to me!

Drac

Northumberland north of Newcastle I know but good riding and no crowds.

Skip the tent and go for a nice B&B with Northumberland Mountain Bike breaks.

billysugger
    Free Member

Little campsite at a place called Jerusalem Farm in Luddenden Foot in Calderdale in West Yorkshire (you keeping up with this…) is a nice spot.

djflexure

Grizedale in the Lakes is good – quite rocky so depends if that’s ok with your wife. All sorts of riding to be had, gentle xc loops (like NF trail), steeper technical stuff, some killer hills.

Cheviots as mentioned above, unpopulated, nice days out with lovely views. The stuff that I’ve done was not as technical as the Lakes (Alwinton/ Barrowburn). Quite a bit of sustained climbing but nothing too steep, if that makes sense. Possibly consider some cheeky trails here to join up BW as you hardly see a soul.

Dalby is quite different to the above but has North York Moors close by to mix in some natural riding. Great Bear Active is a B&B in Pickering that do guided rides, skills etc. Stayed with them once and they were good. Never ridden the Moors. Dalby red was good for a day out.

Ridden around Malham in York Dales quite a while back and that was pretty. The rest of the Dales is unexplored for me.

If I had to choose I would probably go for the Lakes as there is so much riding close to where you stay. Tend to go out of season so can’t comment on how busy it gets. Have a holiday in Northumberland each year as my folks are up here and always enjoy it so that would be my second choice with rides out of Wooler, Alwinton and further afield Kielder. Did notice a lot of midge at Kielder last year and pleased not to camp.

cabbage84
    Free Member

Dales biking centre in reeth is very good nice little bunkhouse and the staff are first class and the riding round there is ideal for hardtails

Drac

Yeah we don’t have much technical trails here and certainly not the same as the Lakes standard.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Best weeks biking between Liverpool and Newcastle?’ is closed to new replies.