Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Best 'unlimited' broadband provider?
  • plop_pants
    Free Member

We currently use BT Total Broadband 3, and at a cost of £26.80/month it seems we might be paying way too much. Tesco do ‘unlimited’ for £8. Am I being daft? Are there different types of ‘unlimited’?

CaptJon
    Free Member

some unlimited are limited.

mbydmt
    Free Member

Not Virgin, their DL/UL/youtube speed is atrocious. We’ve got 30mb and even when it’s only 1 person using it it’s still shocking!

bigyinn
    Free Member

Im happy with my Sky unlimited. Line & Broadband for £24pm. Solid reliable service and they do say there are NO caps on their service. Make sure you go for their LLU based service (using their own kit in the exchange, rather than re-branding a BT supplied service).

davidrussell
    Free Member

just a word of warning about SKY bigyinn.

i recently transferred to sky for telephone and BB and because my exchange is LLU Sky didn’t use my broadband MAC code to migrate ADSL (they couldn’t because mac codes only allow you to move across BT infrastructure, not between BT and a 3rd party)Basically sky took me off BT infrastructure and plugged me into their kit. Since the MAC code wasn’t used BT have slapped a £30 broadband circuit cease request on my former ISP which they are in turn billing me for. They’ve also taken their 30 days notice from the cease, instead of when i requested the MAC code. all in all about 40 quids worth of extra cost to migrate ADSL.

I’m contesting this with Sky as we speak.

Shame, because up to that point it was a really slick process and the product is great, bb has been fast and speeds are as good as i got through BT / Eclipse internet.

GoatKarma
    Free Member

If the transfer goes swimmingly, I’m very happy with Sky unlimited as long as you have LLU. Never had any probs with it, and super-fast. Most importantly though, TRUELY UNLIMITED!

Cougar

Look at the broadband checker on http://www.samknows.com to see what’s available, then go from there.

Bucko

I just got Sky Unlimited, £10p/m and free for the first 6 months. Works out at £5 a month for 12 months, nice.

I’ve no idea what the geeks are talking about with ASL and LOL though ^^^

plop_pants
    Free Member

Not having changed provider before, would Sky do all the donkey work in getting me changed over from BT? Or would I have to contact BT first to terminate my contract with them and get a date for their service to finish, then contact Sky to get the their service up and running?

seosamh77
    Free Member

virgin are great for me, 10meg line, speedtest gives me 10.5meg. will be getting upgraded to 20meg in a couple of month free too. cost £21 a month(I’ve no tv or phone with that).

slowoldgit
    Free Member

I’ve had such problems with VM that I’m changing to BT. I’ve no idea what they are like.

Take a look at VM’s broadband help and support forum to see what I mean.

muddodger
    Free Member

Don’t know much on this subject, but I’d avoid BT.
    After recently moving house and being a BT customer, we found the customer service shocking, bordering on absolutely f’n useless.

CBA going into detail, but a supposedly stress free move of a BT line to a BT line was anything but stress free 😯 (for Mrs Muddodger anyway! 😆 )

rewski
    Free Member

BT Infinity here, it’s the mutts nuts.

jonk

o2, be* or a FFTC provider if available in your area.

bigyinn
    Free Member

O2 & Be are the same

Kevevs
    Free Member

just spanked my 10gig limit for the first time on Plusnet today, it’s the new UI on xbox that’s done it. Been watching loads of Tv series on it. and downloading updates for this new-to-me PC. Looks like I’ll be changing ISP too… (I won’t touch BT).

Cougar

Not having changed provider before, would Sky do all the donkey work in getting me changed over from BT?

It all Just Works.

O2 & Be are the same

Yup, though you get a reduction in costs on O2 if you’re an O2 Mobile customer.

ART

Just switched to BT infinity, I think we’ll struggle to use the download limit. Existing BT customer, the engineer was in and out in 15mins, all working from the get go.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Moved from Virgin to BT about 6 months ago when Virgin wanted to put my monthly payment up by 20%. Strangely as soon as I moved to BT my broadband speed shot up. Same exchange same wires. Think long and hard before moving from BT.

bigG
    Free Member

O2 just pretty much did a clean sweep at the uswitch awards, best tech support, best network etc,,, and it’s pretty cheap.

Not so sure that there are any really “unlimited” packages out there these days

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

plop pants, as cougar says, check that link and try the cheapest provider who has their own gubbins in your local exchange.
    I was with Tesco and paying £18 pm getting 1mb download speed, thinking that paying more would give me more, which it didn’t. Now with Orange paying £7.50 pm and getting 14mb. Orange have their own kit in my local exchange. also went with their phone inclusive deal and worked out I’ll save £481.40 per annum on broadband/telephone compared to what I was paying Tesco/BT (should point out I had never changed my BT phone deal from 20 yrs ago so was paying all sorts of silly surcharges ie phone rental).

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

What do you mean by ‘best’? Fastest, chapest, uptime, customer service…?

Zen seem to keep winning Service Provider awards in the mags, rags & online.

Use Think Broadband to compare packages.

hugor
    Free Member

My Sky unlimited is attrocious. I use 2nd class royal mail instead of email if something is really urgent.

pmc00per
    Free Member

Have you spoken with BT. I phone them at the end of each contract and they always reduce my price to lower than advertised rates. I don’t even treated to leave. I am currently paying £13pm with a 40gb limit. They also reduced my phone line rental as well.

I have always had great service from BT, but i guess you can only take people as you find them.

sadmadalan

Virginmedia are good for me – but I have cable and do not need to use the BT provided infrastructure. At 30Mb at the moment and about to move to 60Mb. Even when both boys are at home streaming videos we have reasonable performance. When I have had problems have managed to get them resolved in a reasonable time frame. Will also admit to being IT literate and as such don’t get frightened by the terminology.

takisawa2

30mb VM here & its plenty fast enough. I’ve had 3 or 4, 1mbit/s + downloads going at once before now & still not noticed any slow down. And its about to speed up again soon. 🙂

RichPenny
    Free Member

I moved from BT to Talk Talk because TT were the only company LLU at the exchange. Speed went from 7.5 – 18Mb. Paying £7.25 for 9 months, then £14.50 for an unlimited (in terms of data) connection. They do some data shaping but iirc it’s the torrents that they slow down. I think the limited package had more constraints on it.

Cougar

Not so sure that there are any really “unlimited” packages out there these days

Sky are. They were the only one for a while, but I think a couple of others are too now (can’t remember who though, sorry).

TooTall
    Free Member

See if you can get BT Infinity where you are. Massive difference for not much more cash.

plop_pants
    Free Member

No cable here, unadopted road so it didn’t get layed, so I guess BT infinity is a no go. Decided in the end to give Sky a try, despite the bloke from BT nearly crying down the phone!

soops
    Free Member

post office is £27 broadband and telephone no bt bills

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Best 'unlimited' broadband provider?’ is closed to new replies.