Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Best tubeless wheels?
  • seth-enslow666
    Free Member

I’m looking out for a set of 26inch Tubeless wheels, options are American Classic wheels the one with the white rims, Some Mavic Crossmax ST, or maybe some Hope Pro2 hubs built on Mavic 819 rims or other option Stans rims. Not too sure what to go for. I have never bothered with tubeless before despite owing a few sets of wheels in the past with 819 rims. I’m over 16 stone and mainly ride singletrack and XC over the moors where it can be quite rocky not really big 4 foot jumps.

Should add a few of those options are second hand but in good condition. I quite like the Mavic way of using the rim to seal the hubs without rims strips etc. But are they any good in comparison.

shortcut

I have used 819’s in the past to great effect and they are truely idiot proof with UST Tyres. So definitely worthy of consideration.

I wholeheartedly into the 29er thing in the last year and went to Stans rims (there isn’t a 29er 819!) and was pleasantly surprised. Installing the tape is easy, putting in the valve works and inflation is fine too even with non tubeless tyres (I use CO2) and it works fine! The valve core can then be taken out and you can add sealant. Which sorts itself out in anything from minutes to a few hours to give a good seal and tubeless performance without needing to by expensive tubeless tyres. Both options are good and work.

My advice would be to stick with custom build wheels as replacement parts are easy to get!

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

whats the weight of 819 rim with a Pro2 hubs double butted spokes?

neninja
    Free Member

Massive fan of Stans ZTR rims – now on 2nd set of Flows (sold the 1st set before regretting it and buying another) and also have a set of Arch based wheels, previously also had Olympic wheelset.

They are light for their width and in my personal experience seem to be strong although I’m just over 11st and am mainly a wheels on the ground kind of rider. They’ve been well used in the Lakes and on rocky moorland trails in the North East and have performed faultlessly.

The American Classic wheels look good as do the WTB Stryker and Sun Ringle Black Flag/Charger all of which use Stans NoTubes based rims. It’s hard to get away from the value of the Hope Hoops with Stans Rims though. If you want a more in between rim there is a new version of the Stans Arch coming out imminently.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

whats the weight of 819 rim with a Pro2 hubs double butted spokes?

Not heavy, but not silly light.

I have 819s on Kings, weigh about 13 stone and have used them for four years all over the UK and on various euro mountain ranges without any major issues (touch wood). The biggest problem with them was building them – they’re fiddley and stiff.

The best thing I can say is that I’d buy them again in a heartbeat.

SamB
    Free Member

I’ve never used anything other than Mavic rims so can’t comment on your other options. However 819s (and 823s) with Maxxis UST tyres are an absolute breeze to run tubeless – tyres mount up nice and easy and go up with a track pump with no problems.

sam_underhill

I’m very pleased with my american classic hubs with stan’s crest rims (although you could easily have a string rim if you are heavy on kit). they are very light, hubs spin very freely and convert between different axle “standards”.
    They do work out a bit pricey though!

boxfish
    Free Member

I have 819s and Flows.

The 819s are tubeless faff-free and, initial set-up aside, so are the Flows.

UST tyres from Panaracer/Maxxis/Continental all inflated easily using a track pump.

bigjim

Stans are awesome rims

LoCo
    Free Member

819 xm on hope faultless.

Yetiman
    Free Member

I’ve used 819’s on Hope Pro2 hubs on my hardtails for the past 3 years. They aren’t particularly light but they’ve proved to be reasonably strong and reasonably reliable. I managed to pancake a rear rim in Spain a couple of years ago (I think a loose spoke contributed), and the replacement rim now has a slight egg shape to it after a particularly hard day out in the hills last year, but hasn’t got any worse thankfully.

I also ran Mavic 823’s on my full suss. Bombproof but quite heavy, which were replaced last year with Stans Flow / Pro2 combo. I’ve been extremely pleased with the Flows, they are lighter than the 823’s and 819’s, and the wider rim works better with the type of tyre I run. My biggest gripe with the 819 is it’s narrowness.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

xm819’s and pro2’s cannot fault them in 3 years use……i would have them again in a heartbeat….

swavis

Another vote for pro2’s on 819’s here. Been using them for 3 years without fault and as others have said, going tubless with them is a doddle.
    In fact I’m going to order another set for my full sus bike when I’ve saved some more pennies 😀

mk1fan
    Free Member

15-stone and use Hope Pro II hubs with both Stans Arch and Flow rims.

Not a delicate rider in any way shape or form. Got them on DH and Trail FS bikes and XC and Trail/Jump HT bikes.

Wheels are still true and run smooth. Very light too!

allthegear
    Free Member

Just wish Mavic would bring out an 821…

Rachel

brettjackson
    Free Member

Another vote for 819/pro 2 combo. Mine have suffered *a lot* of abuse and still run true. I got them with plain guage spokes but have since learned the double butted spokes make for a stronger wheel overall.

RealMan
    Free Member

I’d vote for flows on pro IIs.

richmtb

Proper UST is the way to go for minimum faff tubeless.

What about Shimano XT wheels? I’m very happy with mine

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

What about Shimano XT wheels? I’m very happy with mine

Erm – have a set of them too. 😳

Survived Morzine this year and Centrelock is ace.

Genuine UST too, which is always a bonus.

richmtb

Survived Morzine this year and Centrelock is ace.

Yeah they seem genuinely bullet prrof.

Not the lightest but given the state of my lightweight DT Swiss rims I think XT wheels are a good compromise

D0NK

there is a new version of the Stans Arch coming out imminently

wish they’d hurry need some asap. Any news on price weight width?

819s are good and strong but flows are lighter and wider

Shimano XT wheels are light and easy to set up, freehubs are rubbish tho and pricey to change….

…and I’m having trouble with mine at the moment grumble grumble

dingabell
    Free Member

I used to have the XT wheels which were great apart from the bearing seals which let in all kinds of crud and ruined the hub. I’ve now got the American Classics which I love.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

819s are good and strong but flows are lighter and wider

Shimano XT wheels are light and easy to set up, freehubs are rubbish tho and pricey to change….

I think that sums the thread up nicely so far!

ash.addy
    Free Member

I’ve found 819 and CK hubs bulletproof

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

are the American Classic using Stans rims then? if so which one. Also whats spares like for the hubs? are they easy to get, mainly freehub parts as bearings are not a problem to get from anywhere!

P20

I like the stans for weight, relatively easy to set up depending on tyres. Crossmax have been the easiest to set up though in my experience

Northwind

819s are decent enough but stupidly heavy for what they are. I’m in no rush to replace mine but my Flows on the other bike are a far better rim- lighter, wider and stronger, and once taped they work exactly the same for tubeless… The Mavics are beat on every level IMO.

sam_underhill

My am classic hubs where built on stand rims by justridingalong. They are also pretty helpful if you have any queries.

giantjason
    Free Member

i have two bikes with 819s on Hope Pro 2 hubs and they have been bombproof over the last 3 years with no trouble, other than having to replace the bearings in the front hubs.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Best tubeless wheels?’ is closed to new replies.