Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Best tires for Morzine
  • anderslund78
    Free Member

I am going to Morzine this summer – what tires would you recommend for this area? Will be doing a mix of light DH, singletracks, lots of descending and also a bit of climbing on my Intense Tracer 2.

Right now I got some Intense Edge 2.35 the AM version but am considering if there are better options out there?

goodgrief
    Free Member

I can’t imagine going there without 2 ply dh tyres so be honest with yourself, is the uphill going to be a small amount of pedalling to get between the lifts or more significant?
    I have one of the exo ardents and reckon the exo 2.5 minion would be just the ticket if you do need a lighter tyre.

neil853
    Free Member

I got some intense dh tyres last year and the year before, picked them up for about £30 the pair! If I was doing it again though it would probably be minions front and rear if I was going agressive, or something like a 2.4 nobby nic/fat Albert if I was going a bit more xc oriented. Snakeskin versions though!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve 2-ply high rollers (2.5 supertacky)

Managed a week of riding in Spain of which about half the climbing was uplift and half self propelled. The climbing hurt, a lot, but it was do-able, and the grip on the way down was immense. If there had been more uplift then I’d use them again, otherwise I might go for a ‘normal’ rear tyre.

ahsf
    Free Member

i rode maxxis minion 2.35 front 60a up front an highroller 2.35 60a both single ply as i was on a yeti 575 had no problems, 2 ply on me DH bike only for me.

ragleyrider
    Free Member

Either 2.5 Kenda nevagal stick_E which i think are the stickiest tyers on the market at 40a but wear down very quick because of it, i am now going to try the 2.35 Maxxis High roller super tacky on my Ragley Troof, alot of downhillers use the Super tacky so must be a good tyre.

chakaping
    Free Member

I had dual ply 3C High Rollers when I went and they were fine, but there aren’t many rocks round there (more dirt and roots) so this year I will probably go for big volume single ply tyres and DH tubes on my 6in bike.

The Intense tyres will probably be fine in the dry but it might be worth having some mud tyres too in case it rains.

bella
    Free Member

dual ply minions all the way. nuff said.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

High Rollers, I can honestly say over a week in Les Arcs they never put a foot wrong once, . . . . or perhaps that was my expert handling?

pinkyponk
    Free Member

i used intense on the the first trip, maxxis on the second.
    so based on experience ……

Dual ply high rollers or minions and then just enjoy the ride !

steveh

Dual ply maxxis high rollers, super tacky front 60a rear. They’ll last all week easy (you can kill a super tacky rear in that time if you’re brake heavy) and give more grip if it’s wet than minions.

gothandy

+1 super tacky, double ply, wide as you can … nevagals.

MRanger156
    Free Member

Dual ply, super tacky minion or highroller, wider the better. I used a minoin 2.5 ST in morzine and it didn’t miss a beat.

flowmtbguy
    Free Member

first poster was right.

either dual ply jobbies…

…or I was running the 2.5 Minion DHF EXO tyres at the end of last year – saved a kilo of weight – depends if you’re just riding the lifts or not.

alexxx
    Free Member

if your heavy on the rear brake get a 60a.

if it looks like it could rain its best running high rollers for the dry/wet compromise

if it looks bone dry minions

2.5 super tacky on the front in either tyre and 2.35 or 2.5 on the back depending on how much speed you want or how much grip you want

alexxx
    Free Member

Oh and dual plys are a must pretty much unless you like faffing about with replacing inner tubes far away from home

MarkN
    Free Member

I guess I must have been lucky last year or the tubeless system worked a treat. Week in Morzine on 2.35 single ply High Rollers and no major issues to speak off. Others in the group seemed to be constantly sorting punctures mind.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

dual ply High rollers (if it’s dry and it’s never dry all week!!) so dual ply minions 2.35 are better all round but 2.5’s will be nice all the way down to bar robinson

DT78
    Free Member

dual ply minon front, HR rear. Spare front wheel with a swampthing on…swap the rotor off you go 🙂

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Dual plys, DH tubes. Its not like you’re gonna be riding uphill is it.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Best tires for Morzine’ is closed to new replies.