• This topic has 15 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by rob2.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Best small banger for town and shopping.
  • cyclelife
    Free Member

As above, need a small old car as a town runaround. £500 ish.

binners

Something Japanese.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Toyota Yaris. Get a 2003 or earlier, they were built in Japan then. Solid little cars.

redstripe
    Free Member

As above, japanese stuff. One of my kids bought a 60,000 mile Honda Civic a year ago for £450 and is still using it, very reliable and past the MOT again no problem.

maccruiskeen

If its only about town then you’ll get better value for money buying a larger car. Small economical cars fetch a premium at the bottom of the market because everyone who’s wanting to buy cheap wants one. Bigger engined cars are cheaper when they are old as the are perceived as expensive to run but if you’re only town driving then MPG isn’t really a factor. That doesn’t mean go buy a Range Rover, but Golf – Mondeo sized cars will be in better condition for price and not much less economical that a supermini.

Stick to petrol engines for town use. With most cars the middle sized engine in their range tends to be the most economical

Go main stream – buy whatever you see the most off on the road at the age of car you’re looking for – cars that were either popular with consumers or bought for fleet use will typically have the cheapest / most available spares and your local garage is most likely to know their foibles and diagnose faults quickly and cheaply.

Murray

First style Nissan Micra.

Japanese doesn’t always mean total reliability – 2 of my friends eventually killed Japanese built Civics (coupe or something).

matt_outandabout

Our Yaris d4d finally died after 130k requiring nothing but two wheel bearings and a new alternator. Unfortunately the glow plugs all broke snd seized in place – mot fail. Next doors Yaris was traded in for £250, another 2003 but petrol model with 75k on clock.
    Friend had a Micra of similar age, that was also robust and really cheap on parts.

I would go Japanese, manual, pre faffy electrics, looked after with full s/h and not put off by high miles. I wouldn’t get too tied to a model or Japanese – check out the owner and condition.

We once looked for a fiesta, but on same forecourt was 13yr/130k Mazda 323 1.5 with a thick file of date order invoices and MOT, all in one name at the same garage, including a twice a year full valet and polish sat on front seat. We ran it for 18mths/18k, it cost one tyre and we sold it for £150 more than we paid….

jambalaya
    Free Member

2 of my friends eventually killed Japanese built Civic

I think we can give Honda some slack, cars will not last forever !

As above we had a Yaris as a “family car” for kids still going strong after 11 years and a bike will go in the back (front wheel off) with passanger seat forward. Tough bit maybe finding one

cyclelife
    Free Member

Cheers guys – juts kicked the corsa off the list!!

sbob
    Free Member

Murray – Member

First style Nissan Micra.

You mean the MkII.
    Mine made it to 20yrs old in good health before someone parked their nazi staff car into the back of it.

redthunder
    Free Member

Thought you said Badger 😉

butcher

…looked after with full s/h and not put off by high miles.

Whilst that’s generally good advice, it’s easier said than done for the OPs needs. When I’ve looked, I’ve found the cheap small car market is a very competitive one, and the cars themselves are rarely cheap. FSH is for £500 is a big ask. And with cars that usually have small engines and do lots of short journeys, I think it’s difficult to be confident with high milers.

That said, price of the old Micras are dropping now. And they are bombproof if you get a good one.

I’d suggest Japanese too. Made the mistake of buying a Fiesta in that price range twice now… One lasted 6 months, the other maybe almost made it to a year. Never again.

Toyota Yaris or something.

blader1611
    Free Member

I am somewhat a traditionalist and like the pork ones from M&S

dovebiker

2000 Yaris – our Verso 1.3 automatic refuses to die, biggest bills are tyres and exhausts every few years. The guys who service it every year say they’re really well made and have few faults. When it does go, will try to find another.

mike399
    Free Member

Id look at the Honda Jazz. Cheap and almost cheerful.

rob2
    Free Member

Honda Jazz. End of thread. Loads of room, easy to park, I got five bike in the back of mine with the seats down!

Only negative if the metal dents easily from other people opening doors onto it.

I love ours. Best car we’ve ever had

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Best small banger for town and shopping.’ is closed to new replies.