Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • Best real ale pub in the Lakes?
  • RustySpanner

True that.

We stayed at the old Vicarage in Lorton a lifetime ago and the people who ran the Wheatsheaf were ace.

montylikesbeer

As stated by other Golden Rule in Ambleside, and the pork pies nom nom nom nom nom

d45yth
    Free Member

I wonder how long it is since some folk have been to some of the places they mention?
    The Bitter End in Cockermouth (my home town) did away with the stools at the bar to discourage drinkers and tried to sell more expensive food.
    The 1761 is nice, but can be hit-or-miss depending on what guest ales they have on. The Castle Bar over the road sells all real ales for £2 a pint on sunday afternoons (12-6). 😀
    I think the food at the Prince of Wales (Foxfield) is possibly the worst I’ve ever had. I was gagging whilst eating it, but tried to force it down as I’d had nothing else to eat all day! I would and have gone back for the beer though.

tomaso
    Free Member

A lot depends on where you are riding as its more of a question of what is the best pub at the end of my ride in Elterwater, Kentmere, Grizedale, Borrowdale etc.

Pedantry aside I would concur with many who have recommended pubs with breweries – Watermill at Ings, Hawkshead Brewery at Stavely, Drunken Duck at Barngates all mentioned but the Ship Inn in Greenod is a cracking pub and the young brewer is often serving and happy to chat about his beer and seems really pleased with any feedback. The Ship has also been modernised recently and is a bit less old granny.

I was in the Britannia Inn at Elterwater last night and the beer was excellent and there were 5 or 6 decent beers on. Food is quite good too.

The Mill at Ulverston is quite good and serves Lancaster Breweries beers and plenty of others.

freeridenick
    Free Member

Wasdale Head Inn ? proper walkers pub and some great beers
    only place I have seen Loweswater gold – my favorite beer out there.

Its also a cracking stop to fuel up on the 4 passes (best day out in the Lakes IMO) before the hideous climb up to Styhead…

speshspenner
    Free Member

What you need is one of these here maps….

Available from here beer map of lakes

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Church house inn, torver. Proper old pub with good beer, and a busty wench of a barmaid who slides off her seat upon hearing a scots accent….. 😀

tomaso
    Free Member

Yes the Church Inn is very nice and also serves Loweswater Gold almost always :mrgreen:

Pieface

I thought the wasdale inn had fallen from grace when I last went (this summer), seem to remember it having more if their own beer on tap.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

The Boot Inn, Boot, Eskdale. Actually if you go during the Boot Beer Festival (which i do) then you’ve got two very good pubs and one ok-ish pub all within staggering distance of each other.

Word of warning though, don’t take in the ride over to Burnmoor Tarn via Mitedale then drink the strongest cider you can buy at the Woolpack Inn – not unless you want to fall off your bike on the way back to the campsite 😳

desboy3
    Free Member

Oi Nobeer! I think you’ll find she slid off her seat at the sound of an Irish accent! However I will second your recommendation and raise you Tweedies in Grasmere.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

d45yth – Member
    I wonder how long it is since some folk have been to some of the places they mention?

Feb this year – not been back since leaving the country though.

Bitter End was still doing good food then and good beer. Used to mainly go week nights for a bite to eat and few beers.
    1761 always seemed good when I was in there.
    Castle was OK but seemed more into their larger 🙁

Anyway by the sound of most of the replies the lakes still ends just past Bassenthwaite so will still be quiet in Cockermouth.

tommytowtruck

Oh yeah, the Prince of Wales is supposed to be good though i’ve never been myself. Luckily, i’m moving back to Cumbria soon so should get the chance to find out. Awesome.

djglover
    Free Member

http://www.towerbankarms.co.uk/ OR http://drunkenduckinn.co.uk/

Frequented both, a lot, during a 2 week holiday this July

Happy days 🙂

ETA: Lake district maps of the fells or pubs in a tube map format – NO, just NO!

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

I was about to ask if you were around these parts Tommy!

The Mill in Ulverston is, indeed, where the bloke from the Black Dog has wound up. Great pub, and about 200m from my front door 😉 Also The Swan in Ulverston is superb.

Eagle and Child in Stavely used to be a favourite haunt. Not made it to The Watermill as yet, superb place though I have heard. There are so many great pubs in the Lakes though – just avoid anything saying “Robinsons” on the sign 😉

djglover
    Free Member

Not made it to The Watermill as yet,

Yeah, brilliant, many many ales on tap, beautifully kept and totally family friendly. Food was great too.

🙂

Need to find my accommodation for next years visit now ….

kimbers

i can vaguely remember the masons arms cartmere fell being a cracker

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Why not stay at The Watermill… they have rooms afterall 😉

I was meaning to do it for my birthday, but alas a baby came along! It is on “the list” though. Fancy doing laps of the taps 😉

sparksmcguff

Oh excellent question Ton. Am on a bit of a mission to drink my way around all Lake pubs with micro-breweries and any decent looking real ale establishment.

Favourite pub/micro brewery beer so far is the Black Bull in Coniston. However, it is an idiosyncratic type of place (I love it, the OH walked in and straight out). Favourite pub Eagle and Child in Stavely. If you run out of beer you can always head up to the Hawkshead brewery (good beer, corporate ambience) in the station yard (next to Wilfs Cafe).

Overrated pub/micro-brewer/beer is the Barngate Brewery.

Underrated beer Stringers XB (also love Ulverston Brewing cos Laughing Gravy).

However, favourite Lakeland pub has got to be the Tower Bank arms in near Sawrey. Excellent well kept beer, good food, lovely location and a landlord that isn’t overly friendly but takes very good care of his customers. (Also the last place I ever shared a pint with my dad).

Been to all of these in the last 18 months.

zokes
    Free Member

As others have said, Prince of Wales in Foxfield, Eagle and Child in Staveley, The Masons Arms at Strawberry Bank, the Watermill at Ings. Another good one was in Gosford I think near Wasdale – very very good and a microbrewery too I think.

To be fair, it’s not a difficult question to answer – there are lots of good pubs with decent beer. If the one you’re in is crap, the next one probably won’t be!

tommytowtruck

That’s pretty handy Capt.K! Yeah, I grew up in Grange – moved away about 15 years ago to go to university, but just landed a job in Barrow so will be moving back up in a few months time. Lots of pubs for me to check out looking at this thread!

Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Best real ale pub in the Lakes?’ is closed to new replies.