Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • Best real ale pub in the Lakes?
  • ton

idea’s greatly welcomed.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Kirkstyle inn, bitter end in cockermouth and 1761 there too.

scuttler

Most unconventional is the brewery at Staveley.

I personally quite like Tweedies Bar in Grasmere. Doesn’t really sound like the right answer to your question but parking’s easy, bikes are ‘safe’, beer and snacks are good, the place is warm and if its sunny you can sit outside.

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

Many years ago Mrs and I spent our honeymoon in the summerhouse of Wray Castle and had a good few nights at the Drunken Duck which was within easy walking distance – food and beer were great, fond memories of that pub.

surfer
    Free Member

Drunken Duck is Mrs Surfers favourite, bit pricey though

drinkmoreport
    Free Member

Dog & Gun in Keswick

MrGreedy

Watermill in Ings (between Staveley and Windermere) is good, has their own microbrewery with 4 or 5 of their ales on draught plus a similar number of guest beers.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Drunken Duck and old fan but too pricey now IMO. Outgate close with good ale and sensibly priced food. Golden Rule in A’side, ODG in Langdale and Masons Arms on Cartmell Fell

RustySpanner

Middle-Ruddings in Braithwaite.

Just down the road from Whinlatter. 🙂

Always a great selection of good beer.

Nice place to stay, lovely people, decent rooms and the food is excellent.

tommytowtruck

The Black Dog near Dalton used to be very good. The fella running it now runs a place in Ulverston, The Mill I think.
    Another vote for ODG and the Masons Arms, though I haven’t been to either in a few years!

totalshell

what ever that pub is by the bridge in coniston..

geetee1972
    Free Member

It’s far from the most salubrious pub in the area but there is a very special place in my heart for The Old Dungeon Ghyll at the top end of the Langdale Valley. Apart from serving Jennings and Theakstons, it is a place I spent some very happy times with my Dad and brother as kids while camping walking and climbing there.

grum
    Free Member

My friend’s folks run the Golden Rule in Ambleside (as mentioned by THM) – seem to have a decent selection of well-kept ales – hasn’t been all upper middle-class gastropubified like most places in the Lakes.

http://goldenrule-ambleside.co.uk

spawnofyorkshire

+1 for the ODG

honeybadgerx

bitter end in cockermouth

Is the pub still alright since the bottling brewery bit of it went kaput at the start of the year? Was gutted I hadn’t stocked up on their Lakeland IPA, was lovely stuff.

Personally a big fan of the Brittania Inn in Elterwater – Great surroundings, ace location for riding, slightly limited selection of ales but usually all good and well kept, cosy inside, good beergarden and good food. Also a fan of the Golden Rule in Ambleside, and as a bit of an out of the way one the Newfield Inn in Seathwaite (Duddon) is also good.

Not a big fan of the Old Dungeon Ghyll in Langdale, over-priced and the beer isn’t normally kept well, Can’t fault it for surroundings on a nice day mind.

trailmonkey

Brotherswater Inn at the foot of the Kirkstone Pass. Fabulous pint(s) of Jennings and awesome food, cheaply priced.

wors

what ever that pub is by the bridge in coniston.

The yewdale?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Hawkshead Brewery – in erm Stavely.

The Watermill Inn – Ings

The Drunken Duck used to be a great pub years ago, then it went bistro and expensive

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

wors – Member

what ever that pub is by the bridge in coniston.

The yewdale?

Ha!

The Black Bull

midlifecrisis
    Free Member

The beer in the Hawkshead brewery in Staveley is great but the atmosphere inside is not that great. I’d much prefer a pint at the Watermill at Ings.

poolman
    Free Member

the pub in stavely village is good – meals are only a fiver which sadly beats Wilfs cafe into second place now. Real fires too.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

The Crown, in Hesket Newmarket. Bit off the beaten track (unless your riding around Back O’ Skiddaw) but they brew their own beer…

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Yep Old Dungeon Ghyll ideal spot after a Hike or Bike ride, or like I did a few weeks ago got the bus from Ambleside and had a few beers while waiting for the bus back.

olddog

+1 for Britt Inn at Elterwater, really friendly, good food too, and good local riding. I’ve stayed there and at the youth hostel which is a couple hundred yards up the road and a lot cheaper!

warton
    Free Member

really sorry, but can I quickly hijack this thread?

whats the name of the big hotel on the road between keswick and honister pass, and is it any good?

thanks 🙂

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

LODORE SWISS?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

On the traditional Iron Keld round – the wainwright is not a bad place to stop. Not that traditional but perfect spot. If you take a LH fork just after the gate and the woods as you descend to E’water, there is a nice techie section down to quarry and afterwards that brings you out right opposite the pub. Quick pint, then climb up red bank and the terrace to finish!

parkedtiger
    Free Member

hotel on the road between keswick and honister pass,

Could be The Lodore or the Borrowdale Hotel. I’ve only ever eaten at them, never stayed – sorry.

The Crown, in Hesket Newmarket.

+ 1 for The Crown.

uwe-r
    Free Member

The hole in’t wall in Bowness is a good pub. Cant remember if it was real ale but I am sure it was.

chakaping
    Free Member

the pub in stavely village is good

The Eagle and Child – really nice pub, good beer and huge portions of grub.

I definitely need to do more research on this subject though.

smiththemainman
    Free Member

I hate the stuff but apparently both excellent and within a couple of miles of each other, The Manor Arms , Broughton-in-Furness and The Prince of Wales in Foxfield. Both had best part of 10 different ales on last time I was in , the Prince had no “normal” lager on at all not even bottles!!!

postierich
    Free Member

Hawkshead Brewery in Staveley,good beer but pants atmosphere the Eagle and Child sells the beer and as above good food and fires!
    The Watermill has very sullen staff and pricey IMHO
    Majority of Kendals pubs are very poor but enjoying the Ring of Bells for cheap beer and Darts.
    Pub in Near Sawery is pretty good forget its name something Arms!
    Rich

MountainMutant
    Free Member

Tower Bank Arms

surfer
    Free Member

The Queens head in Troutbeck is nice, in a nice location and with one of my favourite views over Yolk, Ill Bell and Froswick, serve some nice beers but sometimes the atmosphere is a bit sterile.

andylakes

Seconded the Prince of Wales at Foxfield its ace, good beers and the food is home made and great. Really friendly people there too!.

chakaping
    Free Member

Prince of Wales at Foxfield

Is that the one opposite the train station and sells the enormous pasties?

Looked like you could spend several happy days there!

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Prince of Wales at Foxfield
    Is that the one opposite the train station and sells the enormous pasties?

Looked like you could spend several happy days there!

I used to live there! The present owners bought it off my parents around ’97.

grum
    Free Member

Prince of Wales in Foxfield was amazing when we went there – great beer and it’s got a very unique feel about it. Old bar billiards table etc.

Seconded the Prince of Wales at Foxfield its ace, good beers and the food is home made and great. Really friendly people there too!.

You’re not supposed to talk about the food! Seriously, we had great food (enormous pasties indeed) in there, but when we asked what times they normally serve the landlady wouldn’t tell us – she said they don’t like to advertise that they do food because they want people to come for the beer. 🙂

BenjiM

The Wheatsheaf at Lorton. Cracking pub, with good food and a camp site. Well tucked away. Church House Inn (I think at Torver) and of Course the Watermill at Ings.

warton
    Free Member

The lodore, that’s it, cheers!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Best real ale pub in the Lakes?’ is closed to new replies.