Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 126 total)
  • best quality flat pedal?
  • ton

one for pedal abusers. money no object, what is the best quality flats pedal?

shimano pedals have always lasted me ages, so the saints have my vote so far.

anything much better?

smokey_jo

The Hope F20 I have seems very well made indeed, nice low profile and hasn’t lost \ny pins yet. Absolutely zero play to boot. They are a bit spendy though

kneebiscuit
    Free Member

Burgtec?

Tracey

Too big for my dainty feet but Boomslangs without a doubt. Im a Specialized pro mag girl, the pair I have are going on twelve years old, which are great for my size fours.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Burgtecs. Tracey ain’t to be trusted, unless ye want spesh! 😆

big_scot_nanny

Ton, I know there’s a million different opinions, but of the 2 folks I know with saints (me and my mate Bal, who weighs about half what I do) have had them fail spectacularly. Not recommended.

I was about to ask the same question as you, as I having a bit of a mare with pedals at the mo. So far, all flat pedals have failed within a year that I’ve tried (except M520 spuds – 7 years old and still going on the commuter) – I don’t mind treating them as disposable, but it’s a bot of a ride killer when they do fail!
    Fails – superstar nano’s & nano x, Specialized boomslang, Saints, welgo jobs, and a bunch of other emergency replacement ones that I’ve bought, normally in the porters du soleil!

Tracey

Got a set of Burgtecs on the Chameleon, also some V8s, V12s, and Beenies. The Boomslangs are in a different league. Kevin only uses the Burgtecs because Abigale bought them as a Christmas present.
    Barnsley lasses can always be trusted. 😀

MSP

Best quality for pedal abusers by a country mile Straitline Defacto

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/straitline-defacto-platform-flat-pedal/rp-prod92591

I prefer the dmr vault for the platform size, I have only had them a couple of months and accept I will have to replace them annually. Whereas the straitlines were barely worn in after a couple of years riding.

Saints are **** awful, just the shape of the platform is all wrong just doesn’t feel right underfoot.

ps and we are about the same size ton, no testing by a 6 stone weakling here.

RobHilton
    Free Member

I’ve got a set of black straitlines I don’t need if you want to give them a try Ton.

dudeofdoom

Burgtecs are nice ,Saints are nice and shocker superstar nanos aren’t half bad either.

longmover
    Free Member

Deity decoys are amazingly robust, 3 years old and no play, they have survived countless smashes against rocks and plenty of crashes. Best pedal I have owned, better than Easton Cullys, Saints, DMR V12, shimano DX.

mikertroid
    Free Member

Unimpressed with Saints failing pretty early into their life, Nano-X working well and I’m very impressed with my Nukeproof Electrons.

paulneenan76
    Free Member

Saints have lasted donkeys for me. New bike is getting Race Face Chesters; nylon jobs, light, good platform, colour options and nylon takes a kicking.

ton

I’ve got a set of black straitlines I don’t need if you want to give them a try Ton.

emailed you Rob

ton

thanks for all the ideas everyone.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Syntace Numbernine Titan

End of thread

leekspannermonkey
    Free Member

Ive had/got 3 sets of dmr vaults,been faultless and are the nicest hollowed out shape ive found,really mould well to the soles.
    been mega smooth with virtually no maintenance

mikey74
    Free Member

I was a big fan of Spank Spikes, until they rattled themselves apart. DMR Vaults have been great since.

Oh, and stay away from Point One Podiums, if they still make them. Over-priced rubbish.

LAT

Another vote for straitline de facto. Sturdy, grippy and very easy to rebuild.

tomhoward

I like the burgtecs, have a pair on my HT, but I prefer race face atlas’ which I have a couple of pairs on a couple of bikes.

Don’t dislike specialized bennies pedals enough to change the oem ones on the 2 Spesh bikes I have, they are ok, if a bit ‘less polished’ than the two above

Northwind

Still trying vaguely to find something better than my old Protons- mag body, ti axle, light and strong enough and grippy and thin and a good size.

flaps
    Free Member

Up until Sunday I would have said Vaults. My right shin no longer likes them.

honourablegeorge

Have seen several pairs of straitlines fail – despite their massive strength and weight.

Vaults every time for me.

Speeder

mikey74 – Member
    Oh, and stay away from Point One Podiums, if they still make them. Over-priced rubbish.

To balance that I quite like mine, though I don’t ride much and certainly not in the wet much. And I’ve already purchased the rebuild kit for when the tiny bearings implode.

mikey74
    Free Member

I liked them, they just didn’t last long which is poor, considering the price.

Gotama
    Free Member

Vaults have a great platform but need a fair bit of looking after to keep them spinning nicely. That said I think it might be weight dependent as both my pairs got very sticky very soon after putting them on, as did a mate’s who is a similar weight (we’re both around 100kg) whereas a flyweight 75kg friend has no issues at all.

vondally
    Free Member

Like gotma says, vaults have not worked for me not that grippy not reliable,. 96 kgs rider here, nanos did not like saints dies rapidly straight lines not a fan however wellgo variants have been ace grippy and reliable, however my Easton cully’s are still the best

Edit wellgo one are not the end copies but something like b52 big platform and grub screw pins …..

Kahurangi

Don’t even go near the Spank Spikes….

jeffl

I’ve got welgo copies of DMR vaults. I cut a small hole in the end of the dust cover and pump in freah grease every six months or so. Thus far they’ve lasted a couple of years and looking at strava over 4000 miles. Could do with a bigger and thinner platform but they do appear bomb proof. Oh and I’ve never had to rebuild them.

mcj78
    Free Member

I like the Shimano DX (mx30) ones – once you fit longer pins that is – only issue is the pins are only 2.5mm grub screws so after taking a few rock strikes the pins tend to get ripped out taking some of the pedal meat with it, makes fitting new ones a pain in the barse… also because the pins are so thin & long (well, the ones i fitted are…) they will tear anything that gets in their way to absolute ribbons.

Actually, scrap that – I don’t like them that much & you should buy something else 😆

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

+1 for the Spank Spikes. The bearing in mine seized solid within a year.
    Now using Hope F20’s but not for long enough to offer any real experience, other than the fact that they are lovely so far.

I used Superstar nano’s for 4 years without any issue. For the money, I reckon they are a contender for best value.

andysredmini
    Free Member

Aside from people’s preference for grip level, size etc then the Best quality award has to go to hope F20 by a long shot.
    The worst award goes to Syntace Numbernine Titan. Yes they are stupidly expensive big, grippy and amazingly light but the longevity is appalling. I gave up after the second rebuild and I think they are now in a mates car door pocket.

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

Another vote for Hope F20s for durability. Mine have been hard used and smacked very hard off rocks, ridden in horrible conditions, never serviced and after 2 years are smooth, free from play and have lost no pins.

alexxx
    Free Member

Superstars… literally never broke a pair and I’ve got the ones with ti axles and they’ve been fine for 2 years… so cheap you can buy 2 sets for the price of the hope f20s ect…

warpcow
    Free Member

For all-out quality I’d also say Hope. Nanos work fine, but the feel is not even close to Hope f20s. I also looked at Vaults and Burgtec mk4s, but ended up with Hopes.

kevhl
    Free Member

Looked into this recently and am about to put new bearings in my decade old easton flatboys (that are still sold now). They’ve been great pedals for me.

neilbelfay
    Free Member

Related topic coming from comment about angry shins. I have a prototype for an extremely lightweight shin guard roughly the size of an old fashioned tongue depressor. Does nothing but keep your flats from eating your shins. I’ve been contemplating manufacturing and taking to market, but have just been too busy to bother. If I can get these things below $5 retail, what’s the level of interest in something that will keep the pins at bay if it’s 20 to 30 grams per shin and almost unnoticeable when riding? I know: lots of details to determine if it’s something you’d want, but general concept sound like I should make the time?

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Superstar Delta Mags for me…

creamegg
    Free Member

Another vote for Straitline Defacto. Pricey but 42% off at CRC at the moment. I’ve had a few pedals over the years and these are my favourite by a long shot.

lapdog
    Free Member

Ming the Merciless got it right. Money no object there is only Syntace Titan 9 pedals. I have owned quite a few flat pedals and had my syntaces for nearly 2 years _ they are head and shoulders better then anything else I have tried.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 126 total)

The topic ‘best quality flat pedal?’ is closed to new replies.