Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Best place to buy RAM and battery for Macs
  • sparkingchains
    Free Member

Anyone know if Cruial and Kngston are still god places to buy ram?

I’m also after a new battery for a 2009 macbook pro. Any suggestions as to a good place to buy that and a good brand are very welcome.

Cheers in advance!

Jamie
    Free Member

Both Crucial and Kingston are good for RAM.

I would go OE for the battery. Prices here: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/mac-notebooks/repair/service/pricing

sparkingchains
    Free Member

Thanks Jamie. £179 for Apple to do it is quite steep, would prefer a cheaper alternative (I’m confident I could change it myself).

tiim
    Free Member

Crucial ram is fine. I’m on a second upgrade into the same machine with it now (Finances being the reason for doit it in two smaller steps two years apart). Second time around the crucial memory was cheaper on amazon than direct from them despite being the exact same product.

My battery (similar era macbook as yours) is dieing so will watch these battery recommendations closely.

jambalaya
    Free Member

RAM switch is trivial, hardest part for me is undoing the screws on the back. Crucial / Kingston are good, I have used another supplier (forgot name 😳 ) and they where fine too, my point is many decent options available. As on other threads I have done 4+4 and one single 8 chip in another machine to give 2+8=10. Going from 4 to 8 is worthwhile, above that unkess younare very graphics//processor intensive then an ssd is a better bet

EDIT: worth checking max ram as Apple site sometimes understates what you can put it. Is 1066Mhz is expensive you can run 1333 (I think worth checking). If machine is “slow” worth checking ram pressure in Activity Monitor to see if its ram. Worth downloading BlackMagicSpeedTest to cehck hdd speed (35-40 ?, my 7200rpm replacement hdd runs at 100 and an SSD will do 250)

penac

I’ve brought ram and drives from this place before, always been good

https://www.macupgrades.co.uk/store/

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Best place to buy RAM and battery for Macs’ is closed to new replies.